Someone w/ Fuzzi Bunz experience, please help!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
The other day I won 2 used Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers on ebay. The description said "Very good used condition with no tears or snags. Elastic and snaps are in great working order." I paid $17.50 plus $3.50 shipping, which I figured was a good price. Well, they came in the mail today, and it appears to me that the elastic in the back is totally stretched out, but I don't know for sure because I've never seen a new Fuzzi Bunz diaper IRL, so I don't really know what the elastic is supposed to look like. I don't want to keep them if the elastic is really that stretched out. I am including pictures of 1 of the FBs, and, for comparison, a Drybees pocket diaper that I've been using for a couple days now. You can clearly see how the elastic part is 'bunched up' on the Drybees, but its not on the FB. I would really like your input (anyone please), so that I can send them back if they're not how they should be. TIA!!!
Fuzzi Bunz:
fuzzibinz.jpg

Drybees:
drybees.jpg

comparison of the 2:
drybeesfuzzibunscomparison.jpg

ADS

Dillipop

Looks like both my fuzzi bunz are in the wash...however, i seem to remember that the elastic goes further across the back than how the drybees do. Making it look less tight. For good used condition, I would expect a little stretch to the elastic, though, as long as it's not totally shot.

SPJ&E

It looks a bit stretched out, but I'm not sure...let me check my memory cards and see if I have a picture of Pacey's!

SPJ&E

Here's a picture from one of my auctions when I sold mine...you can't see the elastic great, but you can see it. Yours do look a bit stretched compared to these I think.

Attachments

• 78_1.jpg
    78_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the info! Sam & Pacey - the picture really helps! I can see the elastic and it does look like these are stretched out compared to yours. The elastic really doesn't have any stretch left to it at all. I'm wondefing if I can figure out how to replace the elastic myself instead of going through the headache of sending them back and all that, because the seller doesn't have a return policy listed (of course). Thanks again!
Mackenzy

tchrgrrl

There is definite wear in that back elastic but I do have FB that look like that and are still functional. For my kids the leg elastic is much more important.

SPJ&E

You may be able to e-mail the Fuzzi Bunz Company and have them replace it...I don't know if it costs or not. I know people have done that...had the elastic replaced, but I don't remember the details.

What I would do is just try them out on your baby first! If it doesn't leak, I really wouldn't worry about it (I agree, the leg elastic is the most important, although the back elastic helps keep explosive #2's in).

They look a little stretched to me, but certainly still serviceable. ITA with the PPs; try them out and see if the elastic poses a problem; I doubt it will. FBz are just made fairly flat across the top in the first place. I doubt the seller realized that the elastic wasn't as good as it may have once been; if they were still in regular use and not causing any leakage problems with her child, it would be hard to notice through daily use just how worn the elastic was getting (with no brand-new FBz to compare to).

You could let her know that the condition wasn't quite what you expected, and see what she says before deciding to leave negative or neutral feedback. Some people are very nice about it, others get overly defensive right off the bat. Good luck!

Splash

Yeah, stretched a bit but still functional. The PUL stretches as well, so there will still be some stretch in the diaper. I don't see any reason why these diapers won't work just fine.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Well, I actually ended up replacing the elastic myself. It was much easier than I thought it would be and my sewing skills are definitely beginner's level! ;) They only way you can tell is that I used green thread cuz thats what was already in my sewing machine, so it definitely stands out against the white diapers. Oh well! The old elastic was deterioted in spots, here & there, so I'm glad I replaced it. I used all of your advice too, and didn't make it too tight, since FBs aren't supposed to be that tight across the back. If I wouldn't have asked this question in the first place, I would've figured they needed to be as tight as the Drybees and Happy Heinys are in the back. Actually, the looser elastic design of the FBs looks like it'll be comfier than the others. Thanks for your help! I definitely want some new FBs now, too!

didymama

i am leary of used FB. a while back they had issues with production because the couple was getting divorced and HE got the company. quality became crappy (snaps falling off, sizes not being right etc). she sued to get the company back and won. quality is back to it's old self again! you might have one of those. i checked the one FB i have and the elastic is not as tight as say my ella's. still looks ok though. you did get a good price BTW my one FB is pretty new.

Shaunam

You know, since you managed to replace the elastic and liked how it turned out, you may want to try your hand at sewing your own diapers. ;) It's so much fun and saves a lot of money (unless you become addicted to sewing diapers like I have LOL). Not counting the insert, it costs me $3 to sew a pocket diaper with all new materials. :D

Dillipop

I love sewing my own fitteds. It takes a while with my limited experience, but I have so much fun doing it and I love how cute DS's bum is. I have yet to take on pockets...I have the pul but am a bit scared of it!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I was actually thinking of that when I was sewing the FB's last night! They can't be that hard to make, right? Where do you get the PUL and the microfleece for them? Do you use snaps or velcro when you make your own? $3!!!! Thats so cheap! It would definitely be worth it if I could figure it out!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
So, I just realized that I have ordered SO many diapers in the past week. Right now I have 2 Happy Heiny's (that I love), 2 Fuzzi Bunz, 2 Drybees, and 1 Swaddlebees Aplix pocket. The ones that I have ordered that haven't arrived yet: 3 Snap-ez pockets, 3 Snap-ez AIOs, 2 Snap-ez pocket trainers (for my 5 yr old to wear at night), 1 more Drybees, 2 more Swaddlebees Aplix, 1 more Happy Heiny and 4 new FB's. What is that total? 21 diapers and 2 trainers! I guess this really is addicting! My original plan was to have 13 total and to wash every other day. My ILs gave us $500 for Xmas and I have spent a good deal of it on CDs, wipes, wet bags (1 big for the diaper pail and 1 small for the diaper bag), and extra inserts (plus the MF towels I got at Walmart). Wow!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
You know, since you managed to replace the elastic and liked how it turned out, you may want to try your hand at sewing your own diapers. It's so much fun and saves a lot of money (unless you become addicted to sewing diapers like I have LOL). Not counting the insert, it costs me $3 to sew a pocket diaper with all new materials.

Did you just make you own pattern or did you copy something? Oh, and what is PUL?

Shaunam

Did you just make you own pattern or did you copy something? Oh, and what is PUL?

PUL is the waterproof outer fabric. I usually buy from diapershop.com, but there are many places to buy from. There are tons of diaper sewing co-ops around too. I hang around diapersewingdivas.com. Lots of very talented ladies and tons of resources, lists of co-ops, ect.

I make all my own patterns. It's really not very hard. It just takes a bit of practice. The first few pockets I made, I used a medium bummis wrap and traced it (I had to have my dad help stretch it out while I drew around it). Then I trimmed the crotch a bit (because covers are wider through the crotch than pockets) and added a seam allowance. One of those first pockets I made is still in my stash! It has cosmetic flaws, but is completely functional. We use it as a night-time diaper, primarily. Here's DS a year ago in it (my goodness he's slimmed down!):

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tim_shauna/album/576460762378016782/photo/294928804076355859/0

Now I make all my patterns from scratch. I can type out exactly how I do it if anyone is interested. You can buy patterns for about $10, but I'm just way too cheap. LOL

Oh yeah, the $3 is counting pul, suedecloth inner (does the same thing as microfleece, but feels a little different and I think it's easier to sew with), aplix, and elastic for LARGE diapers. Smaller diapers are even cheaper. Snaps are a bit more expensive per diaper, and of course, there's the cost of the snap press, but if you plan to sew many diapers and really, really prefer snaps to aplix, it is totally worth it.

And I think pockets are even easier than fitteds, Dillipop. :D I was intmidated by the pul at first too, but it's really not hard to work with. Just be sure to keep the shiny side of the pul facing down and the fleece or suedecloth facing up or else it'll bunch. Try sewing on a scrap of fabric first if it puts your mind at ease. Also, a size 14 ballpoint needle is recommended. HTH!

And for everyone's enjoyment (yeah I know it's also a shameless show-off :eek: ), a pocket I made last night. It cost me approx $4 (because of the outer fabric). And it only takes about 20-30 minutes once you have a little practice:

000_0045.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC