new seat for small 5yo

marcymc

Thanks in advance for reading my rambling post :eek:

My older dd turned 5 in May. She's 35 pounds. I don't know her torso height, but she's JUST outgrowing the original Triumph. She rides in a MA in my car. She rarely rides in DHs car, but I like to have the option. So, I need 1 carseat now (to replace her Triumph) and another in a few months. I will probably pass down the MA to my younger dd when her Triumph expires next March.

I was thinking of getting a Nautilus for her- Rachel, Mariposa, or Daisy. I've only seen Mariposa in person- how do the other covers compare?

Would you suggest another seat?

Also, I'd like a spare seat in my mom's car, too. She may pick her up from school (only 2-3 blocks away) one day a week. I was considering an Apex, but they aren't too much cheaper than a Nautilus. Would anyone consider booster training? As much as it would be easier, I think she's just too small. She is safety conscious and I'm confident she would sit right.

ETA: DH drives a 2-door 99 Civic with the belts forward of the bite. Does anyone know if the Nautilus installs with that?

Thanks for any advice!

ADS

jujumum

I'd recommend at $99 True Fit from woot - today only.:) My dd is nearly 35lbs and 42" tall and has tons of growing room, and at that price it is a steal.:)

marcymc

That's probably the most practical seat to buy right now. I had my heart set on a Nautilus since she'll be harnessed for a few more years and I think it looks more like a "big kid" seat. But that's my hang up, not hers :eek:

ZephyrBlue

I wouldn't put my 35lber in a booster full-time. My DD is 6years, 8mos old and 35lbs. She rides in a Malibu Radian XT, with a Recaro Como for backup. I did buy a booster for her, for emergencies like grandma having to drive her if I go into labor unexpectedly, etc. but under 40lbs, you really do run the risk of submarining underneath the seatbelt in a booster.

The Nautilus or TF would be a great choice. The Nauti is nice because of the cupholders and cubby holes, but the crotch strap depth was short in comparison to the TF, IME with my DS.

marcymc

I wasn't clear in my rambling e-mail. The booster would only be a possibility for my mom's car. She will be harness for a few more years. My mom may pick up dd from school occasionally (only a possibility 1 day a week.) It would be easier to just have a booster, instead of my mom having to install a carseat (I don't even think I would trust her to do that.) The school is so close, they would walk most of the time anyway. I don't think I'm going to buy a booster. I just need to decide weather or not to buy a HWH seat for her car.

Maybe I'll by the TF now, since its such a great deal. Then buy the Nauti in a few months and make that her primary seat. I know she'll complain about the brown TF after her girly MA :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC