Disconcerting-- store personnel not up-to-date on safety!

tentoes

Hope this is in the right section..

We were in Baby Love (Tamarac/Ft. Lauderdale, FL) yesterday and the salespeople (whom I thought were very up-to-date in the past, though they know a ton more than Babies R Us) were very blasé about the safety/weights in regard to car seat usage! I heard them tell a mom with an 8 mo. that FF was fine! Then they tried to semi-dissuade me from RF my infant till 2! I thought they were trained! I thought..gah! Then I heard another mom ask the inevitable "..when can I put my child in a booster?" question. They told her-- get this-- they told her it was okay at his age (4!). I couldn't believe my ears! How can they allow people to sell car seats without educating the parent!

Okay, granted I went in there armed with weeks of research, but there is NO excuse for a salesperson (not just this store..) to not educate the parent a least a teeny-tiny bit about current safety-standards!

/rant

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is okay (not great, but okay) to put a child in a booster at age 4, according to current safety standards.

tentoes

It is okay (not great, but okay) to put a child in a booster at age 4, according to current safety standards.

He was a small 4 at that.. Maybe I was coming off a car-seat.org high (I'm still new here and have been inhaling CS.org) so I was super-affected by the salesperson's comment. But they didn't even have a disclaimer (i.e. 4 is okay, but not recommended).

Evolily

Then I heard another mom ask the inevitable "..when can I put my child in a booster?" question. They told her-- get this-- they told her it was okay at his age (4!). I couldn't believe my ears! How can they allow people to sell car seats without educating the parent!

4 and 40 are generally the accepted minimums for booster use (and, you know, I actually *love* when I see a 4 and 40 child in a decent HBB like the turbobooster- much better than outgrown harness seats and 40 lbs combos/3 in 1's in booster mode). It's a minimum, though, and like most minimums should not be applied to all, or even most children if you follow best practice. Saying that 8 month old infants can forward face, though, is misuse and dangerous.

I'm not surprised. They're in the car seat selling business- not the child safety business. I would probably write or call the manager about advising consumers to forward face children before 1 and 20. I wouldn't expect them to be sprouting ERFing and EHing info, though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If he is 30#, he can be in a booster at age 4. Not ideal, but not terrifyingly bad information, like an 8mo forward-facing! That's illegal, against manufacturer recommendations, and against any current recommendations.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
He was a small 4 at that.. Maybe I was coming off a car-seat.org high (I'm still new here and have been inhaling CS.org) so I was super-affected by the salesperson's comment. But they didn't even have a disclaimer (i.e. 4 is okay, but not recommended).

ROFL!!!!! I like that! We need to bottle it and sell it "C-s.org vibes in a jar".

After awhile, you'll learn to balance 'what I know is best' with 'what I see in the real world that is so shockingly wrong' and it won't bug you quite so much :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC