WWYD- sort of special needs related

jess71903

Ambassador
Another WWYD from me.
To read about our special needs issue, check out this thread.
I just assumed that my SS1 would not, could not fit next to my True Fit for #2 due in Jan. It is currently loaned out to someone who would have used a thrift store seat for her kiddo, and she let me try it last night, just so I could prove to myself that it wouldn't work, and I could go ahead and order a Radian for DS. Well, it fit. Even with the TF installed with LATCH it fit. So last night I was trying to decide what to do- buy a new Radian for DS who needs to RF as long as possible, or get the SS1 back and use it until DS was nearing the 35lb limit on the TF, or baby began to outgrow the SS1....or just until I wanted to buy a new seat.

So here's my delima. Do I just get the SS1 back and use it for a while. Pro: I don't have to buy anything new. Money saved = happy DH. Cons- the mom that has my SS1 is left to get a new convertible and who knows what she'll end up with.

Do I get a Radian 65 now, as my plan was originally, and put #2 in the TF? Pros- R65 is narrower and I get a new seats :)D). Cons- have to shell out the money now when I have a perfectly good infant seat.

Do I want a couple of months and get a Radian XT since they now RF to 45lbs. Pros- 45lbs, probably the last harnessed seat DS would need. Cons- costs more, and again, not using perfectly good infant seat.

I also don't know if the XT will be worth it for us for 5 more lbs...who knows how long height-wise DS would have. WEight-wise, it'd get him to around age 5 (if he stays on his growth curve) and he will grow about 10 more inches total, assuming his spina bifida doesn't affect his growth that much. Either way, it would affect leg growth more than torso growth anyway.

Sorry if this is a rambling...that's how I feel! WWYD??

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do I want a couple of months and get a Radian XT since they now RF to 45lbs. Pros- 45lbs, probably the last harnessed seat DS would need. Cons- costs more, and again, not using perfectly good infant seat.

Oy. So it begins. The XT rear faces to 40 pounds. It does not, and has never, rear faced to 45 pounds. Russ, a person who has shown himself to be unreliable with his comments, commented that they're working on a 45 pound rear facing seat, and it would be the NEW XTs, whenever that is. Some time between six months from now perhaps, and never. I wouldn't hold my breath on a 45 pound XT. The 40 pound Radians were promised to us for years before they hit the markets.

This was one person mentioning it on a list that Russ had mentioned it at KIM. That's it. Rumor and hearsay. Amazing how quickly it spread as that email only hit my box last night, and here it is on c-s.org as fact.

Anyway, just annoyed by this stupid rumor.

As for what to do, since you ok'ed letting your friend borrow your seat I'd feel like a heel if I asked for it back leaving her with nothing. So I'd leave out the option of just taking back the SS1. However, it's cheaper to buy her a Scenera and trade her back than to buy a Radian.

I'd look at a Radian or a Complete Air. Since the Radian is cheaper and your DH isn't fully on board, I'd look for sales on the Radian and get one at a good price. Remind your DH that they have an eight year lifespan and so while you may be paying $200, that's only $2.08 a month for use, and it's about as tall as you can get with a 40 pound limit. The Complete Air is maybe a bit taller, but it loses out on a 65 pound limit forward facing, it's more expensive, and it has a six year lifespan (which isn't bad, just not as easy to convince your DH for it).

Then I'd try to get a Swedish seat for you. :) I think in your situation it's exactly what you need. A Swedish seat would get you to probably seven or so.

Wendy

Pixels

Oy. So it begins.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=96691 I think it's a bit more than just a rumor at this point.

I don't know what transpired when you loaned out your seat. Personally, I would only loan out a seat with the understanding that if/when I want it back, I get it back. After all, it's mine, and the other person is borrowing it for free. I would not feel bad at all about asking for my property back. I would give as much heads-up as possible so that the other party has time to make other arrangements.

How much height room does he have in the TF? Ten inches of overall growth is about three to five inches of torso growth. If you get your SS1 back, that gives you more time to watch your son's growth and make a decision about a second convertible seat.

jess71903

Ambassador
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=96691 I think it's a bit more than just a rumor at this point.

I don't know what transpired when you loaned out your seat. Personally, I would only loan out a seat with the understanding that if/when I want it back, I get it back. After all, it's mine, and the other person is borrowing it for free. I would not feel bad at all about asking for my property back. I would give as much heads-up as possible so that the other party has time to make other arrangements.

How much height room does he have in the TF? Ten inches of overall growth is about three to five inches of torso growth. If you get your SS1 back, that gives you more time to watch your son's growth and make a decision about a second convertible seat.

That's the thread I was basing my post on. I trust that Judi has reliable info.

My friend's baby will be right at a year old when my baby gets here, so it's not like she wouldn't get use out of it. She has offered it back to me repeatedly. My problem with taking it back from her is not that I feel like I would be yanking back something I promised to her, but more because I think her son would still fit, and there's no telling what she'll have next for him. Her last child (now 4) was in a borrowed yard sale seat. I think another of our friends might have a still-good AOE that she can borrow for him, though. I will investigate that further.

How tall is the headrest on the TF? He is just at or maybe a little over the line between the main shell and the headrest. I would guess 6 inches or so.

jess71903

Ambassador
Just thought I'd update. I sent my friend the Woot.com link and she actually ordered teh $99 True Fit!!! I was shocked and so happy! So, that makes my decision much easier. I'm just going to get the infant seat back when the TF gets here and use it for a while anyway. I may try to find a girly cover ;).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC