Radian Issues - Need Feedback

Cathi

So we bit the bullet and bought our 5yo DS a Radian about 2 months ago. Turns out that the seat is perfect EXCEPT for the crotch buckle. It's so close to his crotch (at the farthest slot out) that it's very very hard to buckle him in without pinching him.

He hates it. Do I put his 3yo sister in it and get him something else, if so what? We have 3 across and it's very tight, one reason for the Radian since it's so narrow. We love it in every other way but this one! Ideas? Suggestions?

ADS

Dillipop

I can't remember if my radian came with a belly pad or not. I'm thinking it did. Are you using it? If not, it will be an extra layer of protection between kid and buckle and should help with the pinching.

Unfortunately for a 3 across, you will probably be stuck with the radian or switching to a booster. If you want to keep him harnessed, it might just be something you'll have to work on to keep it from pinching him.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you loosen the harness when you take him out? think of it like shoes...you have to untie them and then tie them back up when you put them on :). I know that's a pretty common solution for the crotch-pinching problem (loosen the harness before you try to buckle it), though it may be kind of new to make it a habit.

kfelaco

I agree with the PP's-between using the crotch pad and loosening the straps before buckling, he should be more comfortable. I just bought one for my 4 yo, and I wasn't used to constantly loosening and tightening the straps. But I found it was much easier to buckle her with the straps loose first, then tighten it up afterward. It's more work, but she complains less about it being too tight and pinchy! ;)

Yoshi

Is he sitting upright with his back and bottom straight up against the seatback? Because if my daughter slouches in the seat (creating a space behind her lower back), she is up against the crotch buckle too close and must scooch herself back. Try installing it with the recline foot extended if you haven't already- that may also help.

AmyL9

I just got a Radian a few days ago and find it is easier to snap my daughter in (esp with a coat on) if the staps are loosened first. However, I have to say it's not easy to tighten those staps back up. You really have to yank down on the strap to tighten it and even still it doesnt seem as tight as I could get it with my old carseat. It could be that I'm just not to used to this system -- we had an Evenflo Trimuph before that had the cranking system and was very easy to tighten the straps. She hasnt complained about the crotch part although maybe that's a boy thing? Good luck!!
Amy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I just got a Radian a few days ago and find it is easier to snap my daughter in (esp with a coat on) if the staps are loosened first. However, I have to say it's not easy to tighten those staps back up. You really have to yank down on the strap to tighten it and even still it doesnt seem as tight as I could get it with my old carseat. It could be that I'm just not to used to this system -- we had an Evenflo Trimuph before that had the cranking system and was very easy to tighten the straps. She hasnt complained about the crotch part although maybe that's a boy thing? Good luck!!
Amy

You shouldn't leave a coat on when you put your child in a car seat, it makes the straps to lose and the coat can compress in the event of a crash causing them to become to lose and possibly your child will slip out of the harness... very dangerous... a thin jacket, like a fleece might work or put the big coat on backwards after buckling the harness or a blanket...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is he sitting upright with his back and bottom straight up against the seatback? Because if my daughter slouches in the seat (creating a space behind her lower back), she is up against the crotch buckle too close and must scooch herself back. Try installing it with the recline foot extended if you haven't already- that may also help.

yeah, if kids assume the stock straight position it's fine http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/?action=view&current=cameracontents3-06138.jpghttp://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/?action=view&current=cameracontents3-06138.jpghttp://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/?action=view&current=cameracontents3-0613 (i'm just kidding, of course, she was actually sitting up as tall as possible to show the growing room, she was six and a half at the time). (click the middle link and forgive me, my computer's being a dog tonight)

Yeah, take the coat off or at least unzip it so the harness can go right against the clothing and keep there from being any slack in the harness system that could lead to ejection, but more likely to increased head exursion and risk of injury to the head from hitting the front seatbacks.

didymama

we have the same issue, but ds doesn't realize it as much since he wears very padded cloth diapers. do wish it had a better croch strap.

AmyL9

Thanks for the info on the winter coat. Yikes, I didnt realize. What a pain, although I will just bundle her with her coat and a blanket after buckling her in....

scatterbunny

Thanks for the info on the winter coat. Yikes, I didnt realize. What a pain, although I will just bundle her with her coat and a blanket after buckling her in....

It IS a pain, I understand...but necessary.

We have a thin polar fleece jacket that dd wears unless it's pouring outside, or unless we plan on being outside for awhile at our destination. It's thin enough to go under her harness without a problem.

If it's pouring outside or we plan on being outside dd wears her thick, puffy coat to the car and takes it off before buckling, then either holds it over her like a blanket or puts it on backwards over the harness.

We always keep a fleece blanket or two in the car as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC