Question A Trio of Carseat Questions!

U

Unregistered

If there are answers, I know I'll get them here! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. DD is 6.5 mos.

1) Proper Install of TrueFit RFing in center of '08 Ford Edge: My Huz installed it with the help of a CPST with the seatbelt (LATCH anchors are too far apart), and it seems good and tight. Problem is the Edge has a 60/40 split seat, and one side of the seat seems to be sliding down in to the split, which makes the seat higher on the driver's side than the passenger side. Does this matter? I'll try to post a picture later.

2) I need to choose a convertible for Huz's truck. I want to ERF and he drives an '04 Ford F-150 SuperCab. It doesn't seem like there's enough room between the front and back seats for another TrueFit. How can I figure out what convertible seat will fit RF, other than buying and returning them?

3) The Edge doesn't have anything to keep things in the back cargo area from flying up into the cabin in case of an accident. Is there anything that can be installed in the car to keep cargo in the cargo space in this scenario? I was thinking something like those cage-things for animals, but I'm not sure how it could be installed.

TIA for the advice!!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

1) 60/40 split seat, and one side of the seat seems to be sliding down in to the split, which makes the seat higher on the driver's side than the passenger side. Does this matter? I'll try to post a picture later.

2) I need to choose a convertible for Huz's truck. I want to ERF and he drives an '04 Ford F-150 SuperCab. It doesn't seem like there's enough room between the front and back seats for another TrueFit. How can I figure out what convertible seat will fit RF, other than buying and returning them?

3) The Edge doesn't have anything to keep things in the back cargo area from flying up into the cabin in case of an accident. Is there anything that can be installed in the car to keep cargo in the cargo space in this scenario? I was thinking something like those cage-things for animals, but I'm not sure how it could be installed.

TIA for the advice!!

1. It is ok if the carseat is not exactly level side to side, as long as the child is comfortable, and their head is not always tipped to the side. So a little bit of an angle is just fine. I would double check your vehicle manual to make sure that this position is ok to install a carseat in, just to be sure.

2. Some stores will let you try the install before you buy, such as Babies R Us (BRU.) With Target you can order online and return in store, so those would be great options for you.

3. Have you checked with a local dealer? Usually newer vehicles have cargo anchors, so you can purchase a net that connects right to those. I don't like the heavy dog cage things.

U

Unregistered

1) Proper Install of TrueFit RFing in center of '08 Ford Edge: My Huz installed it with the help of a CPST with the seatbelt (LATCH anchors are too far apart), and it seems good and tight. Problem is the Edge has a 60/40 split seat, and one side of the seat seems to be sliding down in to the split, which makes the seat higher on the driver's side than the passenger side. Does this matter? I'll try to post a picture later.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/PaulandCasey/Aubrey/IMGP2271.jpg

Not sure if the link will work, but here's hoping...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
*bump* as the OP posted a pic showing how the seat is falling into the crack of her 60/40 split and could use some info on whether this is safe.

ETA: have you tried the TF in the truck? It may install more upright and fit. Once it's installed more upright, it doesn't take up more room once the headrest is attached (once your DD gets to 22 pounds or the red height line). As long as your little one has good head control (and I like to say can sit unassisted), the TF can be as upright as 35° (and as long as her head doesn't flop at this angle). You can also push hard where baby's feet go when installing the seat rather than pushing where their bum goes, to get it installed more upright.

Nisha

I don't know if there's technically anything *wrong* with the car seat slipping into the crack, but I don't think I would be comfortable with it in my vehicle.

I suppose it would depend mainly on if you push (gently) the car seat sideways, does it move further into the crack?
How stable does the car seat feel?

ETA - I suppose I would just move it outboard if it's not stable or if it moves further into the crack when moved.

cpsaddict

My sister has an 04 F150 Supercab and her Britax Marathon fits perfectly, even behind the drivers seat and it's back pretty far. In the middle, it could easily be quite reclined. As it is now, it's about 30 degrees for her toddler. I imagine a True Fit would fit as well.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
By supercab, do you mean extended or crew? We had an extended and crew and used a cosco scerena and bv and ra all rf in the back seat.

Pixels

I'm not comfortable with how that seat is slipping into that crack. Half the seat isn't even significantly supported. In a crash, it is the vehicle seat that resists the seat's downward rotation. But here, only half the seat has any significant support.

Can you reinstall it farther from the crack? It'll depend on the spacing of your seatbelt anchors. Try putting the seat as far towards the driver's side as you can. Otherwise, move it outboard or use a different seat.

U

Unregistered

TechnoGranola, thanks for the bump!

I'm not comfortable with how that seat is slipping into that crack. Half the seat isn't even significantly supported. In a crash, it is the vehicle seat that resists the seat's downward rotation. But here, only half the seat has any significant support.

Can you reinstall it farther from the crack? It'll depend on the spacing of your seatbelt anchors. Try putting the seat as far towards the driver's side as you can. Otherwise, move it outboard or use a different seat.

Thank you for the response. I'm not comfortable with it either, but I can't get anyone to definitively tell me it's "safer" to move her outboard. No, it can't be installed further from the crack in the center because when the seatbelt is tightened, this is where the seat ends up. I cannot use the LATCH anchors because the inner two are 20'' apart, and the TrueFit only allows for LATCH installation with anchors of a maximum of 15'' apart (according to the mfgr).

By supercab, do you mean extended or crew? We had an extended and crew and used a cosco scerena and bv and ra all rf in the back seat.

I'm sorry, I meant extended cab. I didn't realize that I could adjust the angle of the TF, but it does make sense that if you can use a towel to level it you could also use a towel or something to angle it.

Thank you for the responses. I've moved DD outboard for now, but I'd really like to find a way to keep her in the center. Maybe moving the TF to the F-150 and getting a new seat for the Edge that will work with the 60/40 split is the answer....

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
What if you try and get the TF more up right in your Dh's truck and if it fits there then you could get a different seat for the car, like a Radian.

*I* would not use the TF in the center spot, if it was falling into the crack of the 60/40 split. There would be uneven support in the event of a crash.

The passanger side is my fav location for my smaller, non verbal RFers, I can stick a hand over for comfort or whatever, when Im fully stopped, of course ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC