Which of these three vehicles would you choose?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Make a list of advantages/disadvantages for each of these three vehicles. Then rank the value you have on each of the differences. Everyone has their opinion and values of each attribute for a vehicle, if otherwise obvious in this thread. Every vehicle is a compromise of some kind or another.

All are good vehicles, meaning they will suit your needs, are relatively safe, and reliable (100k, 200k, 300k+ mile F-150s.

I have been making a similar list, but I still appreciate all the perspectives. They make me think.

And of course, since we're buying used, it may very well come down to what our (long-time, trusted) mechanics have to say about each vehicle and what's available when we are.

ADS

Melanie

I'd probably vote Toyota with Volvo second.

Those years of Ford trucks would scare me. I realize a truck may be nice on the rare occasion there is something to haul. But I don't think it's enough to justify for most homeowners.

We've done without a truck for 5 years now. Even doing quite a bit of home improvement stuff, there have only been about 3 times that we needed a truck. I had to rent a U-haul once, but it was only $30.

If you need to haul stuff, you could look at buying a small utility trailer and putting a hitch on your car. If you don't have the room to store the trailer you could always rent one from a U-haul type place.

beeman

I'm a truck person, and more specifically a Ford truck person, so that's my answer to the question. Just remember it should be a V8 (preferably 5.4L), as the 4.2L V6 has a reputation of giving problems as it becomes higher mileage. 1st gear is also geared rather high, so have it checked for clutch wear as they tend to wear quickly with poor drivers.

SPB, what was the speed of those crash test pics you posted?

40 mph. It's a still from the video of the standard crash test of that F150. There are certain cars that did so poorly, the words "death trap" come to mind. The GM minivans of a certain year range also fall into this category. The F150 is just famous cuz it was juxtaposed against a Mini Cooper of the same year.

minicrash.jpg
0110_2_34.jpg

APT

Those years of Ford trucks would scare me. I realize a truck may be nice on the rare occasion there is something to haul. But I don't think it's enough to justify for most homeowners.

Most homeowners don't have a pickup. They get by without and are happy doing so. Some people think having one is a convenience, maybe a luxury. Others think not having one is a penalty, limitation of what one can do. Like beeman said, there are tuck people and non truck people. I can cite all kinds of uses I've had for my trucks, but that means nothing to many people such as yourself so I won't even bother.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Non-update: no decision yet, except that we're not happy with any of the choices we have at this point, and I hate car shopping.

erikanohelani

Out of those 3 I would get the Toyota.

I have seen many many older Toyota cars on the road. I knew several people that drive older model Camrys. They last long!

obamamama

If you can find a SAFE$500 car, can you show me where? LOL
if the other choices are so bad you dont' want them, I can only imagine what you'll find in that price range.
:scratcheshead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC