carpooling rides and elementary aged children

christineka

Early morning orchestra starts this week. If my neighbors are going there too, it would seem like a good idea to carpool and take turns taking kids there. It would be a big help to me, but I don't know if I could do that. I don't mind other people's driving skills. The issue is that I insist my girls sit in booster seats despite the fact that the law says they don't need them. No one around here boosters kids past the fulfillment of the law. Oldest was 5 years old when the law said she no longer needed a booster. Her peers haven't sat in a booster or car seat for 4-5 years. (Or more)

Would you or have you ever let your child ride with others who don't feel boosters are needed? Is it really awkward to have them keep a booster for your child even though their vehicle is devoid of car seats (and they have much younger kids)? Do they just keep the seat? Or return it when they come back? (We only have to drop off. The kids are bussed from the high school to the elementary school.) Is it worth it?

ADS

Raegansmom4

I'd just tell them you do not feel comfortable w/ how the seatbelt fits your kids w/o the booster seat. I'd also just say that kids are different sizes, and some still need the booster to make the seat belt fit properly. Hey, it may even get them to take a look at how their kids fit the seat belt. Could your 8 and 9 yo kids get by w/ just a NBB? That would be less cumbersome for the carpoolers and make them more likely to throw it on the seat. That way, you could also just leave it w/ them so you don't have to pass seats back and forth every day.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC