Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question 3 across in 2003 VW Jetta

I'm trying to find a way to get 3 across in my '03 VW Jetta. I know I could get 3 SKRs and problem solved, but I like to be difficult!
    Currently I have a Graco Comfort Sport FF and a Graco Nautilus. I'd like to at least keep the Nautilus, but would LOVE to keep both (although I know that's probably not going to happen).
    My oldest is almost 3 (bday 10/28). She weighs about 39 lbs. I'm not positive on her height but I think it's 38" (she's in 95th percentile). My son is FF in the Comfort Sport. He weighs about 29.5 lbs. Again, not positive on his height either but I think it's about 32" (he's in 90th percentile). I'm due with baby #3 in 8 weeks.
    I read that a Baby Trend Flex Loc without the base would fit, but I tried it at Babies R Us and couldn't get both doors to close without forcing it (that's not OK, right?). Is it possible for me to keep the Nautilus? I can't find any stores locally that carry the SKRs for me to try.
    I'm so frustrated! Thanks in advance for your help!
    PS. According to some specs I found online, my car has 52.5" shoulder room. I don't know if that's the important measurement or not, but it's all I could find.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: 3 across in 2003 VW Jetta

You should be able to if you trade the Comfort Sport for a Radian & get the Flex Loc for the baby (or a Key Fit).

I was able to get 3 Across my '04 Jetta using: RFing Radian, FFing Regent, RFing Flex Loc. Also FFing Radian, RFing Flex Loc, FFing Regent.

I have pics I can dig up. There was 4 fingers worth of space between each door & end car seat. I am not sure if there are any differences in 2003 vs 2004 Jettas?
    Diana, Mommy To:
    Kolin [5.5.04]-Ava [12.13.05]-Aden [2.18.09]

Quote Originally Posted by Calideedle View Post
    I am not sure if there are any differences in 2003 vs 2004 Jettas?
    I think they're the same. I looked it up on the same site that I found specs for my car and they're the same for the '03 and '04.
    How did you have them installed? Which one was in the middle or would it matter? Do you know if you had them installed with LATCH or seat belts? Were you able to install the base with the Flex Loc?
    Sorry about all the questions!

Carseat Crazy

All were installed with seat belts and yes I used the base. I couldn't get both RFing seats next to each other because the Flex Locs handle would hit the Radians shell no matter what position it was in so I couldn't get it installed.

The only ways I tried installing were:

L - R

RFing Radian, FFing Regent, RFing Flex Loc
    FFing Radian, RFing Flex Loc, FFing Regent

(ignore the strange child in the infant seat, lol)

Last edited by Calideedle; 09-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    Diana, Mommy To:
    Kolin [5.5.04]-Ava [12.13.05]-Aden [2.18.09]