Fun at BRU today

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I had to go and buy the Snugride for my SIL's baby shower this weekend. So of course Piper and I played. She fits GREAT in the Parkway. *sniff sniff* She wanted it. Though she was so confused about how to get in there. She kept trying to put her arms through the seatbelt like she does through her harness. LOL I tried her in the Marathon and Boulevard, and she had a lot less room in the Boulevard, but more than she has in the Wizard. The Marathon's top slots were just around her ears. I didn't realize the difference was so great between the Marathon and Wizard/Boulevard. Oh well. I've been thrilled with the Wizards and if I'm going to spend another $250 then it's going to be a Regent. They didn't have any Regents in stock, though.

I also sat her in an Apex 65. It had high slots!!! They were up nearly to the top of her ears. It had the brown cover. Piper liked it too.

While I was there I talked to a couple who were registering for their baby. I just couldn't stop myself when I heard, "I guess we need one of these headrest things." I'm off and running!!! They ended up registering for the Boulevard as well as whatever the ended up doing for an infant seat. They were put off by the inital price, but when I told them about how long it'll last, and how they won't have to buy two seats in the meantime (unless you're like me and want to harness your child until their driver's test) and they saw that logic immediately. An employee came over and interrupted us before I could go on about how the Safeseat is a higher weight infant seat and if they're concerned about only getting five months of use out of an infant seat they could try that (they were talking about how little time they would use the infant seat). Oh well.

That same employee came over while we were playing when he was done helping the couple. When I told him we were just playing he said, "I don't know if you know, but.." and I admit I was rude and interrupted a bit and said, "I guarantee I do." He told me about the 48 pound limit on LATCH. One for him!!! I said it also depended on the car as Honda only goes to 40 and Subaru to 60. He didn't know about Subaru. One for me. :) He was actually excited to meet me, not threatened at all, and asked for as many business cards as I had on me so that he could hand them out to people. Sweet!!!! It was a fun stop. I was excited Piper fit well in the Parkway, even though I'm not terribly excited about putting her in one at all. When I asked her if she should push the red button while the car is moving she nodded. So no booster for a while for her! Course, she can undo her harness easily and doesn't, and she yells at us for unbuckling, but I'd rather keep her harnessed. She's about to have a growth spurt, so hopefully we're not in a rush to get a new seat.

Anyway, I was happy. Sunday is my SIL's baby shower, and I'm just going to go and install the seat for her. I don't trust her to do it properly, and my BIL is legally blind. I'll show her how to do the seat, and hopefully get her in there, eight months pregnant and all, but no way in heck am I leaving her to do that herself without education. They're well meaning people, and neither of them is stupid, but we're a bit concerned about their parenting. LOL I should bring a cabbage patch kid with me. She wants to see slings, and that way I can also use the CPK to show her how the harness needs to be on baby Liam.

:)

Wendy

ADS

lovinwaves

Wendy, that's awesome that you were able to help those people, AND you talked them into a BV. I was cracking up a couple of times. Like when you said you were "off and running". ROFL!!

Also, wow PIper is really growing up. So are you guys going to get a Regent?

honeybee03

Good job! Were they going to buy the BLVD right away, or wait until the infant seat was too small so they don't "burn up" their time on the BLVD?

That's too funny. I always go "play" with the carseats too. Though they don't sell Britaxes in my town, or ANY extended harnessing seats for that matter :(

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Hehe! Sounds like a great time!

My last trip to BRU I steered a couple with a 12 month old (newly turned FF) away from the FF-only seats and to the Britax seats and they were so excited about them and about turning their cute dd back RF!

I also ran into another couple who were NOT happy with my advice. Oh well...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wendy, that's awesome that you were able to help those people, AND you talked them into a BV. I was cracking up a couple of times. Like when you said you were "off and running". ROFL!!

Also, wow PIper is really growing up. So are you guys going to get a Regent?

That's the idea. We'll sell her Wizards, which should easily pay for a Regent. Then buy a Parkway for Nathan's car, since she doesn't ride with him as much, and if we were doing a serious trip we'd move the Regent. That way we still have the Radian as a travel seat and spare. Without selling the Wizards it would have been tough to convince Nathan to spend another $350 on a seat and a booster for a four year old. But the Wizards should take care of the cost of the Regent.

Right now we're keeping our eyes open. If I stumbled on a great price for either I'll probably buy it. She's not going to last in the Regent until she's 10, very likely, so if I find one at a great price and it sits for nine months, not a huge deal. Same thing with the Parkway, though she is more likely to need that one for a long time.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hehe! Sounds like a great time!

My last trip to BRU I steered a couple with a 12 month old (newly turned FF) away from the FF-only seats and to the Britax seats and they were so excited about them and about turning their cute dd back RF!

I also ran into another couple who were NOT happy with my advice. Oh well...

YAY!!!!!!! It's so sad that what we say to help is so often taken as a personal attack. That's great that a family turned their little one back!!!!!

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Good job! Were they going to buy the BLVD right away, or wait until the infant seat was too small so they don't "burn up" their time on the BLVD?

That's too funny. I always go "play" with the carseats too. Though they don't sell Britaxes in my town, or ANY extended harnessing seats for that matter :(

They registered for it, so I'm under the impression IF someone buys it for them it'll sit for a few months, if not they'll get it later. That was the other thing I didn't have time to mention. I told them about a six year lifespan, but not that it was from DOM, not day out of the box.

No HWH seats at all? Wow. Our Target carries the Marathon, and BRU had the Marathon, Decathalon, and Boulevard. No Radian or Regent, but USA Baby has those in stock.

Wendy

honeybee03

No HWH seats at all? Wow. Our Target carries the Marathon, and BRU had the Marathon, Decathalon, and Boulevard. No Radian or Regent, but USA Baby has those in stock.

Wendy

Nope. If you want a Britax, you have to go online. I wish they would at least have an Apex (which I figured Walmart would since its a Safety First, which they carry their other products) but no. The most popular one here is the AO. That's what all the techs have.
The sad thing is that I live in a pretty big city. In fact, I believe it is the most populated city in my state (I'm in Fargo, ND)

People don't even know that seats past 40lbs exist. One of my fellow paramedics just put his dd in a booster because she hit 40lbs. She just turned 2 in september. They thought they were doing a good job waiting until she was 40lbs to move her. His wife said "Well, the law is 30lbs, but they recommend 40lbs so we waited". I tried telling them "yes, its weird our state doesn't have any laws about an age requirement. Most states say 40lbs AND 4 years old" But they didnt' catch on......:(
But if that's all they have in the stores here, how would anyone know any different you know? It is kind of a "hick" state, so not everyone has internet and all that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC