NBC Nightly News - How Safe our Car Seat? Tonight

ktmo

I saw a commercial last night about an upcoming segment on NBC Nightly News on Car Seat safety. I believe that it airs tonight, Thursday 1/4. I just thought it would be interesting to see what information Brian Williams gives out. I don't know if is just a review of seats, like Consumer Reports or if it will be more indepth. The spot I saw, showed someone installing a seat (I think it was a Graco Safe Seat 2) and then showed a line of Britax seats at a store.

Just thought I would let you know, in case you wanted to see it.

Katie

Oh, I just saw that I spelled "are" wrong in the title, that is what happens when you daughter wakes up at 5:30am.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The live NBC news broadcast airs at 6:30 p.m. ET. I'm not sure when it's on in other time zones. The report may show up on the NBC.com website after the broadcast. Someone on another board heard that CR is coming out with a new carseat review article and they thought perhaps the NBC story is a CR-related one.

Morganthe

Someone on another board heard that CR is coming out with a new carseat review article and they thought perhaps the NBC story is a CR-related one.

It's about time! The topic is listed under their "Frequently updated" items and the last report they did was in August 2005 :p

lovinwaves

The live NBC news broadcast airs at 6:30 p.m. ET. I'm not sure when it's on in other time zones. The report may show up on the NBC.com website after the broadcast. Someone on another board heard that CR is coming out with a new carseat review article and they thought perhaps the NBC story is a CR-related one.

Our NBC nightly news comes on at 5:30 Central time. Right after our local news at 5:00

Jeanum

Staff member
Cool, so you can see it in real time in the Central Time zone. :) I'm messing around with settings on my laptop's Media Center software to see if I can record the news tonight. I doubt I'll hear or see the whole story on the first viewing given my typical evening around here, lol.

ktmo

Here in MD it comes on at 7:00pm.

I bet that is does have to do with the new Consumer Reports testing. I heard it just came out. I haven't seen the Consumer Reports, yet, but have heard that the Graco SafeSeat doesn't score high on the list. We'll see.

Katie

Jeanum

Staff member
CR usually shows up the first week of the month in my mailbox but no sign of the Feb. issue here just yet, and no sign of updated CR carseat reviews on the CR website yet, either. Maybe it will come out before the end of the week if there's any connection to the news coverage tonight. I imagine it will create an uptick in carseat message board volume like their past reviews.

hsjwmom

I just read this on another site...

Consumers Union is announcing tomorrow, January 5, that only two infant car seats (Graco SnugRide EPS and Baby Trend FlexLoc) passed its proprietary crash tests, including a side-impact crash at 38 mph. Consumers Union is advising parents to replace other models if possible and to use safety belts only, not LATCH, with four other models (Chicco KeyFit, Compass 1410, Evenflo Embrace and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP). The report will be mentioned on NBC News tonight. Expect a lot of phone calls from parents and local media.

Talking points:

Ÿ Today’s car seats are safe and effective if used correctly. Every car seat on the market in the United States has passed the same rigorous crash tests required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Ÿ If you’re following manufacturer’s instructions, you’re giving your baby the safest ride possible with current technology. Make sure your infant car seat is less than six years old, has never been in a crash, is reclining at about a 45-degree angle in the car, is secured tightly in the back seat and the harness straps are adjusted correctly for your baby.

Ÿ Any car seat made after 2002 can be installed either with safety belts or the LATCH system in a vehicle made in 2002 or later. Use safety belts or LATCH for an infant, whichever you prefer, but not both. If you’re worried about the performance of LATCH, use the safety belt.

Ÿ We want to see the technology continue to improve, but we don’t want parents to lose confidence in their car seats today — the best protection available. Federal standards do not call for side-impact crash tests at this time. The International Standards Organization is drafting global standards that will include side-impact tests; meanwhile, the highest standard in the world is a side-impact crash test at 19 mph that is mandatory in Australia. Consumers Union tested car seats at twice that speed.

Ÿ Read the instructions and follow them carefully. Even if you don’t usually read the instructions for other products, read your car seat owner’s manual cover to cover. Also read the section of your vehicle owner’s manual that deals with occupant protection.

In conjunction with your efforts, Safe Kids Worldwide is issuing a national news release and posting a statement on the Web site. Lorrie Walker will be interviewed live Friday morning on the New York City local news preceding the Today Show on NBC, with (or against) a spokesperson from Consumers Union, and there’s a good chance that the segment will be rebroadcast on the Today Show.

We have been in contact with all of the manufacturers involved and will have a conference call with NHTSA this afternoon. Collectively, we will be calling on Consumers Union to release their data and methodology, and in particular to explain how they came up with a 38 mph standard. For now, though, we recommend you continue to do what you do best: provide parents with the most reliable safety information available today. As always, call or e-mail us if you have any questions.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
According to MSNBC, the show is an hour long program focusing on government, but had a blurb about the carseat story. The show that comes on at 5:30 is a half hour show, so I'm wondering if this is something that will come one later. I've got NBC on right now...just waiting to see if it's the right show.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC