Consumer Reports Safety Alert - (Withdrawn)

Wineaux

Re: Consumer Reports Safety Alert

You can see the cosy tot results if you google 'oeamtc kindersitze' it translated into 'cosy dead' for ahwile, because it's originally in german (tot=dead)

:)
Thanks! I did the search as you suggested and looked at the results. I wish I could read German, but the translated pages were pretty readable. There were some neat looking car seats there for sure. Interestingly the Peg model in their test was the same one here in the States. I'm not sure if they are 100% identical, but it was the only one using the exact same model name.

I did some other digging and found a really neat page in English concerning having a baby in Vienna. They do an incredible job taking care of their mothers-to-be and moms over there. Check out this little tidbit!
Car Seats for Babies and Children and the Law

Car seat laws are applicable for children up until 12 years of age and 1.5m tall. Newborns and up until about 9 months or 9kg need to be in an infant car seat. These are rearward facing and must never be used in any seat with an airbag. If you don't want to buy one, you can rent one from the ÖAMTC. There is a required returnable deposit depending on the model you use.

The next stage car seat lasts up until 18 kg. After that a booster seat is required. Once they reach the minimum 12 years and are at least 1.5m tall they may sit in the seat with a seatbelt. Austrian law also requires children under 12 to sit in the back.

The emphasis in the paragraph is mine. Don't we all wish there were similar programs here in the States? Don't you wish the car seat laws were as stringent?

ADS

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor

IIHS does not test car seats for one simple reason. Their funding comes from automobile insurance companies. Insurance companies want to know which car fares better so they can adjust their rates accordingly. While IIHS is certainly interested in occupant protection, they just don't have the child passenger safety seats in mind when they test cars.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Right, the ISOFIX is the European word for "LATCH" essentially (with rigid metal connectors and no top tether). The support foot they are referring to for the cosy tot is just that, a support foot, no special name :)

from http://www.maxi-cosi.com
scroll down and click on "News"

Right, the ISOFIX is the European word for "LATCH" essentially (with rigid metal connectors and no top tether). The support foot they are referring to for the cosy tot is just that, a support foot, no special name :)

Description of Isofix system is near the bottom past their automatically locking restraint system on "Tobi" carseat and International Consumer testing.

IsoFix: a new method of installing a car seat in a car.
IsoFix stands for International Standard Organisation FIX.
IsoFix is a worldwide standardised attachment system for child car seats. The main advantage of IsoFix is that the system makes a rigid connection between the child car seat and the car. This offers extra strength and ensures that the child seat is not too loose which is the main problem with car seats that are fixed with a safety belt for adults. Moreover, with IsoFix the seat is much more easy to install than when a safety belt is used. The main advantage of IsoFix is that it minimises the likelihood of incorrect fitting.

Car seats have been developed to protect children during an accident. The real safety effect depends on the correct installation, irrespective of the quality of the car seat. All kinds of safety norms and regulations are used in the design of a car aimed at the adults sitting in it, but little or no attention is paid to the safety of children. The seat cushions, safety belts and anchor points are all aimed at the comfort and optimum protection of adults. However, all these systems are also used to attach safety equipment for children. Child car seats are also often fitted incorrectly as it is very difficult to fit them with safety belts for adults.

A list of the advantages of Maxi-Cosi IsoFix:

Simple to install

Excellent test results

Minimum chance of incorrect installation

You can see immediately whether the seat is fitted properly
Extra support leg for additional stability and safety

How does IsoFix work?
The idea behind Isofix is simple: With IsoFix you simply click the car seat into the two IsoFix anchor points in the car. The car should have the two IsoFix anchor points and also the car seat should be fitted with IsoFix co nnections. Both the Maxi-Cosi EasyFix and the Maxi-Cosi PrioriFix are fitted with IsoFix connections. The car seat should have a third attachment point to prevent the car seat from tipping forwards. The Maxi-Cosi products (EasyFix, EasyBase and PrioriFix) are fitted with a third attachment point, an extra 'leg' that rests on the car base and the height of which can be adjusted with a simple handle.

southpawboston

IIHS does not test car seats for one simple reason. Their funding comes from automobile insurance companies. Insurance companies want to know which car fares better so they can adjust their rates accordingly. While IIHS is certainly interested in occupant protection, they just don't have the child passenger safety seats in mind when they test cars.

i don't understand. insurance companies want to know which cars fare better in terms of injury/death claims, right? so wouldn't it be in their interest to extend this to injury/death of children and infants as well as adults? or are infant and children deaths rare enough for the insurance companies to deem it not worthwhile/cost effective to do CPS seats?

Wineaux

I just came across Transport Canada's response to the CR article... I think it's a pretty good response actually.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/TP14563C/2007c02/menu.htm

It's a good response, albeit this part here does give one pause though...

Transport Canada does not rate, endorse or approve children’s restraint systems and booster cushions. Under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Transport Canada develops and enforces the Motor Vehicle Restraint Systems and Booster Cushions Safety Regulations (RSSR). Certification of compliance to the RSSR is the responsibility of the manufacturer or importer ("self-certification"). Manufacturers or importers of children's restraint systems and booster cushions must affix the national safety mark (i.e., a prescribed label with the Canadian maple leaf) to their products to certify they meet all applicable Canadian requirements in effect on the date of manufacture. Transport Canada monitors compliance with the RSSR by providing technical advice to manufacturers, conducting audits of manufacturers' certification documentation, conducting compliance testing, investigating compliance test failures and other non-compliance conditions, and investigating public complaints alleging safety-related defects.

I don't know, but it seems to me that this paragraph is is basically saying that if there's a problem, it's not us, but the manufacturers who are at fault. The whole "fox guarding the henhouse" scenario.

I'm not saying there is a problem, or attacking Transport Canada, but I had no idea that they didn't actually test their seats like we do here in the US, or like the EU does. They just give the manufacturers a set of guidelines and tell them to make sure your seats comply. If you say they do, we'll give you the stickers and say they're approved for use in Canada.

Does this make anyone else just a tad uneasy as well? Is it just my pessimistic nature?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Consumer Reports Retraction

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/campaignkidscarsandsafety/004169.html

Consumer Reports Withdraws Infant Car Seat Report
Move is Made Pending Additional Testing Now Underway

NEW YORK (Jan. 18) — Consumer Reports is withdrawing its recent report on infant car seats pending further tests of the performance of those seats in side-impact collisions.

A new report will be published with any necessary revisions as soon as possible after the new tests are complete.
We withdrew the report immediately upon discovering a substantive issue that may have affected the original test results. The issue came to light based on new information received Tuesday night and Wednesday morning from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concerning the speed at which our side-impact tests were conducted.

The original study, published in the February issue of Consumer Reports, was aimed at discovering how infant seats performed in tests at speeds that match those used in the government's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). This program tests most new vehicles in crashes at speeds of 35 mph for frontal impact and 38 mph for side impact. Child safety seats, in contrast, are currently tested only in front-impact crashes at speeds of 30 mph.
Our tests were intended to simulate side crashes at the NCAP speed of 38 mph. The new information raises a question about whether the tests accurately simulated that speed, however, so we are now reviewing our tests and the resulting article.

To those who may have seen the report earlier in print, on the Web, or in broadcasts, we urge you to remember that use of any child seat is safer than no child seat, but to suspend judgment on the merits of individual products until the new testing has been completed and the report re-published.

We appreciate that manufacturers and particularly NHTSA are engaging directly with us on this article, and we applaud NHTSA for giving serious consideration to the development of side-impact child seat tests. Consumer Reports has long advocated adoption of such tests, since government data show that side crashes account for a significant number of child fatalities.

We look forward to re-issuing guidance on child-seat safety as soon as possible.

super_grape

I'm not saying there is a problem, or attacking Transport Canada, but I had no idea that they didn't actually test their seats like we do here in the US, or like the EU does. They just give the manufacturers a set of guidelines and tell them to make sure your seats comply. If you say they do, we'll give you the stickers and say they're approved for use in Canada.

I think you may have misunderstood what they were saying because TC does test the seats. In fact, my CRST Instructor was one of those responsible for this. It's not as easy as just slapping some stickers on the seats. I promise:) !
If that were the case, we'd have the great selection that you all get down south....

Wineaux

I think you may have misunderstood what they were saying because TC does test the seats. In fact, my CRST Instructor was one of those responsible for this. It's not as easy as just slapping some stickers on the seats. I promise:) !
If that were the case, we'd have the great selection that you all get down south....
That quote was from TC. I'm not sure how to read it differently. The TC spokesperson says they don't test the seats and instead rely on "self certification." That's their words. Not mine.

What do I suspect? Typical governmentese. CYA-speak at its finest. Lots of verbiage meaning a whole lot of nothing. I just don't really know. Politicians and governmental workers have been known to say the stupidest things in order to cover their own behinds. Admit to nothing seems to be the safest method of speaking these days for our governments. That way it doesn't bite you in the butt come election day.

/sigh

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

It's a good response, albeit this part here does give one pause though...

I don't know, but it seems to me that this paragraph is is basically saying that if there's a problem, it's not us, but the manufacturers who are at fault. The whole "fox guarding the henhouse" scenario.

Does this make anyone else just a tad uneasy as well? Is it just my pessimistic nature?

My take on that paragraph was that they rely primarily on the manufacturers
testing when they design the car seats, but do checks for compliance regularly and test seats at that time. There's also some other sort of system in place.. but that was my take on it anyways.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

I would think so, too. On the other hand, I'm sure if it would be a big cost savings to them, they would be pushing for it pretty aggressively. After all, you aren't really testing individual child seats, even in the ECE tests. You are evaluating the vehicle as to how well it protects a child in a typical child restraint.

This kind of testing will happen as soon as someone does a study that demonstrates a clear (i.e. financial) need for it. It could also happen the other [unfortunate] way these things happen- a death to a child of a politician or other person who can affect such a change.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Consumer Reports doesn't give the whole story on this. From what I have found, the NHTSA side impact test for vehicles is done at a higher speed than over 95% of side impacts that occur in real crashes. It is true that many do happen at higher speeds, but it isn't very common.

Also, car seats do indeed have a braking mechanism of a sort. The whole point of securing a car seat to a vehicle is to give the child seat the advantage of the vehicle's crushing frame to ride down the crash. I have been told by crash testing experts that a 30 mph side impact to a typical vehicle would be the rough equivalent of 14-18mph if the a child seat was tested on a laboratory sled. That's not to say that testing at a higher speed isn't valid, but it would be at a significantly higher energy than the overwhelming majority of real world crashes.

We can certainly ask for our child seats to be safer at these higher speeds, but I would also expect that there would be a much higher cost involved. The question ultimately becomes how safe is needed? At what point are the returns so diminishing that we aren't saving many more lives? Keep in mind that as prices increase, more people are likely not to buy these new seats and their children are more likely to be unrestrained or inadequately restrained in older, used seats. I don't have a good answer for this.

From what I understand about Consumer Reports' retraction, this did turn out to be the main issue with their testing. They may well have run their sled at 38mph, rather than the much lower speed actually required to simulate a 38mph crash into a vehicle. It will be interesting to see if other flaws were discovered. It's too bad they didn't bother to consult with an industry expert, as many of us have suggested to them numerous times over the years. They could have saved themselves a lot of embarassment. On the other hand, perhaps the extra media headlines are offsetting their lack of expertise in terms of publicity.

kpeople

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to encourage a reviewing period of these tests before they're released to the public in order to keep the confussion down.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to encourage a reviewing period of these tests before they're released to the public in order to keep the confussion down.

I agree. I have offered to review their material before publication in the past and I'm sure other independent advocates have as well. Based on their history of car seat review gaffes, it's clear that it is not an area of expertise for them as may be the case for autos or washing machines. Hopefully after this embarassing incident, they can put aside their pride and allow for public (or even private) comments before issuing another report that incites panic among parents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC