There has been a theft

Splash

Tonight was my nephew's first birthday party/SIL's baby shower. After the niceties, I snagged her car keys and went to the car and took the shield booster! I then drove to Albertson's (grocery store) and bought an OHS Evenflo Tribute for $52.99 (odd price... and yes, our grocery stores have car seats, which basically gives you ZERO excuse not to have one). I chucked the booster in the dumpster after pouring a can of vegetable soup on it (just in case). I then went back to the house and with my heart pounding put the carseat in. Forward facing, but that is the least of my concerns. I left a card in the seat and in the card wrote "I know you are worried about having to buckle two car seats in. This one will be very easy to use and will keep him nice and safe. We love him so much and want him to be with us for a long time. Happy Birthday."
There has been no phone call. I am sure there will be hell raised when they find out, but oh well.
They also got a Combi Connection infant seat at the baby shower which I am supremely upset over. That is NOT an easy seat to install/use AT ALL, and since he gets a new car every week there is no guarantee they will always have LATCH, and I KNOW they can't put it in with the belt. I can only hope, right?
I'll let you guys know what happens when they find out. I'm a little nervous, but at this point I don't care. My MIL saw me putting it in and asked if I had asked permission. I said no. She said "You don't do something like this without asking permission" and I said "If I saw someone drowning their kid, I wouldn't ask their permission to pull him out of the river." and that was that. I think she's happy, she just doesn't want to bear the fallout and would never criticize Jess and Mike about anything.
I can't believe I did that! I wasn't planning on it, but something snapped and i couldn't not do it. I didn't get the Scenera, because even though it would last longer and I KNOW it would be easier to install (I hate evenflo) it's harder to use. This is the most user friendly seat alive, if she can't master this, it's over.

ADS

super_grape

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you that you did that and hopefully they will have
the decency to use it.

Way to go, Splash!

Holly

scatterbunny

Awww, GOOD for YOU! :D :D

And I think given the circumstances you did pick the easiest, safest option for him.

Fingers crossed they don't flip out. :rolleyes:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LOL, ding dong the shield booster is gone... Fingers crossed they won't replace it with another one just as bad.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wooohoooo! That took some guts, but I'm so glad you did it! You have to let us know what their reaction is (hopefully it won't be too bad)!

lovinwaves

Oh my gosh Splash, I am sooooo incredibly proud of you. That took some guts!! It is really sad that they would be upset about something like that, but I think you did a very very good thing!! Be sure and keep us posted. :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I seriously need to go to bed...but I've been wondering what happened. Although you are in Florida right?? That means you've probably been asleep for a couple of hours....guess I'll go to then! LOL

SPJ&E

I have to say I'm proud of you too! I think what you did is AWESOME!! Now hopefully they'll actually use it!

didymama

Splash-you are truly a great person! i hope that if the parents don't appreciate you now that their son later will. great line to your mil! i used to have one of those seats (once nate was ff and before i new better-i'm sure it was expired) and they are super easy-far easier than my booster in my mom's car!

Last edited:

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
That is seriously AWESOME!!!!! Way to go!!

PS...you are in FL, right? My dh is in the grocery business and used to work for Albertsons (well, still does, sort of) and he had no idea that the stores there sold carseats! We're in the west...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC