Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

retrofit tether in 2007 gmc

Can anyone tell me if I can get a tether anchor retrofitted in a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. I need this in the third row. There is only one and I have two Huskies back there. GMC says they are not legally allowed to retrofit tethers. BTW - they are both installed with seatbelt extenders because the seatbelts are too short and I could not get a good fit with the short path.

I am having a hard time understanding why a 7 passenger vehicle has only 3 tether anchors and 2 latch positions. Oh and that is only in the US, the Canadian version produced on the same line has tethers and latch in ALL passenger positions. I realize they are required to in Canada but really how much would it have costs to do the same for the US cars.

Sorry for the vent, TIA
    Kelly

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: retrofit tether in 2007 gmc

Bummer, but no, you can't get extra tether anchors retrofitted. I do not know of any manufacturers that will add tether anchors if there were any factory installed. Why does a 7 passenger vehicle only have 2 lower acnhors and 3 tether anchors? Because that's all they're legally required to have.

What other seats are you trying to fit in? Could you re-arrange them at all to get the other Husky in one of the other positions with an anchor?

As for the belts being too short - did you try installing the Huskies without the recline bar? The recline bar is optional as long as you're using the long path and it's tethered. How close it it? If it's just a little short you might be able to gain enough by routing the belt under the cover. Hopefully we can find a way to make it work without the extenders.

Just chiming in on the seatbelt length...My MIL has an '01 Yukon and the seatbelts are WAY too short to do a long belt path install in the 3rd row. I had given up on installing the Regent in the 3rd row and just put it in one of the 2nd row captains chairs. After reading that someone was able to install in a Tahoe, I tried again a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get it in there solid using the recline bar and short path and tethering it. It was REALLY hard, though! I was shaking with effort by the time I was done. The way the shoulderbelt comes out of the seat is what made it such an undertaking. One other thing though, my niece had hardly any legroom back there and freaked out about it. Guess I'll be putting her Regent back in the middle row.
    Last edited by hsjwmom; 12-31-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    Abbysnail ~ 11 ~ Maui FR85 (booster mode) and Leopard Olli
    Chica ~ 9.5 ~ Pink Monterey and Julius Olli
    Loveybug ~ 3.5 ~ rfing in a Cranberry TFP and ffing in a FR85

I am not using the recline bars. I do have both of them tethered - one not quite legally I guess but I felt safer tethering it with a d-ring I had from a RA. I tethered to a large stable metal section of the seat. I actually think my spot is better than GMC's anchor spot as it is on a part of the removable seat.

I have not tried routing under the covers but I will do so - I do not think it will make a difference.

I really do not have much options as those seats really do need to go in the back with my 7yo DD and my 5yo DD. I have 2 buckets in the middle row, my 3yo DD is on the passenger side and I am due in April with #4 (a boy). My older 2 actually get in and tighten their own harnesses and check them. I really would like to keep them harnessed as long as possible.

This is our daily driver and my husband will kill me if I tell him this car is not working out.

Thanks for any advice.

Kelly

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mommiedoc View Post
    I am not using the recline bars. I do have both of them tethered - one not quite legally I guess but I felt safer tethering it with a d-ring I had from a RA. I tethered to a large stable metal section of the seat. I actually think my spot is better than GMC's anchor spot as it is on a part of the removable seat.

I have not tried routing under the covers but I will do so - I do not think it will make a difference.

I really do not have much options as those seats really do need to go in the back with my 7yo DD and my 5yo DD. I have 2 buckets in the middle row, my 3yo DD is on the passenger side and I am due in April with #4 (a boy). My older 2 actually get in and tighten their own harnesses and check them. I really would like to keep them harnessed as long as possible.

This is our daily driver and my husband will kill me if I tell him this car is not working out.

Thanks for any advice.

Kelly
    Kelly,

I have an '05 Tahoe which is the same as the Suburban/Denili just more cargo room. I have gotten our Regent in with recline bar. I do have to twist the belt stalk 3 full twist. I did have to use the shortbelt path. But, It was rock solid.

As for how you are top tethering one of the seat. That is extremely dangerous and will break in a crash. Also with you not using the seat per manufacture instructions you just released Britax of all liability if the seat fails in a crash.

What I would do is teach your 7yr old how to properly harness your 3yr old. I would move the 3yr old to the 3rd row and just not top tether install her carseat. Then move the 5yr old to the 2nd row so you can top tether the both the Huskies.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

?

Why would tethering to part of the seat frame be dangerous? It is ok to do it rear facing. Is it just that it has not been tested or is there data supporting it? Technically, I really should not be tethering past 48lbs (or is it 40) in a GMC. Maybe I should just give up and get them boosters. I can't move booth of them to the second row anyway as I am due in April and the Huskies don't really sit that well in the buckets, and leaving me very limited rear view. I did try the regular path install without the cover and still no go.

Kelly

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The Husky/Regent requires a tether after 50 pounds. So in terms of carseat/car compatibility everything but a Regent/Subaru combination is out, and even the Subaru is out after 60 pounds.

There's no way to know how a D ring will work in that situation. It's not designed to be used FFing, only for RFing seats, which have quite different crash dynamics (the RFing tether helps stablize the seat and prevent rebound during the ride down after the inital collision, the FFing tether reduces head excursion only during the initial collision). The D ring was only meant to help reduce rebound when the forces on the car are reduced. It *may* work FFing, but it very likely will not. And since the Regent MUST be tethered after 50 pounds, this is something right out of Britaxes manual, that means it's likely very dangerous to not have it tethered. In effect, you're going against the manual twice by using the D ring, and Britax will simply say sorry, not our fault if something horrible should happen.

I agree with the PP. If your seven year old can harness and tighten himself to your satisfaction, then you could move your three year old to the back and trust the seven year old to do the three year old up. You can check on them at least until the new baby comes, make sure that in the next few months they've got a system down pat. Then your five year old can go in the captain's chair. Or when the baby comes you can put the baby in the third row with the seven year old (a lot of people lift the baby in through the rear hatch, either in an infant seat and just plug them into the base, or in a convertible and just get in the trunk to fasten them in) and put the three year old and five year old in the captain's chairs. With a seven year old in the third row you open yourself up to a lot of options in terms of help handing things back, making sure the baby is ok, that sort of thing.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I give up!

? Are seat belt extenders NOT safe?? I would feel comfortable not tethering my 5 yr old for the moment if I could keep the husky installed with the long route. I have tried the short path and this will absolutely not work. This is a 2007 and redesigned, there is no way to twist the female stalk.

Here is some more info-

My kids
    7yo dd 48lbs 49 in (Husky)
    5yo dd 43lbs 42 in (Husky)
    3yo dd 33lbs 37 in (Recaro YS FF)
    expecting in 4/07

I only have 3 tethers available (despite the fact the owners manual says 4)
    2 are in the buckets in the middle row and 1 in the rear.

There is no way the baby could go in the third row. Not enough room to manuver a carseat and there is no way I could reach from the hatch or rear door. I don't think my 7 yo would be able to carry it all that way - she would have to lift it over the middle seats.

I am thinking of putting my 7yo in a booster in the third row in the non tether spot (she will just have to buckle it up before she gets out during the morning carpool). Put my 3yo in the third row where the tether is. Put my 5yo in one of the buckets and the infant in the other. Hopefully they will be able to walk around the Husky in the bucket seat! This way I could kind of get my hand on the YS harness.

I wish there was a way you could install a 5pt harness to the seat like we do in race cars!

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mommiedoc View Post
    I give up!

? Are seat belt extenders NOT safe?? I would feel comfortable not tethering my 5 yr old for the moment if I could keep the husky installed with the long route. I have tried the short path and this will absolutely not work. This is a 2007 and redesigned, there is no way to twist the female stalk.

Here is some more info-

My kids
    7yo dd 48lbs 49 in (Husky)
    5yo dd 43lbs 42 in (Husky)
    3yo dd 33lbs 37 in (Recaro YS FF)
    expecting in 4/07

I only have 3 tethers available (despite the fact the owners manual says 4)
    2 are in the buckets in the middle row and 1 in the rear.

There is no way the baby could go in the third row. Not enough room to manuver a carseat and there is no way I could reach from the hatch or rear door. I don't think my 7 yo would be able to carry it all that way - she would have to lift it over the middle seats.

I am thinking of putting my 7yo in a booster in the third row in the non tether spot (she will just have to buckle it up before she gets out during the morning carpool). Put my 3yo in the third row where the tether is. Put my 5yo in one of the buckets and the infant in the other. Hopefully they will be able to walk around the Husky in the bucket seat! This way I could kind of get my hand on the YS harness.

I wish there was a way you could install a 5pt harness to the seat like we do in race cars!
    Can you post a picture of your belt stalks on the 3rd row? Sorry I haven't seen the 3rd row on the new '07.

As for the d-ring like Wendy said we just don't know. As for top tethering on all GM vehicles (except Saab) the LATCH limits are 48lbs & top tether is 40lbs. From what I have read and gathered the top tethers will most likely not break even past the manufacture weight limit. NHTSA testing standards are 40lbs currently. But, If they are to break in a crash it has already severed it's purpuse in reducing the head excurison.

Are you using the recline bar? If you are not top tethering you must use the recline bar. Currently your 5yr olds seat doesn't need to be top tethered but you do need to be using the recline bar with that seat. The recline bar helped big time with the short belt guide installation. I also had to use shelf gripe liner on my leather to help with slippage.

The reason your manual says 4 top tethers is for the Suburbans that have a bench seat in the 2nd row. They use the same manual for all models of the Suburban/Tahoe's.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt