Safeseat vs SR32

flick37

Well, I am thinking of getting around to buying our infant seat. I was going to go with the SR32, but since this is our last baby, I am now leaning towards a safeseat, so if the DOM is earlier, it won't really make much of a difference to us as we won't be needing it for future use.

Besides the extra 2lbs in the SR32, is there much of a difference between the two seats? Do they install the same, or is one easier to install?

Any reason not to get the safeseat and get the SR32 instead?

Thanks!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Installation is the same, as is shell height. I don't think those last 2 lbs would sway me toward the SR32. Most kids aren't going to make it all the way to 30 lbs in them anyway. If you find a good deal on a SS1 cover you like, I'd go for it. :)

DahliaRW

We got a SS1 because I could get one with the nicer infant insert for a lot less than the SR32. We love it, and really, it's just the earlier DOM. This is most likely our last as well, so that wasn't a big deal. I would save your money and get a SS1 if you can get a good deal.

flick37

I called the store that has some Safeseats in stock and the DOM is Feb 2007. The they only have the portica. The pattern looks nice on the computer (better than my all grey snugride from DD!). The price is $140 CDN with free shipping. If I recall, my graco snugride had a lifetime of 6 years, so well within the timeframe for the new baby due in Nov. Is there any reason NOT to by a carseat that has been on the shelf for over 2 years? (other than the older DOM, which really isn't an issue for me)

Thanks!

Pepse

I called the store that has some Safeseats in stock and the DOM is Feb 2007. The they only have the portica. The pattern looks nice on the computer (better than my all grey snugride from DD!). The price is $140 CDN with free shipping. If I recall, my graco snugride had a lifetime of 6 years, so well within the timeframe for the new baby due in Nov. Is there any reason NOT to by a carseat that has been on the shelf for over 2 years? (other than the older DOM, which really isn't an issue for me)

Thanks!

where did you call? dearborn baby has it for $139, they might have a different dom or colours.

flick37

It was dearborn baby that I called. Would you still get a Feb 2007 DOM for a baby born in Nov 2009? It is our last baby.

Pepse

It was dearborn baby that I called. Would you still get a Feb 2007 DOM for a baby born in Nov 2009? It is our last baby.

At that price, yes i would. it is no different than my safe seat that has a dom of nov 2006, wasn;t used until Aug 2007-Oc 2008 and now won't be used until May-July of 2010 so it has sat at our huse for 2 years

i don't think it is worth the extra $ seeing that it is your last baby

flick37

I just ordered the safeseat from Dearbornbaby. In the notes section, I requested one with the most recent DOM just in case there are still some of the NOV 2008 on the shelf). No pst, and with free shipping, my total was $147. A lot better than the $190 before taxes and shipping at sears, or the price of a SR32!

Jonah Baby

I was totally thinking of posting this question.

Thanks for settling me in my decision for the SS1.

I'm gonna check dearbornbaby now...

crunchierthanthou

I was totally thinking of posting this question.

Thanks for settling me in my decision for the SS1.

I'm gonna check dearbornbaby now...

you can probably find better deals in the US than $140 shipped. The posters discussing dearbornbaby are in Canada, where seats are generally more expensive. Maybe check Albeebaby. I think they have a few closeout SS1 patterns. :)

DahliaRW

you can probably find better deals in the US than $140 shipped. The posters discussing dearbornbaby are in Canada, where seats are generally more expensive. Maybe check Albeebaby. I think they have a few closeout SS1 patterns. :)

I agree. I got mine for $130 shipped since there was a special and I had some coupon codes I was able to stack. It was a nicer one than the base model ones.

This one: http://www.lnt.com/product/infant-car-seats/190724/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1.html

flick37

I got an email from Dearborn baby that they are out of stock for the safeseats and they will be getting a shipment in 1 to 2 weeks. Where would they be getting them from if they are discontinued? I will call dearborn baby tomorrow just to check. maybe my good deal won't happen after all :(

flick37

I got an email today. They have a seat, new in box, ready to ship. The DOM is Nov 15, 2008, which is 1.5 years newer than the one they said they had in the store, which was a DOM of Feb 2007!

jess71903

Ambassador
I got an email today. They have a seat, new in box, ready to ship. The DOM is Nov 15, 2008, which is 1.5 years newer than the one they said they had in the store, which was a DOM of Feb 2007!

Sweet! I love our SS1!!
This won't make a lot of difference to you, but graco seats expire in Dec of the 6th year, so it's possible to get nearly 7 years out of one if it was manufactured early in the year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC