What jackets/coats are your kids wearing in the car this winter?....

emandbri

There seems to be quite a few of us looking so I thought it would help to start a thread. If you can post a link or picture.

Jacob has a lands end jacket I cheap off season a a year and a half ago.
I think it is similar to this one, I got it for $15! :D

http://www.landsend.com/pp/Windfall...re&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000043

Daniel and Benjamin are wearing hand me down lands end jackets that I bought years ago. I bought them big so even though I bought them for Jacob and Daniel when they were 4 and 6 the bigger one fits Daniel still! lol

I think they are similar to these but might be a bit thicker.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCh...K&CM_MERCH=IDX_00003__0000000343&origin=index

Elizabeth will wear her car seat poncho but I also want to find her something to wear at school that is easier to play in and I don't trust the teachers to get her in the seat right with the poncho on.

Here are pictures of the poncho, I love it so much I had professional pictures taken in it! :D

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=622457&postcount=15
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36104&highlight=poncho

Haven't decided what else to get for Elizabeth, I'm hoping this thread will help me decide.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I need to check if my $13 Walmart Lands End Squall Knockoffs (thin fleece with a waterproof nylon outer, so that there's very little to compress under a harness, unlike a puffy down jacket would have) still fit my kids.... they were enormous last year, so I hope they still do!
Leah's got a few fleece jackets and a Lands' End Squall, but it's not terribly cold here, the fleece is enough for most days. I found 3 squalls hiding in the closet that I bought for the older kids dirt cheap a couple years ago on ebay, they are old style, I'll either see if Leah wants them when she grows into them or donate them to Coats for Kids some year... :) Oh, Leah has a MOST adorable pink carseat poncho I got her a couple years ago, but she gets so freaked out that there's no sleeves! I got the larger size and even my 6 yo dd wore it once or twice, so I'll keep it and hope she develops a love for it sometime soon :D

zactayaus

Well DS1 never where's anything but a t-shirt even in winter. I always try to get him to wear at least a sweatshirt but he's 18yo and thinks he knows everything.:rolleyes:

DD and DS2 have the same jackets. They are windbreakers with a light sweatshirt material on the inside. This will be DD's 3rd year wearing hers (yeah I bought them big) but we had to get DS2 a new one.

Here's a pic of DS2 wearing his in the GN last year:

Austinincarseat.jpg

The baby will be wearing a fleece coverall from llbean.

Looks like this one: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=55913&parentCategory=503756&cat4=6731&productId=812890&display_id=53632&feat=sr&catalog_id=TK&from=SR&rtnComp=&BV_TrackingTag_Review_Display_Sort=http%3A//reviews.llbean.com/1138/53632/reviews.htm%3Fformat%3Dembedded%26sortOrder%3Dfeatured

melniemi

The 2 littles are wearing llbean fleece snowsuits, big boys have fleece jackets - 1 lands end marinac and 1 harley one, dd1 - I need to get her something - likely a fleece from tcp when they get them.

eta - dd1 and I will be wearing the lands end's marinacs they have on sale right now!! just ordered them

Last edited:

Maedze

The two bigs have surprisingly decent quality 3-in-1s from Target. They'll wear the fleece underlining in the car. I'll probably buy the same for the baby when they make an appearance in the stores. Now that he's big, those fleece coveralls are just too warm and cumbersome.

featherhead

Selah will be wearing a fleece jacket from Superstore. I'm still waiting for Walmart to get their snowsuits to see if they have the same thin one they have had for a few years. If so, that's what Kezi will wear.

IMG_2356.JPG

this is is a pic from last year of Selah's fleece from Superstore.

::er!ca::

I'm getting ready to order my girls' fleece jackets from Columbia.

My little one will be wearing this (she had one last year too, loved it and loved the fold over mittens)
9pqj4p.jpg

And my older one will wear this
2388id.jpg

Mommy2Marcus

I just always layer Marcus. He usually wears a thin long sleeve cotton shirt over a thin fleece zip-up/pull over type jacket. It never gets to terribly cold here though. However we did have a VERY mild summer, so we might be in for a very cold winter this year.

As for the car seat poncho, I might have to see if my Mamaw could make me one. She sews, so I am sure she could & that it would not be to terribly hard. I would LOVE to have one for Marcus & maybe even myself.

AtTheSouthDam

Ciara still fits in the HA fleece coveralls from last year so she gets to be a blue bear again on the really cold days :D. Otherwise she usually wears a hooded fleecy.
Bethany has a fleece lined wind jacket from Target and Now a three in one jacket from Sam's Club so she is set for the unperdictable, rapidly chaning weather now as well.

I think we are lucky that is rarely cold enough that we need down filled parkas. Those are usually reserved for skiing.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

My little one will be wearing this (she had one last year too, loved it and loved the fold over mittens)
9pqj4p.jpg
I was thinking of getting DD one of these (not for the car though, she's already got something) but I also want it for camping next summer to wear in the evenings. Are the fold over mittens removable?

ETA: I took a closer look and I see they are not removable but I could just have them flipped out of the way. :thumbsup:

::er!ca::

I was thinking of getting DD one of these (not for the car though, she's already got something) but I also want it for camping next summer to wear in the evenings. Are the fold over mittens removable?

They are just fleece lined, like the material of the jacket... and they unfold, so the sleeves are just like a regular jacket. So not they do not remove from the jacket itself, but they do come unfolded so the jacket can act like a regular jacket with regular sleeves.

Think about the type of fold over mittens a newborn sleep gown has. They fold over the hands, or unfolded it's like regular long sleeves.

Shanora

I have to get something for DS#2, and quite possibly something for DD, as she is SO tiny that what I DO have for her, wont fit *sigh* lol
But I have the L.L.bean fleece suit for her.

fyrfightermomma

The kids Columbia fleece jackets that zip up with no hoods. It will be our 3rd year with them. When babe comes he/she will be in a Columbia fleece snowsuit.

We buy cheap,warm, puffy waterproof coats from Walmart or Kmart just for playing outside and stuff

Mommy0608

9pqj4p.jpg

And my older one will wear this
2388id.jpg

They are just fleece lined, like the material of the jacket... and they unfold, so the sleeves are just like a regular jacket. So not they do not remove from the jacket itself, but they do come unfolded so the jacket can act like a regular jacket with regular sleeves.

Think about the type of fold over mittens a newborn sleep gown has. They fold over the hands, or unfolded it's like regular long sleeves.

I was looking at that one with the fold-over mittens for DD to wear in the car and at preschool, but I'm worried that it won't be warm enough. How cold does it get where you live? Also, is there a separate place for the thumb (like a puppet), or is it all just one space for the whole hand? DD would get mad if she didn't have her thumb available for playing. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I'm undecided about Jessica. Tyler will wear a Columbia one-piece fleece suit that I found on Ebay. :thumbsup:

Dillipop

I picked up a lands end squall jacket for ds1 at Savers for $3.50. He'll wear that in the car. My mom got him an llbean 3-in-1 for the bus stop/outside play. If I pick him up from school, we'll use the inner lining in the car and take off the shell.

I think I have an oshkosh, fleece lined nylon jacket for ds2. Not completely sure what we have in his size, but I've kept everything from ds1, so I'm sure we have something appropriate.

Mommy0608

Is this Lands End Squall jacket thin enough for the car? I've never seen one, but it sounds like it is fleece with a windbreaker layer, so would that be thin enough?

I can't spend that much on a jacket for her, but I could search Ebay.

Holly

I love the 4 in one system jackets from Walmart. This will be the 4th year we've used them.
The girls wear the inner jacket in their carseats, it thin enough to be safe but warm enough to/from the car and in the car. For playing in the snow they wear the outer coat or both coats together.
I think they will still be able to fit in last years coats this year!
I'm debating between one of those or the old navy one piece fleece suits for the baby.

Here are a few pictures of them in their coats in the past:

December2007143.jpg

December2007090.jpg

December2008010.jpg

ontariomama

I just bought my little guy this MEC fleece bunting suit. It gets cold here :)

I'm debating between one of those or the old navy one piece fleece suits for the baby

I had one of those for DS last winter, and can I say it was a bit of a pain to get him in and out of it because the zipper didn't go down a leg. It was such a PITA that he wore it twice... and he was born in January. It was cute though ;)

BigDaddy

Most of the time, they don't wear jackets in their car seats. When need be, we'll heat the van, and then walk them out with a small blanket. Sometimes, if we're going somewhere that they'll need warm clothing when we get there (like the park, or one of our many trips to Sea World and Busch Gardens) I'll let them wear something heavier in their car seats. They usually wear either a hoodie or sweater from 77kids.... that's actually where most of their clothes come from.

http://www.ae.com/77kids/index.jsp

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC