Looking for a natural spray to . . .

Jewels

Senior Community Member
clean the toys in our Church nursery after being played with. They do get washed, but not enough for my liking, so I wanted something the toys could just get sprayed with that would could germs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Not "natural" but 1 TBSP of bleach in a spray bottle of water is used in a lot of places.

Or you could put tea-tree oil in the water and shake it up and use that.
Grapefruit seed extract would work too, but it is horribly bitter.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Not "natural" but 1 TBSP of bleach in a spray bottle of water is used in a lot of places.

Ditto - just know you need to make the bleach solution FRESH every day. It still smells, but the disinfectant ability is gone (at least that's what the MA state agency told us several years ago).

The ration is 1:10 for bleach to water (for any quantity).

Happy disinfecting.

Lea_Ontario

Ditto - just know you need to make the bleach solution FRESH every day. It still smells, but the disinfectant ability is gone (at least that's what the MA state agency told us several years ago).

The ration is 1:10 for bleach to water (for any quantity).

Happy disinfecting.

True - chlorine evaporates in approximately 24 hours at room temperature.

I have used Tea Tree Oil (about 10-12 drops in an 8-oz. spray bottle with boiled, cooled water), although I have no facts to give you on its effectiveness. Somewhere on the internet, I'm sure they exist. ;)

I also used to run toys through the dishwasher on a no-heat-dry cycle.

mak101376

I have seen hydrogen peroxide recommended a few places. It is very safe since it breaks down into oxygen and water.

skaterbabs

My church uses a disinfectant called "Basic G" - not sure what it is in it or where you'd get it, but it doesn't have that horrid chemical odor.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm a distributor for Young Living Oils -- they have a cleaning spray called "Thieves" that has been tested by a university to kill 99.9% of germs just like bleach ... but it's made with clove essential oil + other antibacterial/antifungal/antiseptic/deodorizing natural ingredients (such as Teatree) & is safe enough to use on teething infants' toys :) It's expensive & I have read some weird stuff about the owner, but the product is good -- it's the only item from the company that I use because it's more cost effective & easier for me than buying the ingredients separate at the local green market :eek: It also smells really really good! I think the concentrate 20 oz. bottle wholesale price is about $30 + shipping :confused:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If I were you, I would use something like Papooses recommended or this http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f=ps.productDetail&pid=361&pType=1&sCatId=1216. I'm a Melaleuca customer and have been for a couple years & am very very happy with the products and the company. I would never use bleach - despite the fact that it is so common, it is very toxic and caustic. Tea Tree Oil (aka Melaleuca oil) is also a good disinfectant, although it isn't considered 'hospital grade'.

Lilsid

Try a heated steamer its just water heated high enough to kill germs, and its 100% non-toxic. I have a household steamer and I love it I use it on everything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC