I don't like my new True Fit.

Mae

First of all, I remember being told on here that I could install in the center with LATCH, as long as the car seat company allowed. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. Is this correct?

Second of all, My TrueFit will not install in the center with the lap belt. Nope, not happening. So I installed with LATCH and got a pretty good install. Not exactly "rock the car solid", but more like "I can rock the car with a hair of movement". Keep in mind, this is in the center with LATCH. PLEASE correct me if this is not allowed. My car's instruction manual is kind of plain about LATCH.

Third of all, this thing is HUGE! I don't like that I have to completely look around the back of my car to check blindspots. I used to be able to just looked behind me.

Fourth of all, the removable headrest has to be on in my situation. My poor kido that is going to be using the seat JUST hit 22 pounds, but her head is WAY under the line, and she's only on the very first harness position! I don't like that I have to put on the headrest. :thumbsdown:

Sigh. I don't know about all this. The lock-offs aren't all that great either.

Oh, and I don't think my seat is reclined enough. Isn't this the seat that REQUIRES it to be between 40 and 45 degrees?

(Wooden porch is ground level)

DSCI5552.jpg

DSCI5554.jpg

ADS

Mae

Can't you install it outboard?

I could, but that would result in one whiney passenger (they'd be really close to the dash) and I like that extra 4-7% extra protection from the center. Yes, I know, I'm weird. I'll probably suck it up anyway and install outboard. This has just been an awful day.

Blondie87

Sorry. My True Fit always gave me more passenger room then other seats. Hopefully you can figure something out. If you can find a tech or someone off this board in your area, sometimes it helps to have someone else lend a helping hand...

Wineaux

Mine is installed outboard because of a complete incompatibility with the 60/40 seat in my DW's 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

ETA: From the first pic, your passenger seat is really reclined. Get it as straight up as the driver side and you shouldn't lose any leg room.

Spam

That stinks :( I have a 04 grand prix, but it has 3 sets of latch. What's the problem with the seatbelt. Did you try twisting the stalk to make it shorter? You might want to try a pool noodle under it, I don't know how old baby is.. Yeah it's a big seat, but you'll get lots of use out of it :)

Mae

Hopefully you can figure something out. If you can find a tech or someone off this board in your area, sometimes it helps to have someone else lend a helping hand...

I wish. I don't think there is anybody near me...

That stinks :( I have a 04 grand prix, but it has 3 sets of latch. What's the problem with the seatbelt. Did you try twisting the stalk to make it shorter? You might want to try a pool noodle under it, I don't know how old baby is.. Yeah it's a big seat, but you'll get lots of use out of it :)

(Bolded part in your quote) I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to have the headrest on. She still has plently of room under the line, but she's just at the weight limit. :(

The seatbelt just hits it funny in a really awkward spot that's makes it hard to tighten and then buckle. It hits right on the edge. I'll try to twist the stalk. I'm going to go out and try to do it again sometime tomorrow, maybe tonight still. The kido is 25 months, but she's really super tiny. She's currently riding in my AO and she's 22 pounds even and she's barely over the slots on the 2nd to bottom position!

Here's what the seatbelt does. It hits it right on the edge and makes it so that I can't buckle it. Maybe twisting will help, but I've never had much luck with twisting my stalks. Oh, and come to think of it. Even if I did get it to tighten, it looks like the buckle will lay right in the way of the lock-offs.

DSCI5555.jpg

Laurette

You have a locking latchplate so you don't need to use the lock off. Hope that helps. And I hope you find a solution.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You must use the lockoffs with the True Fit, even for LATCH.

Twisting the stalk up to three full turns should help. Otherwise I'd give LC a call on Monday and see what they say.

Is that driver's seat set up for you? If so, it looks like it should fit behind you at that angle, and you can install with LATCH there.

Wendy

Mae

You must use the lockoffs with the True Fit, even for LATCH.

Is that driver's seat set up for you?

Wendy

I thought I had to use the lockoffs, thanks for you who clarified.

And yep, driver's seat is for me. I'll try it there tomorrow. Hopefully I can manage to twist the stalk and get it to work in the center!

Mommy0608

Definitely try twisting the stalk, and try it both ways (rotate the stalk clockwise to see if that works, if not, try counterclockwise). Sometimes just the direction in which you twist the stalk will have an effect on the installation.

Putting it behind the driver's seat will also eliminate much (or possibly all) of the blindspot issue as well.

Did you check the thread at the top of Car Seat Chat forum for a CPST in your area? I don't know where you live but if I'm close enough I'd be happy to meet with you.

InternationalMama

We installed a TFP (same seat, basically) in a 2003 Grand Am in the center so I really think you should be able to get it to work. I agree that it's all about twisting the belt stalk. I've seen at least one thread on here about how to twist the stalk in a Grand Am (it can be tricky) so you could do a search and see what you can find. I don't think I can explain it well.

Otherwise you should be able to get enough room outboard. The person whose car we were using actually preferred it outboard with LATCH so give it a try.

I agree that the seat is huge for a Grand Am though. Honestly, we used the ComfortSport in the center instead of the TFP. It installs like a dream with that lap belt and fits between the two front seats so no need to put the seats forward. Not that I'm recommending you go out and buy a ComfortSport! I'm just saying I completely see what you're saying about the TF.

ETA: I found the post I was thinking of about Grand Am buckle stalks. It's from the poster Pixel99. It's about a Radian install, but stil might be helpful: "The buckle stalk is long. I needed to twist it one full time to get it out of the belt path. Getting it twisted all the way around that one time took some doing because of the stitching on the belt. First I had to twist it half way, then work that twist down below the level of the cushions. Then I could do the other half-twist above the cushion."

Last edited:

Mae

I believe the closest tech to me is munchkin, she's about an hour and 20 minutes away. The next closest techs would be 3 or more hours.

I was going to give it another try today but to my great annoyance, it's raining outside and I have to leave in an hour. Maybe when I get home I will give it a try. I'm definately set on getting it in the middle, so this has also given me hope that I CAN do it!

We installed a TFP (same seat, basically) in a 2003 Grand Am in the center so I really think you should be able to get it to work. I agree that it's all about twisting the belt stalk. I've seen at least one thread on here about how to twist the stalk in a Grand Am (it can be tricky) so you could do a search and see what you can find.

ETA: Wait, I just saw that the tech emandbri is about an hour and 10 minutes.

Mae

Ok, well I got the seatbelt to work with two full twists. Now of course, I've come to yet another obsticle.

The seatbelt lays in the way of the lock-off. It's all bunched up where the red part needs to flip over and I cannot get it to move. I've re-installed it about three times, trying to get the seatbelt to move. I've tried to make it more upright, in hopes that it would move out of the way.

Any suggestions?

DSCI5565.jpg

DSCI5568.jpg

ETA: Oh, and the seatbelt is on top of the crotch buckle... Is this ok?

DSCI5566.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When I was installing mine I had to physically pull the belt toward the back of the car so that it wouldn't be bunched in the lockoffs. For an older child you can also try adding weight where the feet go, rather than at the bum.

Wendy

nevaehsmommy

I have a true fit that is hard to install in the middle. I do not have latch and it is just a lap belt. Long belt stalks as well. One thing I have notticed is that if I move the true fit a few inches off center with the extra inches to the the side where the belt is not, the seat installs better. It gives more room for the latching so the belt thing and the lockoffs dont hit.

Also I have found that if I tilt the seat back to far on purpose after all the adjusting it is where it needs to be instead of fighting with the seat to stay at the right angle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC