Should I get them checked??

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
While I was gathering info on scheduling my class, I found out there are 3 certified techs (all firemen) in the neighboring town, about 20mi away. There are none in my town...I'll be it! :D Anywho...I was thinking it would be interesting to get my seats checked before I take my class, for 2 reasons. #1, they've never been checked by a tech, although I'm confident they won't find any mistakes (don't want to be over confident though, kwim?). And #2, I want to see how current the techs are with what they know, especially since I have a vehicle full of seats, most of which are Britax. I KNOW they've never encountered a vehicle like mine! LOL I've heard some scary things about some so called techs that give out bad info...and I wonder what's being told in my area.

I'd like to do it while I have all my daycare kids, so they can see the seats in action...but not sure I want to manage all the kids outside the vehicle if they should want to uninstall any of the seats.

What could I expect them to do if I showed up with all my seats and my crew??

ADS

skipspin

They might all be "too busy!" LOL. I would be excited if you called me to check your seats!

I never had my seats checked before I was a tech, but looking back I probably would have just to see what they would have said. I have called a few of the Sheriff's techs recently just to find out if they have free/discout seats and when they do checks to refer people if I ever need to, but I've never gotten a call back. :-(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Another question...when I looked up Safe Kids Oklahoma, it lists techs my county. However, when I go to Safe Kids Worldwide, and do a search...the techs listed on Safe Kids Oklahoma do NOT show up on the other list. And the same for reverse. Should I 'assume' the list on the Safe Kids Worldwide would be current??

And...the class I signed up for is being held at EMSA and cost $60. I found another course being put on at Safe Kids Tulsa (at the hospital) and it's $110. Why the huge price difference??? They are both Safe Kids sponsored and NHTSA (hope that's right) classes.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
What could I expect them to do if I showed up with all my seats and my crew??

Depending on the techs, you'll either make their day, or they will pass out from shock or exhaustion over dealing with so many seats in a single check. ;) I think you should see if you can set up a check with them to get acquainted with techs who may be working seat check events with you and to test the waters so to speak. Let us know how it goes. :)

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Unless it changed recently, SafeKids (nationally) charges $60 for the course. The sponsoring organization sometimes charges additional amounts to cover their costs. I think that my class was close to $250, which included paying the instructors, lunch and some other misc costs that the local organization needed to cover.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Unless it changed recently, SafeKids (nationally) charges $60 for the course. The sponsoring organization sometimes charges additional amounts to cover their costs. I think that my class was close to $250, which included paying the instructors, lunch and some other misc costs that the local organization needed to cover.

OMG!! So how do I know if there will be additional costs??? Or is the $60 I paid when I signed up all that will be?

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Was there contact information for the lead instructor? I'd contact that person and just double check.

It's possible that the sponsoring organization had a grant to cover costs too.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'd say the $60 is it.

Did the form say anything about meals being "brown bag" or provided?

As far has having your seats checked, I won't go if I couldn't bring at least another person to hang out and "entertain" the kids. You want to be able to watch and listen to the techs, not the kids.

Also might want to check ahead on what the procedure is and warn them. We've had people make one appointment at a check up event and then show up with 3+ seats. There's a big time commitment difference between one seat and several. Also, around here the firefighters or state patrol will check seats, however, if they get a call, they're outta there! What a bummer if they haven't finished or leave you with a bunch of uninstalled seats!

Good luck at your class.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Was there contact information for the lead instructor? I'd contact that person and just double check.

It's possible that the sponsoring organization had a grant to cover costs too.

I just emailed her. There is no extra cost! :D She seems really nice, and I'm looking forward to working with her. Lunch is on us, as I expected...either brown bag and eat there, or go out with other students.

skipspin

As far as fees:

My class was $60. Any other fees were covered my AAA and/or VW Audi because they co-sponsored the class. As a SAHM, I was really happy, because that included four take-out lunches as well. Panera, Chick-fil-A, mexican and something else that I can't remember. They also provided water, coffee, several canned drinks, some granola bar type snacks and candy. My instructors always did delivery or one would go pickup to keep us all there and class got out on time or early that way.

There is another class in my area soon that is $60 with an additional $30 local fee because it isn't sponsored by anyone AFAIK. But, the fees were mentioned up front, so that's what I would expect.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I wish I could find a reasonably priced class! The two that I have seen in our nearby city cost $60 for the SafeKids fee plus a $175 local fee! yikes! Thats the only reason I haven't taken one yet!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC