Multi Tech vs Hi-way

simplychels

Im looking into purchasing one of these seats. While looking online I noticed the MT says it starts at 20lbs rf'ing. Now would that be somewhat like our seats where sure they say a 5lb infant fits but they really dont? Or does 20lbs mean 20lbs?

DD is 22lbs, about 33-34 inches tall, no clue seated torso height, but i can say shes more leg then torso.

Really you dont want to purchase a swedish seat and have it arrive only to realize you cant use it right away! :p

Also what are the consequences of being caught while using an illegal seat? tickets I can handle, seat being taken away i'd be pretty irate.

ADS

canadiangie

One of the biggest issues with using a non CMVSS seat is actually getting it over the border. I'd be concerned that it will be confiscated and you'll a) never see it, and b) be out the $600 or so (?) it cost.

Is there a reason why you can't wait to see if the newest Radian XT's will rear face to 45 lbs? For most children a 45 lb rf'ing seat with such a tall shell will take them well into their 4th year of life -- at which point, a child is *more* than safe going ff'ing in a top tethered properly installed seat. If not the XT, the 65 and Premiere models are slated to have a 40 lb rf'ing limit, which again, for most children, will take them very close or even past their 4th birthday.

As for the min weight on the MT or HW, I have no idea. Adventure Dad would be the person you'd want to ask.

simplychels

I've already PM'd him, he said I shouldnt have an issue getting it across the border. But now you've scared me haha.

There is no reason why I cant wait besides impatience. If the new XT was just slated for release in the states, who knows how long it could be until it gets here. Unless somebody has a time limit they are able to throw out? It is nice seeing more 40+lb seats being released over here thats for sure.

For me wanting this swedish seat is more then just the high limits. Its also the leg room they offer. I want to rf until I cant possibly go any longer, and her legs will start getting mighty long. Even though I know it wont impact her at all, the extra leg room would be nice for our long 8 hour drives that we make quite frequently.

This is an "I want" situation for sure. Just one of those silly things. Thanks for your imput

canadiangie

I should also mention that using a foreign seat can void insurance coverage should you be in a crash and need to claim for damages (injuries, or otherwise).

There's also the issue of receiving a violation ticket ($115 in Alberta for example) for using a non-approved seat.

In terms of being impatient, I would encourage you to try harder. I've rushed into a few seat purchases over the years, only regretting it in the end when something -- exactly what I "wanted" -- suddenly appears in Canada. We're obviously heading into some new extended rear facing territory here.. seeing some unprecidented rear facing weight limits, and IMO we're just getting started. :twocents:

simplychels

Thats true, good point. Canada is finally making some great headway, and we need people to purchase those new higher rf'ing limit seats so mrf'ers know there is a market for them and keep them coming!

I suppose I'm also just bored with my seat, its been 2 years since I've had a MA. I want to play with something new and exciting, lol. Its a shame I dont know anybody who has any of these foreign seats so I could get it out of my system. Its like car seat fever or something :whistle:

Im also not concerned at all about insurance coverage, or tickets. Those are minor to me.

canadiangie

Thats true, good point. Canada is finally making some great headway, and we need people to purchase those new higher rf'ing limit seats so mrf'ers know there is a market for them and keep them coming!

I suppose I'm also just bored with my seat, its been 2 years since I've had a MA. I want to play with something new and exciting, lol. Its a shame I dont know anybody who has any of these foreign seats so I could get it out of my system. Its like car seat fever or something :whistle:

Im also not concerned at all about insurance coverage, or tickets. Those are minor to me.

Yes, you might be.

Say you're hit by an intoxicated driver. Your child is injured. You put a claim in for damages (essentially sueing the other party's insurance company). You're told that because you chose to use an illegal seat your case is either null/void, or you're forced to settle for a smaller amount of compensation. Things get really complicated, really fast. You'd probably care. :twocents:

Adventuredad

Same rules apply in Canada as in US, it's perfectly legal to import a seat but technically illegal to use it. This has been confirmed with Canada Transportation and customs, both via email and personal conversations.

If you order a car seat, or some other good, and don't receive it you obviously don't pay anything.

We can all speculate about insurance , personally I would love to see the insurance company denying a claim due to using a foreign seat even though the child was traveling in a far safer way than otherwise possible. It would not be a good idea to get half the parents in the country against you.....

What police might do i don't know although I think a hug is more likely that a fine. Those my experiences with using Swedish seats in US.

Children do get injured and even die while riding rear facing, it's just rare.

Multi Tech and Hi-Way are quite different seats. HW is popular in Sweden due to being lightweight, needing relatively little space and fitting virtually every vehicle. It's approved rear facing 0-55 lbs, most people use an infant seat first and switch at around 3-7 months. Seat shell is 57 cm, 22.5 inches, which is "standard" height. Since seats can be used until tip of ears are at top of seat shell that means rear facing to 4+ for most kids.

MT is approved RF 20-55 lbs and that means 20 lbs. It's a larger and heavier seat but still need surprisingly little space (a little more than HW). Sat shell is expandable and almost 3 inches taller than HW which means RF to 5+ is usually no problem. Both seats install the same way with seat belt lockoffs, support leg and two simple tether straps which are anchored into any solid point under seat.

MT is approved FF to 55 lbs with seat belt and 40 lbs with harness. Most kids can use this seat from 8 months to 8 years.

Angle of both seats can be adjusted although HW is more flexible in this area.

Most popular seats outside Sweden are Britax Two-Way and Britax Multi Tech for the long rear facing time.

Like posters above are saying I think it's important parents feel comfortable about safety decisions for their children so considering all options is always a good idea.

Have a nice weekend!

outnumberedby6

i just wanted to say that i contacted my insurance agent "i have allstate" and asked him if coverage would be denied. he said absolutely not. however he didnt think they would be able to replace it. he told me to keep receipts from one of my other seats like my MA and use that worse case scenerio. odvously not near same cost but......

i am in the US i have no idea if it is the same in CANADA

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC