Wendy: Shanghai Info for you

mamato2

OK, got an e-mail from Carol yesterday. Here is what she had to say...
She has never seen any seat belts in the back seats of any taxis. Some expats claim that 'Da Zhong' (a taxi co.) cars have seat belts but she and her husband have not experienced that. She suggests that you hire a driver and car (most big hotels can arrange this) and then the car would be 'modern and western enough to have seat belts at each seat'.
To find 'untypical tourist activities' go to www.shanghaiexpat.com
She recommends the Science and Technology Museum
http://www.sstm.org.cn/english/index.htm
Near/Beneath? is a market for shopping (read:haggling) for various goods and Chinese fabric.
She closes by saying that January is terribly cold and the cold/damp seeps through even the thickest of coats. Bring WARM CLOTHING! Anti-bacterial wipes are a suggestion too but I bet you already thought of that!!! :D
C.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you!!

I've thought of hiring a car, that's possible. I'm still not enamored with the idea of leaving her seat in a car while we have dinner or something, though.

Da Zhong I believe is the major taxi company. Pretty sure on that. Frommer's says to take them and no one else, if you can.

Piper and I have winter jackets, and we'll be wearing those. I'm also going to bring a little bottle of hand sanitizer.

Thanks for the expat site! I'm going to check it out now.

Thanks!

Wendy

lovinwaves

Hey Wendy, I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgot about you. I sent my SIL an email (the one who teaches English in China). I guess it is kind of hit and miss on when she can check it, or if the internet is even up in running over there. So as soon as I hear something from her I will let you know :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey Wendy, I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgot about you. I sent my SIL an email (the one who teaches English in China). I guess it is kind of hit and miss on when she can check it, or if the internet is even up in running over there. So as soon as I hear something from her I will let you know :)

No problem!! We're not leaving for 17 days, so there's tons of time.

Yay, 17 days!!! Well, 16 and 9 hours until we're in seats 16A and 16B on our way to Chicago. :)

Wendy

lovinwaves

Hi Wendy, ok I finally got an email from my wonderful SIL. I am just going to copy and paste the whole email for you. If you have anymore questions for her, please let me know. I am going to be sending her another email regarding a baby sling. Thanks Melissa

Hi Melissa!

Happy New Year! Yes, I'm doing fine and am planning to return to the States soon (end of January, beginning of February). I'm so glad to hear that the kids are doing fine and growing big and bringing you joy.

I have to make this e-mail quick (my apologies) as I have a TON of things to do before I leave as I'm leaving China very soon to visit other countries on my back to the States. Let's plan on getting together for lunch or something when I get back so we can catch up, k?

Let me take some time to address your questions....

1. Shanghai... Shanghai is a little like New York... very modern and up-to-date in many ways but much, much safer. The cars (cabs included) are mostly the same you see in the states with exactly the same seatbelts, etc so there should be no problem there. China has a seatbelt law now but alot of people ignore them. If she hails a cab that is not up to her standards, then she can simply wave it on and get the next one. I think she will be satisfied, though. Transportation is alot like the states... there are cabs at airports to take you to hotels and at hotels to take you places (though I recommend doing alot of exploring on foot). The hotel will have a business card they can give her so she can take with her. Lots of people know some English but language will be a barrier. If she ever gets lost, she just needs to hail a cab and show the drive the card and he will take her back "home", safe and sound. DON'T LOSE THE CARD! *smile Buses are everywhere but you have to know the route you want, of course. Sometimes I just hop a bus to see where it goes, explore that new area and catch a cab home if I get turned around.

One word of advice to her. China is very, very safe---some say the safest country in the world, especially for foreigners. The only problem she might encounter is someone who wants to rip her off by charging her too much (Chinese people think all foreigners are rich) or someone who may try to steal her money from her purse or pocket--though this is rare. The only time a cab driver ever tried to rip me off was in Shanghai. Cabs have meters but ASK ahead of time how much it will cost. He will point to the meter if there is not a standard price. You can negotiate for long trips. The "bad" taxi driver we got in Shanghai stopped half way from the airport to our hotel and refused to move unless we gave him 200 RMB. We refused to get out of the cab and he HAD to take us to the hotel. We reported him to the concierge as he was unloading our bags, and the concierge (who spoke English) and some other guys went over to him and YELLED at him! It was fun to watch. If she gets in a pinch, be LOUD, STERN and get help from others. Foreigners are treated like rock stars in most places in China. Not so much anymore in Shanghai because there are alot of foreigners there now and they are used to us. As I said, I've been in China about 3 years and rode tons of cabs... this was my only bad encounter. Most people are extremely nice. Your friend may want to learn a few Chinese phrases before she goes... like "Ting boo dong" which means "I don't understand". It was my favorite phrase before I spoke Chinese. *smile

As far as getting ripped off.... tell her she can bargain for ANYTHING, even hotel prices, except in fancy shopping malls and then sometimes then give a "discount". She can ask for the cheapest price *wink *wink It's best to buy from "mom and pop" stores for the best deals. If she's shopping for souvenirs or any item other than standards like food, drink, etc... they usually more than double the starting price for foreigners (they think we can afford it... and we can, but that's not the point). Even if there is a price tag on it, the price can go down, trust me. Tell her to low-ball and be stubborn. Tell her to frown and keep shaking her head and look concerned (like she KNOWS she's being hood-winked). They use a calculator to show a price.... she will just need to key in the price she wants to pay. They may yell a bit (it's how they do business and it is harmless... they're not really mad... it's an act) and be prepared to walk away. If the person REALLY wants to sell, the price will drop to a reasonable level as soon as you walk. She can always go back or find another vender/store and they know it. I have alot of fun bargaining (I'm quite an actress now) and I hope she does too! Tell her if she likes to shop, to save LOTS of room in her luggage to bring stuff home.

2. Baby slings... Yes, just about every parent in my town (which is a mix of rural and rich) uses baby slings. I tried to find a picture of the kind in my area on the internet but it keeps timing out during the search. I found one similar (only the fabric is different) and have attached a file with the image. I can certainly buy one or two for you (I see kids as old as 4-5 in them as you can see in the second picture) The pattern used in my area is very busy... dark colors of black, red, blue, dark pink, etc in a pattern similar to what I call grandma quilts... lots of triangles and squares. I was going to buy one for Jessica and her new baby so it's no trouble to pick up more. Just let me know how many and what kind of fabric you like (I can have one custom-made for you in a snap). Maybe you like solids, geometrics, florals, stripes, pastels, primary colors, etc. If you'd like a traditional Chinese one I'll try to pick a few of different patterns so you have a choice. There is also the "basket variety" if you like. I already picked up a few small things for the kids so this will be a nice a addition!

Whew! I said this would be a quick e-mail and I just kept going! Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to e-mail me back if you want me to pick up anything else or if I missed anything. I have a few days before I leave. I look forward to seeing you all again!

Love from China,
Bridget

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you so much!! I've heard a lot about the bargaining, but not how it happened. I know my numbers in Chinese, though, so I'm looking forward to bargaining in Chinese. :)

I'm glad to hear that about the cabs. And about how safe it is. I've read that, but to hear it from someone who is living there about how it really is is great.

I'm really really looking forward to this. Except for the very very short 35 minute layover in Chicago on the way there (miss that flight and we arrive a day late).

Thank her for me please! Xie Xie!

Wendy

Morganthe

Hmmm, after reading that long post, it jogged an old memories.

I wonder if China has the same phobic tradition as Korea. I know Mexico did after one experience...
Anyway, it is EXTREMELY bad luck for the merchant to have the 1st customer and the last customer of the day to not buy anything after looking in a store. It's serious and a merchant will bargain down to any price to make that sale. Supposedly it sets the tone for the day in the morning and closes the day on a very sour note that might last into the next day.

At Cheju Island, I ended up with a deep colored amethyst pair of earings that would have been over $100 in the US for just under $20 because we were at our last stop in the early morning before the airport. It wasn't a ploy on my part, I was really out of money. :(

The one trip I took down to Juarez, Mexico from Alamogordo, dh & I happened to be the first visitors after opening to visit a store that had textiles, the merchant actually chased me down in the street after I left suddenly without buying anything. He had quoted me $25 for a pair of blankets. It was more than I wanted to pay for them and I just walked out, uninterested. He raced out with both of them in his hands and was desperate for me to make an offer. I think I paid about $8, thinking they were the cheap typical style that was everywhere in the area. Turned out they were separately knotted and very well made. I still have and use them today. I'm kind of embarrassed, but I really didn't care about the purchase. Hubby thinks I'm hard core for that sale. :rolleyes:

While I lived in Korea, if there was something I really wanted at a lower price, I'd make a note to visit the place right when it opened. The traditional phobia greatly helped the budget of a very poor wee airman :p

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Huh. Something to keep in mind. :) :) :) I may make a note of the stores that I want to go to, what time they open and close.

Stupidly enough one of the stores I'm most excited about is TRU. They *just* opened last month, very first store in mainland China, happens to be in Shanghai, happens to be in the same district as our hotel, just one metro stop up. I want to see what they charge, what things are different, and of course, what carseats they have. :)

Wendy

mamato2

When we were in Hangzhou 4 years ago we went to a really nice department store. We intended to go back a second time and pick some things up but we never made it back. :( What I found that I really wanted was a Play Doh kit that made sushi!! It was the cutest little set and I bet it cost next to nothing but .... I wasn't thinking. We also wish we'd bought a toy that was very much like a Leap Pad, and was intended to be used to teach kids English. Of course we wanted to use it to teach our kids Chinese. Didn't get that either.
Plan to buy an inexpensive suit case to bring back all you buy while there!!
C.
ps I find it interesting that two women who live in Shanghai would have such different advice about taxis and seat belts!!! I'm hoping you find as many belts as you need. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When we were in Hangzhou 4 years ago we went to a really nice department store. We intended to go back a second time and pick some things up but we never made it back. :( What I found that I really wanted was a Play Doh kit that made sushi!! It was the cutest little set and I bet it cost next to nothing but .... I wasn't thinking. We also wish we'd bought a toy that was very much like a Leap Pad, and was intended to be used to teach kids English. Of course we wanted to use it to teach our kids Chinese. Didn't get that either.
Plan to buy an inexpensive suit case to bring back all you buy while there!!
C.
ps I find it interesting that two women who live in Shanghai would have such different advice about taxis and seat belts!!! I'm hoping you find as many belts as you need. :)

A lady on my online playgroup board used to be a flight attendant and she said they used to buy things they called "body bags" in Asia. They're about $5 bags and you can literally stick a person in them. Buy them, fill them, and check them home. LOL

What's the name of the store? Piper and I are going to Hangzhou for a day. I'm sure she'd love a play doh kit. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC