Britax rf limit...wager they could 40 lb if tested?

Raegansmom4

I would wager they could pass 40 lbs if they tested them at that. Or, have they been tested at 40 and failed? They are so sturdy, one would think they could handle 40 lbs no problem...Hmm, one could only dream... If Britax would approve the MA at 40 lbs, I'd run out and buy a new one today.

ADS

ks1978

But I can't picture most 40 pounders fitting comfortably RFing in a MA! It is a great seat, a bit big, but I just wish the seat were deeper!!

Splash

Britax has no intention of rating it to 40 pounds, and I don't blame them. Now, if they'd rip out the cup holders from the Frontier so the RF belt path is accessible, and certify that for US use, well... that would be different.
But I don't doubt for a minute it would be fine at 40 pounds, 45 pounds, more. Which is why I don't freak out OMG he weighs 34 pounds 9 ounces and we're going to be eating at a buffet tonight is he going to DIE?!?!

The danger in a RF seat is downward rotation and rebound. Brace it against the front seat and the rotation is handled, tether it and there is no rebound, life is friendly.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Sarah Tilton and several Britax engineers agreed that they had no plans to test the current seats at 40# RFing (of course, they may change their minds and they may have surprises up their sleeves).

Raegansmom4

Good point - my dd has way more leg room in her MR than the MA rfing. In a perfect world, the Swedish Britax seats would be "legal" in the US. Should be a parenting choice not a regulation, imo.

kidzndogz

But I don't doubt for a minute it would be fine at 40 pounds, 45 pounds, more. Which is why I don't freak out OMG he weighs 34 pounds 9 ounces and we're going to be eating at a buffet tonight is he going to DIE?!?!

The danger in a RF seat is downward rotation and rebound. Brace it against the front seat and the rotation is handled, tether it and there is no rebound, life is friendly.

:yeahthat: :whistle:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
You can't always brace a Britax. In my Sub, I have one installed center (doesn't touch) and one behind the driver. While it touches, it barely does, even with the seat all the way back...so if my 29lber sits there, it reclines the seat and actually becomes over reclined. A 35-40lb kid...would absolutely not work rf'ing in a Britax in my vehicle.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In the absence of bracing I have good reason to believe it would fail at 40lbs. I won't say more than that though.

Jonah Baby

If Britax RFed to 40, then I know DH would have us owning several.
We had a Roundabout when Jo was younger, and it was honestly one of THE best seats, ever. (There is no way he would fit in it properly now, however.)

There is also no way my boy would put up with the absence of leg-room RFing with Britax. If they redesigned one of their seats to have a much "deeper" seat, we'd do it. I think the RA also had a 40 FFing limit, right? So, that limit would need to be much higher if it RFed to 40.
RFing ONLY seat to 50 pounds is what they should make.

I second the Swedish Seat Use Act.

cowgirlsmommy

I bet they could pass. Since Britax keeps saying that they won't test current seats to 40 lbs, I have hopes that they're going to whip out some awesome cool 40 lb RF seat at the ABC Kids Expo this year:whistle:.

Maedze

I don't give a flying patootie if they pass at 40 pounds. Even if they did, I wouldn't buy another.

Now, if they relabled the MT and brought it over here, and did away with the redonkulous 1" rule, I might start to feel my heart soften toward Britax again.

Splash

I don't give a flying patootie if they pass at 40 pounds. Even if they did, I wouldn't buy another.

Now, if they relabled the MT and brought it over here, and did away with the redonkulous 1" rule, I might start to feel my heart soften toward Britax again.

They did... they just put cup holders in it so we couldn't get to the belt path :whistle:

jujumum

I'm not sure a BV/MA/DC/RA50 could pass at 40lbs - purely speculating on design.

The 40lb rf seats - RN, CA, MR - don't have separate bases - these seats sit directly on the vehicle seat. The MR is higher up, but doesn't have a separate, plastic, pivoting base as the BV/MA/DC/RA50. A Britax seat going to 40lbs would have a lot of extra weight to accomodate with regards to the relationship between the seat and the base.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC