24 hours international travel - Marathon OR Scenera!?

Caryn

I will be traveling a LONG trip alone with my 3 kids (almost 8, 6.5 and 23 months).

Flight: Boston to Washington (United Airlines) - 1.5 hours
Layover - 1.5 hours
Flight: Washington to South Africa (South African Airways) - 16 hours
Layover - 3 hours
Flight: Johannesburg to Durban (South African Airways) - 1 hour

I want to take the Marathon so my kiddo is comfy. But I want to take the Scenera so I don't kill myself before I get there.

I saw a tip on installing the Scenera on a Gogo Kidz Travelmate which I'm considering for both. Can't find the tip again, though! It's either the Travelmate or a luggage cart.

I won't be able to check any bags at the gate since I will need to access them during the LONG flight.

Any thoughts or advice!?

TIA!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally, unless the child complains in the Scenera, I'd bring the Scenera for my own ease of travelling. SO MUCH lighter, and my second child used one as a primary seat for almost a year, including 3-day-long drives from CA to TX and back twice. So, to me, it was comfy enough for her to deal with long trips, if your child is comfy enough from what you can tell, that's what I'd do.

xursusmaritimusx

like another person said, if your child is comfortable in the scenera go that route, otherwise i would bring the marathon on a go go kids. its going to be the easiest and best option for that many planes.

just out of curiosity, what will you be doing in SA?
my sister lives in zambia.

Caryn

I am a South African living in the US because that's where my husband is originally from. So far, I have been back when my dd was 4 months old (skycot and had my mother get a car seat there - will NEVER do that again...not that we plan on any more babies... we don't :whistle:), and then when my dd was 2 and ds was 1 (I don't even remember that flight...). Now they're 7 (going to be 8) and 6, and my ds #3 is 22 months. Will be turning 2 while we're out there.

I checked, and the SAA seats are only 17" wide. The Marathon is 18.7" wide. The Scenera is 17" wide. So I think that pretty much limits what I can do anyway. Didn't realize the SAA seats are so narrow :eek:

Now, to see if I can find the trick for installing a Scenera on a Go Go...

xursusmaritimusx

I am a South African living in the US because that's where my husband is originally from. So far, I have been back when my dd was 4 months old (skycot and had my mother get a car seat there - will NEVER do that again...not that we plan on any more babies... we don't :whistle:), and then when my dd was 2 and ds was 1 (I don't even remember that flight...). Now they're 7 (going to be 8) and 6, and my ds #3 is 22 months. Will be turning 2 while we're out there.

I checked, and the SAA seats are only 17" wide. The Marathon is 18.7" wide. The Scenera is 17" wide. So I think that pretty much limits what I can do anyway. Didn't realize the SAA seats are so narrow :eek:

Now, to see if I can find the trick for installing a Scenera on a Go Go...

oh thats very cool! sorry its been so long since you've been able to go back!
my sister has been loving her time in africa.

as for the marathon and seats, the widest part is 18 but the base is much smaller. it fits on plane seats just great, you might have to raise the seat arm on some planes. most coach seats are 17" across the board.
so if you want to still take the marathon you can.

Caryn

so if you want to still take the marathon you can.

That's really good to know... I may just do that if I can get my hands on a GoGo Kidz Travelmate. Don't want to be lugging the Marathon around the world any other way! LOL! Even if it's a pain to get through security, it'll be worth it since we'll be about 24 hours on the flip side! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC