Do you worry about the danger of an unsed belt

Pixels

and how far would you go to take care of it? Do you only worry about switchable retractors, or any accessible seatbelt or harness adjuster strap?

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I started worrying about my center seat belt which is a lap belt only. I buckled it in to keep it from becoming a projectile & knocking poor Marcus in the head.

However I do not really worry about any of my other unused belts b/c they are up in the retractor. Should I worry about them??

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I don't worry for my own kids. They have never even once shown any interest in touching/pulling/playing with the other, unused belts in the car. In my car, neither of the kids could even reach the unused belts anyway...physically impossible, unless they were unbuckled ad literally hanging out of their seats...for others, I do caution about the unused belts as appropriate, etc.

kaysmom

I don’t worry about the belts in my car since K cant reach them, and it is in use and locked for her seat so she cant get to any of it.

But in our truck it did worry me a lot. She is OBSESSED with seat belts, if you would let her sit in the back seat unrestrained she would be occupied for hours playing with the belts and the car seat. So since I used LATCH for her seat she would try to get the seat belt with her feet and then bring it up to her hands to play with it so that had to stop! So I locked it and buckled it so it's no longer accessible to her.

Pixels

In my car, her seat is center seatbelt installed, locking clip due to tipping. Switchable retractor not locked thus far. She can't reach that belt yet.

In DH's car, it's seatbelt with lightweight locking latchplate. LATCH is not an option, nor is switching the retractor. The seat is at a different angle and DD can reach the shoulder belt. She is starting to try to hook it with her foot.

I think my only options to make the shoulder belt safe for her are to (1) move back to the center, lap-only seat, but I had my reason for moving her outboard, or (2) use a BSC to use up the shoulder belt. Right? I don't know if I trust a lightweight locking latchplate to hold in a crash.

I need to get a hold of a BSC.

Raegansmom4

I have my unused middle lap/shoulder buckled in and locked. The one outboard is being used to install my GN, and the other outboard is currently not in use, but dd can't reach it since she's rfing in a MR. In my refresher course this summer, this issue was included in our curriculum that we are supposed to have parents buckle unused seatbelts b/c they can be strangulation hazzards, I guess.

TiaxMarie

I only worry about the center seat belt so I stuff it into the crease of the seat so it's behind it. I don't worry about the other ones.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't worry about my kids (well, didn't when I could use LATCH ;) ) but I do advise parents with lap-only belts with locking latchplates (the kind with a tail, you know what I'm talking about) to buckle their lap belts if they are not in use. (Of course I try to use that position for a harnessed seat, but it doesn't always happen.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC