One adult traveling with three kids and seats

oxeye

I'm traveling on a plane with all three of my kiddos in two weeks by myself. Fortunately it's less than a 2 hour flight! But I am a little concerned about how to manage all of this in the airport.

I am fine with DD1 using just the lap belt on the airplane but I do need to bring a seat for her for our destination. I need to bring two Radians and the Keyfit in order to ensure being able to do a three across in my sister's car once we get there.

Would you check one of the Radians? I'm am scared of the abuse it might go through that way. I'd much rather fold it up and put it in the overhead bin or just have DD1 use it on the plane rather than check it but am I being paranoid about that? It would be so much easier to check it when we get to the airport and not have to worry about hauling a third seat through the airport.

I can wear one of the Radians on my back and the Keyfit will go in the Maclaren Easy Traveller stroller we have. I know I can manage the two seats. But three?? I'm thinking the only way might be if someone takes pity on the poor mom traveling alone with that many kids! LOL

Will the Radian absolutely no way fit RF on an airplane? If I could use one RF for DS then I could leave the Keyfit at home and use my sister's SS1 when we get there. I am pretty sure I could get the two Radians and the SS1 to work (baseless SS1 worst-case scenario).

Getting there is half the fun right?? :eek:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nope, not gonna fit RF. Sorry. I'd use it on the plane, I am never ever ever going to check or gate-check a seat after what I've seen done to them.

If you had an extra $100, you could use a RSTV. (Or, um, you could maybe borrow one from some here?) That would solve your problem hauling an extra seat...

Or, get a standard car seat bag (but a large one.) I've found I can fit a Radian AND another seat in one. In fact we're travelling with 3 kids in seats in November (at least that's the plan) and we will put one Radian and the Uptown in the bag for my husband to carry, and I'll put backpack straps on the other Radian, because we can fit 2 in one bag. If you have no budget for a RSTV, you could try to find a bag that will fit both Radians. It's going to be heavy, but it might be worth it...

Northriver

Someone here posted that she flew alone with her twins and carried both Radians through the airport. I carry a pretty large backpack over one shoulder and my Radian over the other so although I haven't personally carried two Radians, I can see that it would be doable even if it wasn't comfortable. The Radians are so quick and easy to install on the plane that once you get on you should be fine. Just ask for help if you need it, if you can't fine airline/airport staff hopefully some random stranger will give you a hand!

I'd consider shipping a Radian there and back before I'd consider checking it with the baggage.

ETA: The worst part will be going through security. You'll need to take your baby out of her seat, the seat off the stroller, fold the stroller and put all the seats and the stroller through the xray machine. Not to mention the whole ordeal of the shoes, the qt size ziploc of liquids, and also keeping track of your ID and plane tickets that they require you have in your hand... Seriously, I sometimes play "airport security" with my youngest before we travel. I have her take off her shoes and backpack and put them in the dishpan and practice sliding it along the coffee table, then getting her things out again and putting them on.

oxeye

Thanks for the ideas. My current thought is to use a small foldable luggage cart my DH has for both of the Radians. I'll have to try it out but I bet I can get both seats on it. Then I can pull that and push the stoller/infant seat. Actually, if I can somehow get the Keyfit on there too, I may just forgo the stroller. I sling him 90% of the time anyway so I won't need it for when I get there.

I am pretty sure I am going to sling the baby in the airport. It will definitely make getting through security easier. I'm checking our luggage and only bringing the diaper bag as a carry on. The girls will each have a backpack with stuff to entertain themselves but they can carry those on their own.

Okay, this may actually work!!

Next issue will be where to put each kid once on the plane (Southwest open seating). I figure DS/Keyfit window, DD2/Radian FF middle, and me in the aisle. I was planning to put DD1 in the lapbelt in an aisle seat across from me. If I bring the Radian on the plane I feel like I should use it, but my sister was saying that a flight attendent wouldn't let her put a carseat in the aisle seat because those seats are designed to be broken down in an emergency (carseat would interfere with this). I don't like the idea of having her further away from me. So I may just put the seat in an overhead bin and still have DD1 use the lapbelt if I can't use the car seat in the aisle.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Here's what I would do: small folding luggage cart, LATCH one Radian to the frame. Fold the other, set it inside the first, bungee it on. Then, take the Keyfit, put the handle of it over the handle ot the luggage cart, so it's resting on the stacked Radians. Wear the baby, have the older kids hold hands. Maybe a backpack for you, in lieu of a diaper bag.

oxeye

Here's what I would do: small folding luggage cart, LATCH one Radian to the frame. Fold the other, set it inside the first, bungee it on. Then, take the Keyfit, put the handle of it over the handle ot the luggage cart, so it's resting on the stacked Radians. Wear the baby, have the older kids hold hands. Maybe a backpack for you, in lieu of a diaper bag.

This seems completely doable. My only worry is the headwings on the XT. It might complicate how they fit together. But I could always fold both of them and put them back to back sideways on the luggage cart.

And good idea with the backpack. I can just pack my regular bag in my luggage so I have it while I am gone but a backpack will definitely be easier in the airport.

bp2002

Im 95% positive that southwest would require your oldest daughter to sit by the window if she was in a car seat. If only one carseat is on the row, it has to be by the window. (now, ive never seen anyone use a radian on a plane, so i dont know if you could convince them its ok bc of how low profile it is.)

is it ok to have 2 carseats next to each other on one row? I honestly dont know, ive never seen it ..but i dont remember seeing anyone try it.. Id think that would be ok.

I dont know when you flew southwest last.. Just a reminder that southwest doesnt board families with kids first anymore. they board between A and B unless you have A boarding, hopefully you get A boarding to make it easier for you.

If you are having trouble getting everything through the airport.. Would a southwest guy help you if you asked? Like they will help with a wheel chair? I would hope they would help a mom traveling with small kids!

hope it all goes well with the trip!

oxeye

If DD1 would have to go by the window in a row by herself then the Radian is definitely going in the overhead bin. She would freak out being that far away by herself. I'm nervous enough about how she will be just across the aisle.

I am pretty sure they will allow two carseats in one row. My sister has done it. The adult just has to be in the aisle seat as far as I know.

That is annoying that they don't allow families to preboard anymore. I plan on checking in online the second it is 24 hours before the planes leaves. I want plenty of time to get on the plane and get the kids and seats all settled. I'm also going straight to the back of the plane so we don't get in anyone's way while I'm trying to get the seats all situated.

We leave a week from Monday! I am excited but so nervous about getting there. I know I can get all three seats on the luggage cart so it shouldn't be any worse walking around than having a rolling carry on bag. It'll just take extra time to put it back together after security.

Calideedle

DS1 & DD were able to sit next to eachother in their Radians on our trip (Aug. 7th & Aug. 13th). DS1 had the window & DD was next to him then the aisle was between us. This was United.

MomToEliEm

is it ok to have 2 carseats next to each other on one row? I honestly dont know, ive never seen it ..but i dont remember seeing anyone try it.. Id think that would be ok.

I have traveled with two carseats next to each other on an airplane. I did have difficulty with a flight attendant twice while doing it. Once, I didn't have my FAA documentation handy and had a hard time finding someone who would listen. The second time, I had my FAA printed documentation and I didn't have any issues once showing that the FAA allows "family units" to travel together allowing two carseats next to each other.

To ensure that you don't have problems on your flight with two carseats side-by-side, make sure to print out these FAA documents so you can show them if you run into a flight attendant unfamiliar with the rules.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

oxeye

Thanks Katy! I will definitely print that out before we leave in case we have any issues with the flight attendent.

Now I am getting nervous about our family being able to all sit together. I am crossing my fingers for a good boarding pass number. If we board after the A's (which is 60 people) there are still good odds that we can find 4 seats together right? I just want to make sure DD1 is where I can easily reach her if needed.

sirrahn

Now I am getting nervous about our family being able to all sit together. I am crossing my fingers for a good boarding pass number. If we board after the A's (which is 60 people) there are still good odds that we can find 4 seats together right? I just want to make sure DD1 is where I can easily reach her if needed.

You can print your boarding passes online 24 hours before your flight. If you do it within the first few minutes, you'll have a very good chance of getting a group A boarding. DH flies Southwest all the time for business and figured out that trick pretty quickly. I don't think it's ever not worked for him. DS1 and I flew a few weeks ago and it worked for us as well. I would also guess that if someone sees that you're alone with 3 kids that they'll move if necessary. GL!

oxeye

You can print your boarding passes online 24 hours before your flight. If you do it within the first few minutes, you'll have a very good chance of getting a group A boarding. DH flies Southwest all the time for business and figured out that trick pretty quickly. I don't think it's ever not worked for him. DS1 and I flew a few weeks ago and it worked for us as well. I would also guess that if someone sees that you're alone with 3 kids that they'll move if necessary. GL!

My worry is the new "Early Bird" progran they just launched. You can pay $10 to get an assigned number before people can login online to get a boarding pass. I am hoping not very many people will do that. I won't pay $80 to do it!

Worst-case scenario is that we will get on after 60 people have boarded. I guess if we can't get seats together and no one will move I can just sit one of my DDs next to one of the jerks who won't move and say "Good luck, she gets air sick everytime we fly." I bet that would do it. ;)

Definitely hoping for an A boarding pass though!! I plan to check in online the second I am able.

sirrahn

My worry is the new "Early Bird" progran they just launched. You can pay $10 to get an assigned number before people can login online to get a boarding pass. I am hoping not very many people will do that. I won't pay $80 to do it!

I had forgotten about that:p Hopefully it won't mess things up too much. GL!

Qarin

There are 20 coach seat rows on a Southwest 737- so that's 40 sets of three seats. IF everyone in group A boards (60 people), and they fill those sets of seats one at a time, then there would be someone in each set of three, and two people in 20 of those sets. That isn't what will happen- there will only be 40 people actually there in groupA, with an average of almost 2/group, who will sit together, so it is entirely reasonable to expect that if you're boarding with families-with-small-children after groupA, you'll find almost 20 sets of 3 seats completely empty- head to the back, and you'll have no trouble finding your 4 seats together.

oxeye

Thanks for doing the math for me Qarin! I think I will stop worrying about it. This whole trip has me a bit nervous!

And I see you are in Seattle - that's where I am flying. :)

oxeye

Visiting my sister who just moved there a couple months ago. She lives about 20 miles NE of Seattle. I am excited to see the area. I am hoping to do my residency in Seattle.

vonfirmath

I'll be praying for your trip.

I decided that I wasn't going to fly Southwest anymore after I had kids because its too hard not to know you'll be able to sit together.

vangelder03

Thanks for the ideas. My current thought is to use a small foldable luggage cart my DH has for both of the Radians. I'll have to try it out but I bet I can get both seats on it. Then I can pull that and push the stoller/infant seat. Actually, if I can somehow get the Keyfit on there too, I may just forgo the stroller. I sling him 90% of the time anyway so I won't need it for when I get there.

I am pretty sure I am going to sling the baby in the airport. It will definitely make getting through security easier. I'm checking our luggage and only bringing the diaper bag as a carry on. The girls will each have a backpack with stuff to entertain themselves but they can carry those on their own.

Okay, this may actually work!!

Next issue will be where to put each kid once on the plane (Southwest open seating). I figure DS/Keyfit window, DD2/Radian FF middle, and me in the aisle. I was planning to put DD1 in the lapbelt in an aisle seat across from me. If I bring the Radian on the plane I feel like I should use it, but my sister was saying that a flight attendent wouldn't let her put a carseat in the aisle seat because those seats are designed to be broken down in an emergency (carseat would interfere with this). I don't like the idea of having her further away from me. So I may just put the seat in an overhead bin and still have DD1 use the lapbelt if I can't use the car seat in the aisle.

with a car seat they won't let you put it in the overhead if you don't use it they will put it with the rest of the luggage

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC