anybody got a thin younger kid in a frontier as booster?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Especially a kid who is maybe 50 lbs or little less??
so..i've been trying out our different seats recently, because I need to find a way to fund a new radian xt, and that will mean selling something.
I had dd use the frontier as a booster, to get an idea of how it fits. I already know i dont like how the nauti fits as a booster on her in my car, but she has a good 2 inches left harnessed i it, so thats fine, I'll get my moneys worth out of the seat.
Thr frontier however, she has maybe an inch left in harnessed. (i guess the way it installs? it's nowhere near as tall as the nauti. She has only 2 clicks left) So, i was trying to get an idea of how the booster fit is.
uh...ya. The belt POSITION is a tad better than the nauti (but still no where as good as in her turbo) BUT...it doesn't come close to her. She actually said "mommy i'm gonna die, it's not tight!" the lap belt almost doesn't touch her...it's held out away from her body by the guides. She is currently 41 lbs. Now, granted, by the time she would need to USE it as a booster, I expect she'll be 45-50 lbs, and have gained possibly a bit more substance to her hip area, but not THAT much. i'm VERY uncomfortable with the fit.
What do you guys think? In a collision, she would have to fly forward a bit before hitting the seat belt, and that is bad, right? Has anyone else experienced this?
Am i making any sense here?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Leah fits great in the FR as a booster. She's only been in it across the parking lot a couple times, I promise, but it fits perfectly, lapbelt low on thighs, shoulderbelt right on chest and shoulder. Her legs are still a little short, so she scootches forward for a more natural bend in the knee, and that can let the lapbelt ride a little bit high, but nowhere near as high as other combination seats. So it must be the difference in the belt geometry? I know our old Sightseer fit in FRONT of Bitsy at this age and it rode up really bad, too.
Anyway...hmm...not sure if it should be in front of her like that, seems kind of weird it does :/.

oxeye

My DD1 sounds about the same size. 39 pounds and only two clicks left in the Frontier harnessed. I tried her in it as a booster the other day. The lapbelt fit okay. I'd want it lower but I felt and it was in front of her hip bones so it was acceptable. The shoulder belt was fine as long as she was perfectly positioned but the seat is so wide that if she moved just a little to the side, the belt was no longer positioned correctly.

Pics -

CIMG5294.jpg
CIMG5296.jpg
CIMG5298.jpg

I won't use the Frontier for her when she outgrows the harness. I figure it will be about a year from now and I will most likely put her in an Oobr (or other rigid LATCH HBB if one exists by then) and give the Frontier to DD2 (who I will most likely have FF at 5 y/o). I am sure I will be thrilled with it as a booster as DD1 gets bigger but not for a kid who is just barely at the weight/height recommendations to use it as a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC