Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

LATCH AND Seatbelt /Legs in RF

My BIL was in town this weekend. He made sure his 16 month old DD ff car seat was securely fastened to the car by using the seatbelt through the ff belt path and the LATCH belt through the rear-facing belt path. He didn't attach the top tether to the car either.

Thankfully BIL was not in an accident with the car seat so attached. DH reinstalled the car seat and showed BIL where it clearly says for "forward-facing only" and "rear-facing only" on the belt paths. We talked about why that wasn't okay, but I'd like to send BIL a link about it. BIL was not willing to turn her back rf, but at least my DN left in a safer car seat.

I'm disappointed that she is not as safe as she can be in her car seat though.

So my questions...

Do you know any good links about why you can't use LATCH and seatbelt at the same time? This is the best I've found so far... http://babyproducts.about.com/od/car...f/LATCH_SB.htm. If there is something better, please let me know.

BIL's comment about rf is that DN doesn't have a place to put her feet when she is rf. I mentioned that she is more likely to break her legs in the ff position in an accident. Do you know a place that explains why legroom is not a safety concern? Something that talks about legs breaking in ff accidents would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Melanie

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

Re: LATCH AND Seatbelt /Legs in RF

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng&feature=PlayList&p=9ABA81E93BBFF9EA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19"]YouTube - rear facing car seat crash test[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE"]YouTube - Forward facing crash test[/ame]

You can see the legs move much more in a FF crash than a RF crash. This is all I have for now, but let me do some more digging and hopefully I will be able to provide you with some links as well.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY