Question about the TF and time in FF mode

Anne

Okay I have a question about the True Fit. Possibly applies to any convertible, but the TF is what I have. It's possible my question could be answered next month when I take the CPST course, but I'm really curious now! :p

I notice that the fourth/top slot is for forward facing only. There seems to be a lot of room from third slot to the top. So it seems to me that by the time I need to turn DD around due to her head coming within an inch of the top, that she will be on that fourth slot (since i'd have to switch to above, rather than below her shoulders) and wouldn't really have much time left before the top slots went below her shoulders. Right now I'm really seeing very little time ff in this seat, though hopefully that point is years away anyway.

So am I picturing this wrong? Will she be too tall rfing long before she'd be about to outgrow the tops slots ffing? Will there still be plenty of growing room after I turn her around?

(BTW, yes I fully expect her to outgrow in height looong before weight. She's 14 months, 31" and last weight check was 19 lbs. So we're not even technically ERF yet) (noticed I have a higher weight for her in my siggy, she lost almost a pound when she got sick and hasn't put it back on)

Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious and making myself look dumb!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yes, actually, your thinking is corrct...in pretty much ANY seat, if you max out the rearfacing capability, there tends to be very little FFing capability left...in some seats, if you max out Rfing, there is actually NO ffing time, because the childs shoulders are already OVER the top slots. However, by that age, usualy 3-5 years old, torso growth is slowed down so much that even an inch of FFing torso left might be a year or use, etc.

Anne

Thank you! Good to know I'm not just missing something entirely! I sat there studying it the other day for 15 minutes because I just couldn't make it work in my head how she would have much if any growing room left after maxing rf.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
a lot depends on proportions, and how they outgrow it, and where the top shell is in relation to teh top slots, whether or not the top slots can be used for rfing, etc, etc, but yes, you are totally correct. In ds's aoe, for example, I can absolutely see him not getting ANY ffing time at all, because if he maxes out the Rfing limit, his shoulders will already be OVER the top slots. I view my aoe as essentially an extended rearfacing seat and nothing more.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd2 is 3.5, 41 inches and 'at' the third slot (second to top). She fits in that slot both FF and RF. The top slot is like1.5-2 inches higher, right? That's a good 18mos-2 years away. My Marathon was the same with DD1, she was in the second to top slot till she had to go FF at 4.5 and 33 pounds, then she still fit in the seat, using the top slot, till she was 6. Here's a pic of dd1 in her TFP http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5360971871301356162 She's really tall and skinny, if your kid is taller and skinnier, you might not have as much time to FF, but I'm expecting her to fit in it till at least age 6.5.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC