Need Convertible Seat for Coupe

Hi Everyone! Im looking for advice on which convertible carseat would be good for my two door since I can't afford to get a new vehicle. My baby is 4 months old and weighs 15.7 lbs and is 25 inches long. I plan on extended rear facing him and am looking for something def. under $200 but might consider something around the $250 range (mayyybe) I would really appreciate any feedback or help!

thank you :D

Last edited:
ADS
could you tell us the model/year of the car? someone might have experience with installing in the same type of car.
I've heard that the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YBK0H8"]Compass TrueFit[/ame] is worth trying in small cars, because the headrest can be removed when the seat is rear facing so it can fit in tighter spaces. It's also recommended for having height and weight limits comparable to the big Britax seats, built in lockoffs that make seat belt installations easier, and retails for under $200

momofmandp

I just wanted to point out that the headrest on the True Fit can only be removed if baby is less than 20 lbs. After 20 lbs, the headrest must be used whether it's for forward facing or rear facing. So, in your case, you could use a True Fit without the headrest until your baby reaches 20 lbs, but then have to put it on after. By then though, your baby will have enough head control to install the seat more upright, so it won't necessarily take up more space. I have a True Fit Premiere and I love it. It has a nice and tall shell so it will last a long time rear facing for my skinny kid. But if you have a heavier and/or stockier child, you might want to consider one of the seats that rear face to 40 lbs such as the Graco My Ride, Sunshine Kids Radian or Safety 1st Complete Air. If you have a small backseat area though, you might have trouble with a Radian rear facing as it takes up a lot of front to back space. In general though, with most convertibles, it takes about the same amount of space front to back as an infant seat since you can install them much more upright once baby gets older.

Anne

I have a 2 door cavalier and we have a True Fit rear facing behind the passenger seat. It fit great before we had to put the headrest on. Once we had to put the headrest on, we had to move the front seat up. It's quite a tight fit in the front seat now. (The headrest is needed at 22 lbs,though, not 20, but DD needed it height-wise first). We may be able to make it more upright, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's gotta be pretty close to 35 degrees already. It's not a dealbreaker though for us to not have the front seat be very usable. I generally sit in back with her anyway if we're all out. I'm thinking of trying her out in the center and seeing how that fits.

U

Unregistered

im also looking for the same thonh although my baby is already 10 months old and i been using a regular car seat in my 06 honda civic i dont really drive to much with her in the car just to pick her up from her granma and drop her off is not to bad but is not to comfortable either the only thing i can say about the seat is the brand evenflo ,now i was looking at the new evenflo generation 65 booster it seems pretty good and no bad reviews $100 .
good luck let us now what you find ,and how good is it

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you're considering a Generations 65 for your 10 month old, your baby would need to transition to a rear facing convertible seat in order to remain rear facing at this stage, and ideally remain rear facing for a long time for optimal safety. The Generations 65 is a forward facing only carseat and not appropriate safety wise for such a little one. The AAP and child passenger safety advocates strongly encourage rear facing up to the maximum rear facing capacity of a convertible carseat because it provides significantly more protection for the still developing spinal column and superior protection from head and neck injuries compared to forward facing. Rear facing also provides more protection in side impact crashes. You can learn more details about the safety benefits of rear facing and view crash test videos illustrating rear facing compared to forward facing at http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

There are a plethora of convertible carseat models available that can allow a child to rear face for optimal safety up to 35 or even 40 or 45 lbs., or until the convertible carseat is outgrown by height rear facing when there's less than 1 inch of carseat shell above the top of the child's head, whichever comes first. Please feel free to post back for more input on convertible carseats if you like, perhaps by starting a new thread of your own that includes your child's height and weight. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC