Need to install a seat in gramma's truck

dragonfly8

I currently have a 3.5 year old FF in a radian and a 17 month old RF in a true fit. Both boys are going to the lake with gramma and papa tomorrow, and I need to put one of my seats into their truck. They have an AO FF in their truck for my 3.5 year old already (it's nearing expiry, so I don't want to put my babe in that one). THey drive a 2008 or 2009 (can't remember which) Dodge Ram.....I don't know alot about it but it has 4 doors and a huge back seat. I am also assuming it has Latch.
Am I better to put my 17 month (27.5lbs, just weighed today with clothes on) RF center position in the radian and my 3 year old FF in the AO behind the passenger? Papa (driver) is over 6ft tall so the seat is all the way back. Or, would the TF fit RF in the middle position? It's a considerably wide seat. Will either of these fit in the truck RFing? Or, is it okay (and I really do not want to have to do this) to put 17 month FF in either the radian or the TF in the FF middle? Is latch easy to use? I am not sure where the middle tether hook is which is another reason I'd prefer to install the seat RFing............
Any thoughts or ideas?
Oh, and I forgot to ask, if I am using the latch system, do I also need to use the seat belt? Is one of the two seats easier than the other for installing using latch?

Last edited:
ADS

dogmelissa

Sorry I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer one: if you're using LATCH (LUAS or just UAS in Canada), you don't need to use a seatbelt. However you'd need to check with the specific vehicle because some don't allow middle-seat installs using the LUAS (only the outboard seats can) so you may have to install the middle seat with the seatbelt and the outboard seat with the LUAS.
If you can get a good tight fit with the LUAS (depends on car seat & vehicle) that's often easier, but if you're more comfortable or able, a seat belt install is just as safe, as long as it's tight.
Oh, and the LUAS is standard (required by Transport Canada) in all vehicles (passenger cars, SUVs, light trucks) if they were manufactured on or after September 2001, so Gramma's truck will have them - it's just a matter of middle seat or not.

You do need to use the top tether for any FF seats. I'm not sure if this thread will help as it refers to a 2006, but it might: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=55311 (search for Dodge).

Sorry I can't answer the rest - I'm sure someone can!

Good luck!
Melissa

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What strap setting is the 3 year old on in the AOE? I'm not sure if you are aware, but the top setting is for booster mode only--the top usable harness setting is the second-to-top one.

dragonfly8

What strap setting is the 3 year old on in the AOE? I'm not sure if you are aware, but the top setting is for booster mode only--the top usable harness setting is the second-to-top one.

I am aware of the top setting being for booster mode only, he is on the top harnassed allowable slot........but in the next few months will be too tall for that slot and at that point we'll likely retire the seat.

THanks for pointing that out though, I wasn't actually aware of it until I had read it here quite some time ago, thank goodness we weren't using it incorrectly!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC