Am I crazy!!

Icemomof3

I have a 2 year old son who has been FF for at least 7 months even though we have a Recaro Signo, I know I know...bad bad bad. BUT I´ve always had regrets about turning him so soon but after DH wining about how he hates putting him in the seat with it RF and how DS likes it way better FF I caved and agreed to turn him.
Now I also have a Graco Nautilus that I love but I always have that thought in my head that he should be in the Signo SO I´m thinking about switching the seats...
Am I crazy thinking that my now 2 year old will agree to RF after being FF for months? And am I double crazy for thinking about putting a 9 year old in the Graco Nautilus?
EDIT: When talking about the 9 year old in the Nautilus I´m NOT talking about harnessing him but using the Nautilus as a booster :)

Last edited:
ADS

Maedze

Two questions with two different answers.

1. No you are NOT crazy for putting your two year old rear facing. My daughter was rear facing to 2 years and change, when she reached the 33 lb weight limit on her Boulevard. A full year and a half later she's now rear facing again at 35 lbs, because there are now seats on the market that rear face to 40 pounds! She adjusted rapidly and immediately. Do turn him back rear facing! It's significantly safer.

2. The nine year old. In this case, well, a little ;) Unless your nine year old has specific emotional or physical special needs, there is no reason for him/her to be in a harnessed seat, and there is no evidence that it would be safer. A good belt positioning booster is fine. In fact, at 9, if you have head rests, even a backless is appropriate. I would not harness a typical nine year old, because of concerns about neck load in an accident.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You're not crazy -- but I'd be far more concerned about RFing a 2yo than harnessing a 9yo (unless there are special needs or other considerations).

Icemomof3

Two questions with two different answers.

2. The nine year old. In this case, well, a little ;) Unless your nine year old has specific emotional or physical special needs, there is no reason for him/her to be in a harnessed seat, and there is no evidence that it would be safer. A good belt positioning booster is fine. In fact, at 9, if you have head rests, even a backless is appropriate. I would not harness a typical nine year old, because of concerns about neck load in an accident.

I wasn´t clear about that in my thread but I´m NOT talking about harnessing him, just using it as a booster :)

Maedze

Ohhhh, I see. Is your nine year old currently in a booster? Does he pass the 5-step test without one?

1. Lap belt crosses on the thighs without touching the tummy

2. Shoulder belt crosses firmly on the chest between the throat and the arm without touching the throat or sliding off the shoulder.

3. Tush rests firmly in the bight of the vehicle seat with no slouching.

4. Knees bend at or beyond the end of the vehicle seat and feet rest flat on the floor

5. Child stays in this position for the entirety of every trip without slouching, leaning over to grab objects, turning, twisting, or slumping when napping.

Amaris

I'm another one who thinks you are not crazy for rear facing your 2 year old. Our daughter turned 2 in July, and a few weeks ago she weighed 31-32 pounds and is 37 inches long. She was in a marathon that rear faced to 33lbs, so I bought a radian so she can rear face longer. Since you already have a seat that will work for you then I wouldn't think twice about it. Kids usually adjust quickly!

susanx4

nope not crazy! my 2 yr old prefers rf! she went between ff and rf ( she broke her leg and wouldn't fit rf in the marathon, but as soon as i got a truefit she went right back rf)

Mommy2Marcus

Nope, not crazy at all. I turned my DS back RF at 2 1/2 after he had been FF for about 4-5 months. He got really close to the weight limit RF during the winter. Then he potty trained, went to summer clothes & went down to about 30lbs fully dressed. He is very happy RF. So I say to go for it. Most kids could care less.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
NO! in fact, most of us here (no offense) probably think you are crazy for forward facing a 2 year old!!! It really is exceptionally dangerous.

As to the "agreeing" part...most of us probably wouldn't put car safety in the "child choice" category, sorry.
sort of like I don't let my 2 year old choose whether or not to poke forks into the outlets, or play in the street, or be unattended around a pool (all of which, by the way, are LESS likely to result in his death than being in a car crash!), he doesn't get to choose whether or not to be safe in the car. There is a reason 2 year olds have parents..because they're not really capable of making great decisions, LOL!!!

Calleiah

I re-rear-faced my 2 year and she's still currently rear-facing at 3 1/2 years in a Radian80. She's never had a problem with it and actually rides much more comfortably, especially on long trips. She constantly talks about the things she can see out the rear windshield. She actually has a better view than she does FF. Does it bother me to not be able to see her? Sometimes, but usually it's not a big deal. She has never complained about being RF.

twinsmom

I don't think you are crazy at all about RF the 2 year old. FWIW, my kids were 3.5 when I turned them back RF, and they never complained once. They love their new seats and RFing.

fyrfightermomma

My older one RF'd until 18 months when her sister was born and I thought "I am not gonna have two kids rear facing!" I still thought 18 months was pretty good :) I came here to ask advise for my newest baby's new seat when my older one was 2 years 4 months. She was about 22-23 lbs then. This site opened my eyes and she was turned rear facing again without a fuss at 2y4m. She stayed that way until about 3y11m. She has bad sensory problems and hates change and honestly, she didn't even notice as weird as that sounds. A car was a car to her. Her car seat was a carseat to her. I don't think she understood it turned directions. So nope, you aren't crazy :) The Signo though can be a tight squeeze for older taller Rfers though just to warn you

As for your 9 year old, does he pass the 5 step test another poster mentioned? If not, he needs a booster. A high back is fine if he fits but at 9 he may not fit in the nautilus as a high back. A no back would also be an appropriate choice.

All that matters is what you know now, not what you did in the past :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC