What is the reason for having to have the straps above the sholders for ff

kmcenery

Someone asked on another board I go on. I thought it was in my book from class (I thought I wrote it down but I did not).

ADS

Wineaux

Yeah. Just picture in your head a FF child being thrown violently forward in a crash. Now think about them not having any upward movement as the top of seat goes forward. Remember, they are sliding upwards towards the top of the seat as they are thrown forwards. So instead of getting some ride down from the room afforded by the straps being at or above the shoulders, their spinal column just gets compressed together like an accordian.

I think I described that in a way that makes sense. Does that jibe with your thoughts as well?

kmcenery

The straps must be at or above the shoulders while FF to prevent spinal compression.

This is what I was thinking but before I gave out any info I wanted to be sure I was right.

Thank you everyone and I will look at Judi's post aswell.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC