LATCH AND Seatbelt /Legs in RF

Jan06twinmom

My BIL was in town this weekend. He made sure his 16 month old DD ff car seat was securely fastened to the car by using the seatbelt through the ff belt path and the LATCH belt through the rear-facing belt path. :eek: He didn't attach the top tether to the car either.

Thankfully BIL was not in an accident with the car seat so attached. DH reinstalled the car seat and showed BIL where it clearly says for "forward-facing only" and "rear-facing only" on the belt paths. We talked about why that wasn't okay, but I'd like to send BIL a link about it. BIL was not willing to turn her back rf, but at least my DN left in a safer car seat.

I'm disappointed that she is not as safe as she can be in her car seat though.

So my questions...

Do you know any good links about why you can't use LATCH and seatbelt at the same time? This is the best I've found so far... http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/f/LATCH_SB.htm. If there is something better, please let me know.

BIL's comment about rf is that DN doesn't have a place to put her feet when she is rf. I mentioned that she is more likely to break her legs in the ff position in an accident. Do you know a place that explains why legroom is not a safety concern? Something that talks about legs breaking in ff accidents would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Melanie

ADS

mommaon112903

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng&feature=PlayList&p=9ABA81E93BBFF9EA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19"]YouTube - rear facing car seat crash test[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE"]YouTube - Forward facing crash test[/ame]

You can see the legs move much more in a FF crash than a RF crash. This is all I have for now, but let me do some more digging and hopefully I will be able to provide you with some links as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC