Question If you had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

apsupermom

Preface this by saying I have 2005 Pathfinder that I hate and I will not be buying another Nissan ever again...so Nissan is out :)

Obviously looking at used in that price range...

I want high 4-5 stars for both frontal and side impact.

I have been searching but I am completly overwhelmed by all the information!

Kids in seats are one FF Como G2, and two RF True Fits plus one 14 year old in a seat belt. I would love to have a tether in the third row so that I can put a car seat back there...they are driving me nuts next to each other :lol

ADS

Maedze

Re: I fyou had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

I would get a 2007 Kia Sedona.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's about what I paid for my used XC90. Love it thus far.. I think I might consider a gently used Odyssey or Sienna, as well. I also like the Mitsubishi Montero Limited, which you can get for around 10k+.

-Nicole.

apsupermom

I am looking at the Kia minivan for sure! I know the Mazda 5 is way too small. We looked at it before ds2 was born and it was too small then. Too bad because I love it!!!
Anyone else?

apsupermom

That's about what I paid for my used XC90. Love it thus far.. I think I might consider a gently used Odyssey or Sienna, as well. I also like the Mitsubishi Montero Limited, which you can get for around 10k+.

-Nicole.

Oh really! May I ask what year???

QuassEE

The '04 XC90 was 13k used a few months back, and is loaded with everything except entertainment..(we have that in our primary vehicle, an Ody).. The only downside I see to the XC90 over a minivan is that there's not as much space. If you need to haul anything large, you have to flip a seat down. We only have one harnessed child, so I wasn't concerned about tether anchor locations (none in the rear).

We either have one booster and one seatbelt child in the rear and a harnessed outboard and big kid outboard in the centre.. or we have three across (harnessed, seatbelt, booster or harnessed, built-in booster, seatbelt) and my oldest in the front if we need the rear space. My 5'9" 150lb 13 year old fits well in the passenger seat ;)

-Nicole.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
07 or 08 kia sedona, hands down (or hyundai entourage, samething)
Note that the 08 actually has one *LESS* LATCH position than the 07. (thanks Maedze!)
However, personally, I am fine with just 3, I don't need 4, nor do i anticipate ever needing 4.

Heather98012

1) Kia Sedona/Hyundai Entourage 2006 or newer.

2) Mazda5, but that might be tight with that many kids, seats, gear, etc. But they get WAY better gas milage.

3) Ody or Sienna if you could find one in that price range.

And Quassee, where did you get a XC90 for that price? If that were an option, I'd look at one of those as well, 'cause of the safety (although accessing the 3rd row will be more of a challenge than any of the vans listed above).

PHaley

What about the Toyota Sequoia, I dream of getting my hands on one, but mostly because for the greatnes of the Sienna minivans still aren't my thing lol

QuassEE

mmm..Sequoia. Good suggestion, as long as fuel economy isn't key. :)

It was definitely on my list when I got my XC90.

-Nicole.

Heather98012

We really love our Sequoia, but without captain's chairs in the 2nd row, getting to that 3rd row is a hassle. So, if you're gonna have 2 seats in the middle row, it might be a PITA.

And fuel economy is suprisingly good. We've had it since April '01 & have averaged 17.5 mpg over the lifetime of the car. Not too bad considering the bulk of the thing.

Rosey

Caravan or town and country. Love the new body style but a couple of family members have the old style and they are really nice vans.

Or the Kia sedona.

monstah

I would totally go for a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X - they are sooo spacious and drive like a dream :love:

I adore the Freestyle and it gets awesome crash test ratings.

Just do NOT get the second row bench seat. You need captains chairs and have the two RF seats there. The FF & seatbelt would have to climb / crawl to the third row. There is only one TT in the third row.

There isn't enough room to RF a seat in the third row, as far as I can tell. I tried a BLVD, Scenera & KF30 with no luck.

I bought a used 06 AWD w/ entertainment package and under 50K miles on it for $11K!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC