PSA: If you are considering a Radian,

abacus2

but are reluctant to order because you can't find anywhere to see one in person, order one anyway! After spending this morning working on three across scenarios in my two cars, I am kicking myself for not ordering a Radian for Rachael when I first needed a high weight seat 3 years ago. The Decathlon does not play nice in 3 across in my cars. I won't be able to use it at all in the Cavalier, even with a Radian and a Parkway as my other seats. I think I will be able to use it in the Intrepid next to the FPSVD, but the seats have to be just jammed together as tight as they can possibly be and I really don't like the fit, although I believe it will be acceptable.

ADS

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
:confused: :scratcheshead:

I'm confused. I've read your post three times and I still don't know what it is saying. :eek: The radian doesn't install well/ easily in many makes and models of cars. This is why a lot of people are reluctant to buy it without being able to try it first. Just because you can get it to work in your car and I can get it to work in my car doesn't mean that everyone will be able to get it to work in their cars.

abacus2

I'm saying find a place that has a good return policy and order a Radian to try it. I didn't buy a Radian 3 years ago when it would have been the best option for me because I couldn't find anywhere to try it in person and I wasn't sure it would work in my cars. Now that I have 3 kids, I am really, really wishing I had taken the risk and ordered a Radian without knowing if it would work. I ended up with a Decathlon instead. The Radian would have been better than the Decathlon then and would be much better for me now.

I'm sorry, arranging seats for 3 kids in 2 cars is complicated and frustrating IRL; apparently it came out complicated and unclear in my post too.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I get what you're saying. I ordered my "first" radian from Target just for the return policy if it didn't work. I'm happy with them, and I honestly have never had a rear-facing install problem (forward facing, I've had a couple, but nothing scream-inducting)

Morganthe

I get what you're saying. I ordered my "first" radian from Target just for the return policy if it didn't work.

Same here. :thumbsup: Completely worth my while. Never met a car I couldn't install it in. The center spot in my MiL's civic ALMOST didn't qualify, but got it in there for an 'acceptable' too. :D

I think it was Sept or Oct 2006 that I ordered it from Target.com. FFing only back then. DD was 34lbs. Each time they upped the RFing weight limit, dd had just gained another pound or so to not qualify. Happened again with this 45lb change too. :rolleyes:

Too bad they didn't just jump to 50lb rfing, she'd be quite okay slightly above those strap slots, instead of completely outgrown ff'd. :p

tl01

We have a Radian and love it. Well actually we had a Radian 65 and sold it and now we have a Radian XT on the way. We haven't had a problem installing it yet...thank goodness.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I didn't order one for years either since I kept hearing how they don't work in 'burbs with a seat belt (depending on year of course). Well I ordered an XT a month ago to use in dh's truck...I've had it a week now and it hasn't left my burb, because I like it so well!!!! I doubt it would work in all rear seating positions in the 'burb, but it does work, and quite well!

Morganthe

You could always just get a Two Way Elite or a Multi Tech. Gotta be easy to find in Germany :whistle:

Nope. Haven't seen ANYTHING of the sort. Kids are in booster seats by 3-4 years old, similar to the states-- at least it's true in the 'state' of Rheinland-Pfaltz where Ramstein & Spangdahlem Airbases are located.

Dd had to defend an accusation last week from a just turned 5 year old friend that her Regent WAS NOT A BABY SEAT! :rolleyes:

Besides, DD is coming up on 49" tall. She'd be borderline on fit anyway. :shrug-shoulders:

InternationalMama

Nope. Haven't seen ANYTHING of the sort.

I recently found out that BeSafe is selling their 40 lbs RF seats all over Germany with trained fitters to help you install them in your car! I have the list of stores if you want it. :) (Of course, I realize your DD has outgrown these seats, but their -are- ERF seats in Germany now and not just by mail order.)

To the OP, thanks for saying this! I didn't order the Radian mainly because I got scared away by the install issues I kept hearing about. I think it will be the next car seat I buy, hopefully with a 45 lbs RF limit. :)

Pixels

Each time they upped the RFing weight limit, dd had just gained another pound or so to not qualify. Happened again with this 45lb change too. :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is, in about 5 pounds we should expect to see a 50 pound limit? And around the time she hits 65 pounds, the Radian65 will be 65 pounds FF or RF? ;):p

arly1983

I can agree with you. The one car I thought I couldn't get an acceptable install in, I did eventually get it. It just took a little more effort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC