Which of these three vehicles would you choose?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Which of these three vehicles would you choose? added vehicle #16

This is to replace the Subaru wagon, which had a Bad Thing happen and may not be worth fixing. It is used very rarely -- my husband telecommutes and in the three years he's had this job, he averages less than 3000 miles per year. Daughter is in the vehicle even more rarely. (Please don't suggest that we really don't need a second car. I would agree with you. My husband wouldn't. It has been discussed ad nauseum. We're getting a second vehicle.)

We will have anything we're serious about inspected by our trusted mechanics, so assume satisfactory condition. All are stick shifts.

1995 Volvo 850, 150K miles
1998 Ford F-150, extended cab, 160K miles
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 125K miles

Last edited:
ADS

mommaon112903

1999 Toyota Camry LE, 125K miles

No questions about it. Toyota cars are great, DH likes Toyota *almost* as much as Honda. He used to work at a Honda dealership, so he has almost always had Honda's.

Auntie2Avi

I'm going to echo the pp, Toyota Camry.

My aunt/uncle have a 1990 Toyota Camry that is still in great condition, they have no plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. Toyota's last forever, or at least the ones I know of have lasted forever.

Dillipop

I am going to go against everyone else here and suggest the truck or volvo (if the volvo is a wagon.)

Since you rarely use it, I'd want a second vehicle that could be used to haul stuff. We have use of my dad's truck, but if we didn't, I'd seriously consider getting a vehicle that had more than a trunk to haul larger stuff.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Volvo is not a wagon. Husband wants the truck for the same reason, Dillipop, and I am starting to come around to that. Yes, gas mileage stinks, but he drives so little I think we'd be able to absorb it.

valleyfam

The truck might surprise you. I can't remember for sure but I think our 97 GF150 ext cab got 16mpg. It is really nice to have a truck every now and then. We have a chevy extended cab for a back up now. I wish we'd keep the Ford. I loved that truck. Now if he commuted a ways daily my vote might be different. Good luck. I hate buying new vehicles. LOL

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm with your husband and Dillipop. Truck. I can't imagine not having at least 1 vehicle that can be used to haul large stuff around.

agurlsride

I would go with the truck (having a vehicle to haul stuff is great)...although if circumstances were different (if the car was to be a commute car) I'd say go for the Camry.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Adding 2003 Ford Escape, 115K miles -- this is the current favorite in our house, especially daughter's, because it's bright yellow (husband is not so thrilled about that, lol).

APT

Re: Which of these three vehicles would you choose? added vehicle #16

The 97-03 F-150 had good crash ratings for its time for everything except offset front. I had a 99 Supercab and now a 2003 Supercrew. I don't know how I could live without a pickup as a homeowner.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We've been truckless homeowners for about 8 years now. It can be frustrating, but overall, the cost of renting a truck the few times a year we really NEED one (as opposed to a wagon or a small SUV, which is really just a tall wagon because we're not looking to get 4WD) seems to be less than the cost of owning/insuring/maintaining a truck. A truck still holds appeal, but we know we can manage without it if the numbers crunch that way.

kathysr98

I have to vote truck. Having one makes your life easier, and in some ways, I'd have to guess safer. Personally I'd rather be in a truck with a worse crash rating, but have the large/heavy/etc cargo away from me & family vs. an SUV or wagon with said cargo just behind eveyone's head. At least the truck has the back of the cab & a thick piece of glass for shielding. Also the truck will have better anchor points for securing cargo than most any wagon or SUV.

Last edited:

southpawboston

I have to vote truck. Having one makes your life easier, and in some ways, I'd have to guess safer. Personally I'd rather be in a truck with a worse crash rating, but have the large/heavy/etc cargo away from me & family vs. an SUV or wagon with said cargo just behind eveyone's head. At least the truck has the back of the cab & a thick piece of glass for shielding. As the truck will have better anchor points for securing cargo than most any wagon or SUV.

really? i don't think the rear window would offer any protection in a crash.

1997-2003 F150:

image.ashx

image.ashx

image.ashx

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC