Why it matters if the car seat is installed properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Spin off of this thread.

Here are some common mis use and a crash test showing what happens with each.

Loose install:

0107.jpg

Installed forward facing, through the rear facing belt path:

0110.jpg

Harness through too low of a slot:

0113.jpg

Harness too loose:

Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

RubysGirl

Re: Why it matters in the car seat in installed properly

Wow, those videos are great. I'm assuming the dummy in the foreground is in correctly each time, right?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Why it matters getting the car seat installed properly

Yes, nice to have them both in the same test, right? Loading more videos now.

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

For someone that shall remain nameless? I am loading rear vs forward also.

Last edited:

RubysGirl

Now can you find one with a FF seat, loosly installed, straps too low, straps too loose, and untethered I can send my friend with a short and round 14 mo ff?

Qarin

Interesting!

Interesting, too, that "harness too loose" appears, to my untrained eye (and with no real data available to me), to be least-bad of the first four.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

Rear facing:

Forward facing:

Animated:

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Interesting!

Interesting, too, that "harness too loose" appears, to my untrained eye (and with no real data available to me), to be least-bad of the first four.

Agreed, with forward facing through the wrong beltpath not being as bad as I thought it would be. I figured the seat would flip forward and be stuck face down.

Wendy

RubysGirl

I would think that too, but if you notice, they atleast had it tighted well, albeit the wrong path. Most people who use the wrong path don't bother to tighten much.

I think it would be awsome to see tests with combinations of things wrong, because I think parents, like my friend, usually make more than one mistake.

Mae

Can this thread be "stickied" at the top of the forum?

JerseyGirl'sMama

You deserve major rep for these Judi! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing them. Goes to show that a proper installation is the most important, and a slightly loose harness may not be as crucial.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

awesome. I too was surprised at someof the results.

BigDaddy

Great thread!

Agreed, with forward facing through the wrong beltpath not being as bad as I thought it would be. I figured the seat would flip forward and be stuck face down.

Wendy
That's exactly what I expected to see. Perhaps it would have turned out that way if it hadn't been installed so tightly. :shrug-shoulders:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC