HWH help

Heather98012

Hey, I'm posting for a friend of mine. Her son goes to school with my dd & he will turn 5 in Nov. He is hovering right at the 40 lb mark & is around 42-43" (I can get his stats for sure). She needs a new seat since he's outgrowing his Britax (Decathalon maybe? Not sure).

So, she loved the Nauti but when she put her son in it at home, the crotch strap was under his bum, so that's out. She will spend the money for the Frontier if needed, but she has to switch out the seat once a week & well, we all know how that would suck (FWIW, the cars it will be in are an Ody & Prius). I recommended the Safeguard Go since I love it so much, but like me, she's reluctant to use it daily due to the lack of any real protection on the sides.

She asked me about the Safety 1st Apex & I told her I didn't really know anything about it other than it's not really well thought of here, esp. in booster mode. What's the deal with the seat specifically?

Any other ideas I can give her? She'd like a seat that harnesses to 65 lbs & converts to a booster, but I'm wondering if she should just get another harness seat & then a dedicated booster later. Thoughts? TIA!

ETA: I didn't recommend any Recaros for her because she was trying to stay more in the Nauti price point. She will however, spend more if needed.

ADS

Mae

There was a long drawn out debate awhile back on whether or not it was ok for the crotch strap to be under the child's bottom. I believe that Graco finally came back and stated that it was ok for it to be underneath the child. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but if that is correct, she could use the Nautilus! :thumbsup:

And if I were her, I would still most likely get a dedicated booster when the time comes. For now, I'd just use the GN.

Qarin

You mention she has to switch out the seats weekly- is he in both cars the same amount, or is it just that once a week he has a ride in the other car? I'm thinking perhaps that could be a high-back booster, for booster training- my DD2 with almost exactly the same stats and age uses HBBs now in all secondary vehicles (in which she rides a total of perhaps 45 minutes per month, at most).

Evolily

The sitting on the crotch strap is fine as long as they child fits by height and weight :) . Turned out to be a bunch of hysteria about nothing.

I would steer her towards the nautilus AND a high back graco turbobooster. That would put her about $40-$50 over the GN, but pretty far under the cost of the frontier. She can use the turbobooster for occasional rides in other vehicles, and this will help with both booster training as well as prevent her from having to install and uninstall the seat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=797034&postcount=171

Also, at her child's age using a HBB full time might be a safe option, assuming he can sit correctly 100% of the time.

Heather98012

Ok, right at 40 lbs & about 44". His mom says he will be in the Prius about 30 mins weekly, so not much at all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Apex has fairly low top slots for a 65 lb seat. If he's outgrowing a Britax by height it's not a great choice just because it will give him probably very little extra time (several months at most, probably, depending on how he grows in the torso, etc.) It makes an okay booster for wider kids, actually, but he sounds like he's on the average-to-skinny side for his height, so it would not fit him very well.

I think if he has the maturity (some kids do, some don't at this age) it's a great time to booster train for that 30 mins. a week.

Wineaux

What about a Safeguard Go? Do both vehicles have a top tether? I know the Prius does. It sure makes changing vehicles easy, it does convert to a booster for later, and they can be found for around $125. It's a darn cool travel seat, but it isn't FAA approved as planes don't have top tethers, albeit a CARES would cover plane travel quite handily at his age should that ever come up.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
How close is he to outgrowing the Decathlon? It seems that Evenflo will be putting out an inexpensive new HWH in the near future.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wouldn't rule out the GN either. B is in one now in my car and I love it. The crotch strap isn't an issue. :twocents:

B just turned 4 on 9/1 and I wouldn't for a second consider boostering him...but in another year? I'd consider it for a 2nd vehicle so seats wouldn't have to be constantly moved around.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The crotch thing on the nauti was proven to be hysteria, it's fine to use it.
I'd probably get a nauti and a turbo, personally. DD ahs been doing pretty good booster training in hers at the same size/age. Of course, if she wants the frointier, thats her choice too.
If he has a month or 2 in the decathlon, I might wait and see if the evenflo hwh actually starts shipping on oct 1st as it says onthe website, and how tall the top slots actually are, etc. there is a generations 65 listed on their website now, and supposedly a seat called the maestro is also in the works? I have found the Apex gives a LOT of room over a britax convertible. A solid inch, which as we know, could be a year of harnessing? I wouldn't necesarily rule out the apex. I actually like it, but as with most combo seats fit in booster mode is going to be questionable and different for each kid.

Heather98012

I think if he has the maturity (some kids do, some don't at this age) it's a great time to booster train for that 30 mins. a week.

While I wouldn't tell her this, I doubt he could sit in a booster well. He's a very high energy kid. Sweet as all get out, but I'm glad he isn't mine, KWIM? ;) I'd be concerned about him in a booster right now.

What about a Safeguard Go?.

I mentioned it to her, since my dd rides in one in her grandma's car & we LOVE it. But, the mom is concerned about using it daily due to the lack of a shell for protection on the sides. I honestly think this might be the best choice for them, though. Maybe I'll have to get ours from my mom's car & show her how it works. I love it enough I'm considering ditching one of our Frontiers & using that full time. (Not sure if I will or not though.)

How close is he to outgrowing the Decathlon? It seems that Evenflo will be putting out an inexpensive new HWH in the near future.
Hhmm....I didn't realize Evenflo had one coming out. I'll have to go to their site or do a search on here. Do we know the name of it yet?

Thanks for all the help! If you guys think of something else, let me know.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't use a SafeGuard GO as a primary, everyday seat either (unless it was that or booster for a non-booster-ready kid; if it's the ONLY choice, I would, without hesitation, choose it over a booster for a kid not ready, but it's rarely the only choice) unless it was in the middle seat. While the Prius should have adequate head restraint in the middle seat, isn't that middle hump adjustable?, my concern would be how difficult it is to install with a lap/shoulder belt, which is the only option in the center (no LATCH borrowing.)

Heather98012

Ok, so is the new Evenflo HWH seat the Symphony 65? From what I can tell, not much has changed other than the harnessed weight limit. IS there another seat I'm missing? :confused:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think they changed the base on the Symphony 65? The Generations 65, the only difference is the weight limit. The Generations is only $100.

Heather98012

Evenflo also has the Generations 65.

Is it the same as the Generations that only harnasses to 40? Are both of these seats identical except for the higher weight limits? And geez...they look a lot alike...what is the difference between the Symphony & Generations? (Neither look great, IMHO.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Symphony has fancy LATCH and is a convertible.

The Generations is a combination harness/booster FF only seat (though it is not a very good booster, really.) Yes, they re-tested the Generations to 65 lbs. and made that the new weight limit. It probably will really last most kids to around 50 by height. It's not as difficult to install as some I could name...

Heather98012

Both look....less than great. I suppose the Symphony looks a little better. Hhhmmm.

So, if the Nauti is out (her hubby isn't ok with the crotch strap under his bum 'cause of it squishing his junk...which I can understand), the Frontier is out because of the difficulty with installs & switching cars weekly (her son isn't ready for a booster yet), then the options really are limited.

1) Safeguard GO: She isn't in love with the lack of protection on the sides.

2) Symphony 65 or Generations 65.

Am I missing anything? The only other options I can think of would be another seat that harnesses higher but doesn't convert & then just getting a booster later on.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
And really that might be a good choice if she doesn't like the Nauti, the GO, or the Generations.

The Generations or Symphony probably aren't going to be good boosters so she'd have to buy another booster later anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC