Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

Preface this by saying I have 2005 Pathfinder that I hate and I will not be buying another Nissan ever again...so Nissan is out

Obviously looking at used in that price range...

I want high 4-5 stars for both frontal and side impact.

I have been searching but I am completly overwhelmed by all the information!

Kids in seats are one FF Como G2, and two RF True Fits plus one 14 year old in a seat belt. I would love to have a tether in the third row so that I can put a car seat back there...they are driving me nuts next to each other :lol

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: I fyou had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

I would get a 2007 Kia Sedona.

CPS Fanatic

Re: I fyou had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

mazda5
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Re: If you had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

That's about what I paid for my used XC90. Love it thus far.. I think I might consider a gently used Odyssey or Sienna, as well. I also like the Mitsubishi Montero Limited, which you can get for around 10k+.

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Re: If you had $16K to spend and needed three rows what used SUV/Van would you buy?

I am looking at the Kia minivan for sure! I know the Mazda 5 is way too small. We looked at it before ds2 was born and it was too small then. Too bad because I love it!!!
    Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by QuassEE View Post
    That's about what I paid for my used XC90. Love it thus far.. I think I might consider a gently used Odyssey or Sienna, as well. I also like the Mitsubishi Montero Limited, which you can get for around 10k+.

-Nicole.
    Oh really! May I ask what year???

The '04 XC90 was 13k used a few months back, and is loaded with everything except entertainment..(we have that in our primary vehicle, an Ody).. The only downside I see to the XC90 over a minivan is that there's not as much space. If you need to haul anything large, you have to flip a seat down. We only have one harnessed child, so I wasn't concerned about tether anchor locations (none in the rear).

We either have one booster and one seatbelt child in the rear and a harnessed outboard and big kid outboard in the centre.. or we have three across (harnessed, seatbelt, booster or harnessed, built-in booster, seatbelt) and my oldest in the front if we need the rear space. My 5'9" 150lb 13 year old fits well in the passenger seat

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.

07 or 08 kia sedona, hands down (or hyundai entourage, samething)
    Note that the 08 actually has one *LESS* LATCH position than the 07. (thanks Maedze!)
    However, personally, I am fine with just 3, I don't need 4, nor do i anticipate ever needing 4.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

1) Kia Sedona/Hyundai Entourage 2006 or newer.

2) Mazda5, but that might be tight with that many kids, seats, gear, etc. But they get WAY better gas milage.

3) Ody or Sienna if you could find one in that price range.

And Quassee, where did you get a XC90 for that price? If that were an option, I'd look at one of those as well, 'cause of the safety (although accessing the 3rd row will be more of a challenge than any of the vans listed above).

IF i really wanted an SUV instead of a van, I'd look at an 06 or newer honda pilot, or an 07 ford freestyle/08 taurus X.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

What about the Toyota Sequoia, I dream of getting my hands on one, but mostly because for the greatnes of the Sienna minivans still aren't my thing lol

Mommy to my 1st*princess*Born@Home7/23/2010 in a S1st OBA35
    Grateful Godmommy to my loves :DGS1-07/26/01,DGD1-12/02/05,DGD2-06/01/07,DGS2-11/21/08,DGS3 09/10/09

mmm..Sequoia. Good suggestion, as long as fuel economy isn't key.

It was definitely on my list when I got my XC90.

-Nicole.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    I would get a 2007 Kia Sedona.
    Yep, you can totes get one for that price. And, they're safe. I loved mine.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

We really love our Sequoia, but without captain's chairs in the 2nd row, getting to that 3rd row is a hassle. So, if you're gonna have 2 seats in the middle row, it might be a PITA.

And fuel economy is suprisingly good. We've had it since April '01 & have averaged 17.5 mpg over the lifetime of the car. Not too bad considering the bulk of the thing.

I would totally go for a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X - they are sooo spacious and drive like a dream

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    I would totally go for a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X - they are sooo spacious and drive like a dream

But I don't think they have a TA in the third row...someone with a LATCH manual can tell ya that.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

Caravan or town and country. Love the new body style but a couple of family members have the old style and they are really nice vans.

Or the Kia sedona.

I like my sienna. We paid almost $17k for our 2007 six months ago.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

20. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    I adore the Freestyle and it gets awesome crash test ratings.

Just do NOT get the second row bench seat. You need captains chairs and have the two RF seats there. The FF & seatbelt would have to climb / crawl to the third row. There is only one TT in the third row.

There isn't enough room to RF a seat in the third row, as far as I can tell. I tried a BLVD, Scenera & KF30 with no luck.

I bought a used 06 AWD w/ entertainment package and under 50K miles on it for $11K!

22. Thank You from:

Thanks everyone!!! Lots of great ideas for me to check out!