An e-mail from Dorel regarding the Complete Air

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
No new information, but I just wanted to share and complain a little.

Recently, I had submitted a comment on Dorel's website expressing my disappointment with the 40" height limit for rear-facing on the Complete Air, given the tall shell. I pointed out that most other seats on the market go by physical indicators rather than specific height limitations for rear-facing. I think I said something like I thought Dorel should consider revisiting this issue because they have a tall shelled seat that would fit most kids for much longer than 40 inches rear-facing and that there aren't many kids who are 40 inches tall who would have their heads anywhere near the top of the headrest.

I got this response today:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in the Complete Air Convertible Car Seat. We are pleased to offer the Complete Air with a 40lb and 40” occupant size limit and sincerely hope this will help parents keep their children rear facing longer. As you may already know both the American Academy of Pediatrics and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommend that children remain rear facing as long as possible and allowed by their child restraints.

In regards to your specific inquiry, the rear facing height and weight limits are based on extensive testing and research. The size of an occupant (height and weight) has an effect on car seat dynamics. Many of our competitors lack a height requirement when switching between modes of use. We believe our greater level of detail in our requirements is reflective of our extensive testing and research.

You may already know, size and weight is only a part of several important criteria for rear facing. For example, the rear facing shoulder harness position must be even with or just below the shoulders. Also, when used rear facing the child’s head cannot exceed the top of the headrest in the highest position.

We are continuously looking to further advance the safety of child occupants. We believe the Complete Air is a revolutionary innovation in child passenger safety and something every CPS tech and parent should strongly consider.”

Thank you,

Dorothy, CPST
Consumer Relations
Dorel Juvenile Group

I don't think the response really addressed my concerns. For instance, they are aware that others seats don't list a rear-facing height limit; they think that their limit is "reflective of [their] extensive testing and research." But, later the e-mail mentions the head not exceeding the headrest. I think that if they were truly extensively researching this seat, they would have discovered that 40 inch kids still have plenty of room above their heads in the seat. I also think that if they want "every CPS tech and parent" to consider buying this seat, then they might want to listen to the concerns of parents who are in the market for seats like this in order to improve their products.

(For the record, I'm not one who would be overly concerned with the limit of 40 inches over how a child physically fits in the seat. I'm also not impressed with the seat after playing with it, so it's not exactly on my list of seats to purchase. I just wanted to point out to Dorel that they were missing out on a population of kids who could fit in the seat by their own physical indicators but couldn't use it because of the 40" limit. I wasn't even sure I would get a response, since it was an online suggestion form. I guess it was more of an academic exercise than anything else. :p)

ADS

Splash

My kid is 41 inches and dead even with the 3rd of five slots. Even without the headrest fully extended, he has a minimum of five inches of shell over his head.

Mommy0608

Yeah, that's rather vague (and a bit disappointing). My 40" child had sooo much room above her head (like 6" or more).

:scratcheshead: :shrug-shoulders:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow, what an utterly underwhelming response. It sounds like this person read the email, and went to their supervisor for advice on what to say, and the supervisor said "just say something about extensive testing and research!"

sunnymw

Oh noes, does that mean I can't use my Scenera rear-facing past 36"? Because that's what the box says!!!!

Spam

Total crappy response :rolleyes: Are they trying to say it didn't pass testing with an 40" child?? :scratcheshead:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Same type of resonse I got when I talked to them in person, about the wonderful 3 in 1.

canadiangie

That's what it sounds like to me..... email translation: "Other manufacturers are able to design car seats that can safely accommodate children over 40", due to extensive testing and research, we've discovered that we can't."

:ROTFLMAO:

That made my day, thanks. :D

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I don't understand why Dorel can't grasp the concept of children having differing torso lengths... I mean that 40" kid could have a 12 inch torso or a 17inch torso, you know? geez.

I'm more angry (seriously, honestly) about the minimum limit - my 27 inch long, 6-9month wearing son DOES NOT FIT the bottom slots (which make the wings a little too high for my liking). I would love to see what newborn can, and I'm TERRIFIED that parents are going to buy this thing for their little kiddos.

Oh, and I REALLY wish the $&*!&$) thing came with comfort pads. DD has permanent marks on her neck.

Mommy0608

That's what it sounds like to me..... email translation: "Other manufacturers are able to design car seats that can safely accommodate children over 40", due to extensive testing and research, we've discovered that we can't."

Normally I'd refrain from saying anything like that about a car seat manufacturer, but.....

:ROTFLMAO:

Ahem... anyway. :eek: Yes, it's quite disappointing. The more and more I'm reading about these seats, the more satisfied I am with my decision to return them. Oh True Fit, how I love thee.

Wineaux

Dorel will have reps at my local BRU on the 12th for a big safety seminar that they are putting on to help spur sales of the Complete Air. I was there yesterday dropping off a resume for a managerial position. I was told that sales of the seat have so far been very underwhelming nationwide. They just moved the seats to an endcap and sales have picked up some. These store visits are another way to help spur sales. I was planning on being there anyways to hear what they had to say and to toss a resume there way as well. I'll happily hold their feet to the fire over the height issue. Anything else you folks want me to ask?

Mama!

Dorel will have reps at my local BRU on the 12th for a big safety seminar that they are putting on to help spur sales of the Complete Air. I was there yesterday dropping off a resume for a managerial position. I was told that sales of the seat have so far been very underwhelming nationwide. They just moved the seats to an endcap and sales have picked up some. These store visits are another way to help spur sales. I was planning on being there anyways to hear what they had to say and to toss a resume there way as well. I'll happily hold their feet to the fire over the height issue. Anything else you folks want me to ask?

PUH Lease make the point that a group of 40 inch kids will all have different torsoes, and that there are some of us with 38 lb 42 inch kids who FIT with shell over the head, yet the manual says No!

Arg!

Sorry for that horrible run on sentence.:eek:

Oh, and ask WTH a 250 dollar seat has no shoulder pads? The straps cut into my son's neck like nobody's business.:mad:

arly1983

I was reading reviews on BRU today and there were a scary number that saying that the seat was too upright RFing/babies with severe headflopping OR really bad installs.

Now I know WE could probably correct those two problems but it seems the general public can't. Now think about how clueless most parents are about bad installs and how bad the installs must be for that many reviews saying the same thing. I wonder how many more people are having the same problems, leaving no review, and returning the seat to the store or just turning the kid FFIng.

(BTW, if you do go and read the reviews, make sure to look for two funny mistakes:
-Pediatrician says Britax is safer because they go by British safety standards
-"Ricaros" cost $500 thereby the CA is a deal at $250 :D)

Mama!

I was reading reviews on BRU today and there were a scary number that saying that the seat was too upright RFing/babies with severe headflopping OR really bad installs.

Now I know WE could probably correct those two problems but it seems the general public can't. Now think about how clueless most parents are about bad installs and how bad the installs must be for that many reviews saying the same thing. I wonder how many more people are having the same problems, leaving no review, and returning the seat to the store or just turning the kid FFIng.

(BTW, if you do go and read the reviews, make sure to look for two funny mistakes:
-Pediatrician says Britax is safer because they go by British safety standards
-"Ricaros" cost $500 thereby the CA is a deal at $250 :D)

Oh dear.

I had a booger of a time getting it really tight on the BRU test bench, b/c those darn latch anchors stick up about 4 inches out of the bight on ours. Gah. And without the time to take the cover off the bottom, I couldn't get my hand up in there. I hope parents know its ok to unhook the bottom of the cover to pull the latch straps tight.:confused:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Once I did thread the strap up through the cover, I didn't have a problem with LATCH even on that awful BRU bench. It was even simpler in my actual car. Did need pool noodles though.

DahliaRW

Honestly, I'm still perfectly comfortable ignoring the height. I doubt they actually tested it with a 40" dummy, and at that point, what was the torso height?

Honestly, I'd prefer a radian rfing for a 40lb rfing seat, but in my car I can barely get it more upright than 45 degrees. And when ds2 sits in it it reclines more and looks to be about 45 degrees (he's right next to my ss1 which looks to be the same angle). As he gets taller I'm afraid it will actually recline beyond 45 degrees when he's in it. Which, is a bigger safety issue to me.

Raegansmom4

Got to see it yesterday at my TRU (no BRU where I'm at in SD). Was unimpressed. If it was $150, maybe, just maybe, but the 40 inch limit would make me still say no. It didn't really feel any sturdier than the plastic they use for the Scenera, imo. Anyone notice the air pillows make a sqeaky noise when you squeeze them (couldn't help myself)?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC