How bad is the learning curve booster?

AtTheSouthDam

I made a horrid discovery yesterday when I pulled out our luggage. The back to DD1's TB barely fits, it is such a tight fit I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. The Monterey is a definite no go. I didn't realize our suit case was so small!
What do I do?

A new larger suitcase would be expensive and we don't really travel enough to justify it. This is out first family vacation, ever. And if you don't count the booster seat, everything we need can fit in carry-ons.

So, I was wondering about the learning curves booster. Will it fold down to carry on size? And would it be small enough to fit next to a RF Radian in a mid-sized sedan (we are reserved for Pontiac G6 or similar.) I think this would be less expensive than buy a large suit case and paying luggage fees. Would it fit smaller boosterers well? I need to get a non-girly booster for a nearly six year old boy I watch every Saturday so it would get some use after wards. He weighs a whopping 37 lbs (but does very well in a booster!)

My other option is to have DD1 use DD2's Radian. She is over the top slots, but not too bad and she looks much more comfortable in the 80 than XT. She likes this idea. But then what does DD2 use. What will RF next to a FF radian? I need to get one adult in the back of his this sedan.

Last option would be to check :eek: a car seat. It would be free but endangered!

Of course if I missed something let me know.

ETA: oops I thought I put this in chat. Move it if need be :D

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

Are you able to buy a booster at your destination? or have someone bring one to you at the airport?

I can get one there but then I have to get it home again. If I am buying a booster I would like to keep it for the baby sat boy. The only person I know IRL in Seattle is my Brother and he lives in Redmond. It would be a bit of a drive just to drop off a seat. But I could order one and have it delivered to his house and just use the back from the airport (no, he is not picking us up. He own a crossfire. Three of us would have to hang to the roof with the luggage :p) But Seattle traffic scares me. I would be a mess the whole way.

You could just carry the TB. Or get a plastic bag and put it in. Not as convient as a suitcase, but then you could still carry it on and store it.

Is a TB small enough to be a carry on? I thought the back made it too large.

sirrahn

You could also just carry on the TB base and let her use it backless at your destination.

We had the same problem with our SR/C back when we went on vacation this past spring. I'd planned to pack it for 6 yr old DD, but it didn't fit. She did fine without the back for the trip. I do think the back would make it too large to carry on.

AtTheSouthDam

I am afraid to check it, at least a little bit. If I put it in a TB box would it be less likely to suffer damage? (ditto for the monterey box, I still have that. The TB box would be aquired as I really do need to get A something for the 40 minute trip home every saturday).

As far as only using the back I am pretty sure she will be riding out board in the sedan as I highly doubt the RN will fit behind the driver or passenger. I would rather have the head wings with her that close to the window

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am afraid to check it, at least a little bit. If I put it in a TB box would it be less likely to suffer damage? (ditto for the monterey box, I still have that. The TB box would be aquired as I really do need to get A something for the 40 minute trip home every saturday).

Sorry, I meant gate checking and apparently assumed you could read my mind.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Use the seat as a carry on, put the back in your luggage. You'll be fine :)

She says the back doesn't fit in her luggage, hence the whole problem in the first place.

The Compass is a wide booster, but it does fit in the overhead.

What about getting bungee cords and just strapping the TB onto your rolling luggage? Either in one or two pieces. Or I agree, going backless for the trip.

Seattle traffic can be horrid, but it's rarely scary. People are considerate and slow, even if traffic is moving. I actually hear of fewer accidents here during rush hour than I did in Raleigh (which has some really lousy drivers).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC