Why don't manufacturers...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
If buckle position in/at the belt path is so critical, why don't car seat manufacturers address this in the manual? I mean, a parent who doesn't frequent a board like this, would have no way of knowing since it's not in the manual, at least not in my Radian manual...didn't check the others, but right now my issue is w/the Radian manual since this is the seat I was installing. I got a rock solid install w/my Radian XT on the driver side w/seat belt, but was told the buckle placement was a no go. So I moved it to the passenger side on the flip seat since it has a shorter fixed buckle stalk. While it installs great (even with one hand in a cast ;)), I lose access to my 3rd row. We don't use it often, but if we want to use it...someone has to climb over. Fortunately, I have a 12yr old who doesn't mind...but others might not be so willing. LOL

Also, I used to be a tech. I let my certification lapse this year, so my class was about 2.5yrs ago. I don't recall this being addressed there either. Granted, I've had twins for the last 19mo...I may have forgotten a thing or two....but I'm fairly certain this was not addressed there either.:confused:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Britax does. There's an illustration toward the back of the convertible manuals.

I think it's a bigger issue for a locking latchplate. It's definitely not ideal for a seat with a locking retractor, but will it make it fail? I don't know. :shrug-shoulders:

NannyMom

If buckle position in/at the belt path is so critical, why don't car seat manufacturers address this in the manual? I mean, a parent who doesn't frequent a board like this, would have no way of knowing since it's not in the manual, at least not in my Radian manual...didn't check the others, but right now my issue is w/the Radian manual since this is the seat I was installing. I got a rock solid install w/my Radian XT on the driver side w/seat belt, but was told the buckle placement was a no go. So I moved it to the passenger side on the flip seat since it has a shorter fixed buckle stalk. While it installs great (even with one hand in a cast ;)), I lose access to my 3rd row. We don't use it often, but if we want to use it...someone has to climb over. Fortunately, I have a 12yr old who doesn't mind...but others might not be so willing. LOL

Also, I used to be a tech. I let my certification lapse this year, so my class was about 2.5yrs ago. I don't recall this being addressed there either. Granted, I've had twins for the last 19mo...I may have forgotten a thing or two....but I'm fairly certain this was not addressed there either.:confused:

I don't remember it being addressed in my class 11 months ago either. But I've learned it from working with an instructor.

Pixels

If buckle position in/at the belt path is so critical, why don't car seat manufacturers address this in the manual?
Maybe because it's a vehicle belts issue more than a carseat issue? The carseat manufacturer figures it's up to the vehicle manufacturer to be responsible for issues regarding the vehicle belts. And vehicle manufacturers often include legal minimums in their manuals. Carseat manufacturers, too. Everybody seems to need Big Brother to tell them what to put in the manual. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack your thread, but what is the issue with where the buckle is in relation to the beltpath on the Radian?

With any seat, the buckle needs to be all the way in the belt path or all the way out. Not sitting on the edge.

If it's on the edge, you can try twisting down the female buckle stalk up to three full twists to lower it. I know it was covered in my class.

April

It was covered in my class, but then again, my instructors are both car-seat.org moderators. :love:

I don't have my Durango anymore, but I founds the manual in the garage today and it talks about the latchplates and says to twist the buckle stalk "several times" to get it so the latchplate isn't in the beltpath on a CR.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Well I looked at my vehicle manual, and again, no addressing this issue. I've emailed Russ at SKJP to find out his thoughts. Specifically about this critical information not being addressed in the manual. Since the design of their seat has issues with longer seat belt stalks, I do think they should provide clarification of what type of installs are unsafe. Because anyone not a member here, or other similar site, would have been THRILLED with the install I had based on the car seat manual and vehicle manual.

Anyone know what happens to a seat belt if it's twisted more than 3x?? I think I've gotten mine completely untwisted, but my seat belt goes into a sleeve, and I have no idea if it's twisted inside or not. It doesn't 'feel' like it's twisted in there...but I can't be 100% certain.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It really only matters for locking latchplates. In which case it's a 'no duh' moment when you wiggle the seat to check for tightness and it immediately loosens. I've never seen anyone provide proof of seatbelts breaking or being overstressed or whatever from being on the seat (anyone have anything?...link me!)

:)

Pixels

Every time the belt is twisted, it is weakened (temporarily, it's fine once it's untwisted). Each twist weakens the belt further. They have done studies on how much each twist weakens the belt, and concluded that three full twists is still safe for carseat installation.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Thanks!

It really only matters for locking latchplates. In which case it's a 'no duh' moment when you wiggle the seat to check for tightness and it immediately loosens. I've never seen anyone provide proof of seatbelts breaking or being overstressed or whatever from being on the seat (anyone have anything?...link me!)

Russ basically said the same thing. I sent him the pics, and he said it's fine. I do not have locking latcplates, my belts lock when the belt is pulled all the way out. I've still got it on the other seat, but it's reassuring that if I need to use it in the other spot, I can.

Every time the belt is twisted, it is weakened (temporarily, it's fine once it's untwisted). Each twist weakens the belt further. They have done studies on how much each twist weakens the belt, and concluded that three full twists is still safe for carseat installation.

Makes sense! I'm fairly certain I have it all untwisted, not that I'm using that spot ATM. I will be extra vigilant about untwisting between installs to make sure I'm not twisting too many times.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC