Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Parenting Mag Sept '09 Issue ERF Mention

A brief mention on page 28:

'Clearing up car-seat confusion. The safest way for a kid under 4 to ride is facing backward, according to a new British study. Aim to keep your tot rear-facing up to your seat's weight and height limits - not just until the AAP minimum of 1 year and 20lbs.'

I was happily surpised by the stated age of 4 years, just wish they would have mentioned the AAP rec of 2 years minimum now.
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Parenting Mag Sept '09 Issue ERF Mention

AWESOME! I too wish they had gotten the AAP reccommendation correct.

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30

That's great!

Actually, that is the correct AAP recommendation - to the maximum weight or height allowed by the convertible car seat, but a bare minimum of 1 year and 20lbs. The AAP hasn't "officially" adopted a 2 year minimum; that came from some AAP-related article, but as far as I know, it is not the official policy statement. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy0608 View Post
    That's great!

Actually, that is the correct AAP recommendation - to the maximum weight or height allowed by the convertible car seat, but a bare minimum of 1 year and 20lbs. The AAP hasn't "officially" adopted a 2 year minimum; that came from some AAP-related article, but as far as I know, it is not the official policy statement. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct, Jenny. The AAP has not changed their recommendations, which are pretty good anyway.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Technician

You are right... I read the somewhere else recently as well. Do you know if there are any plans to make it a formal reccomendation?

Bella, 5yo 46lbs, FF in Nauti and XTSL
    Trace, 2/13, RF in KF30

They have no intention to make it official policy, as they want people to rear face to the maximum limits of their seat.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleCPST View Post
    Do you know if there are any plans to make it a formal reccomendation?
    From this AAP release, it states that they are in the early stages of considering changes, but nothing is expected to change quickly.
    http://www.aap.org/pressroom/aappr-aug1709mailing.htm
    AAP Policy Clarification

Recent news reports have misstated the policy of the American Academy of Pediatrics regarding rear-facing car safety seats. The recommendations in the 2002 AAP policy statement, “Selecting and Using the Most Appropriate Car Safety Seats for Growing Children: Guidelines for Counseling Parents” still apply and have not changed. It recommends children face the rear of the vehicle until they reach the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back. The policy recommends that at a minimum, children should remain rear-facing until they are at least 1 year old and weigh 20 pounds. For optimal protection, the AAP recommends children remain rear-facing as long as their car safety seat will accommodate them in that position.

The AAP Committee on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention is in the early stages of an update to the 2002 policy statement on car seats. The AAP Department of Communications does not have information about the content of the new policy at this time. Reporters who are subscribed to the AAP media mailing (this e-mail list) will receive information on the new policy as soon as it is ready to be published. The new policy statement is expected to be released sometime in 2010 and will reflect the most recent research. Individual research studies, however, do not constitute AAP policy and should not be reported as such. Reporters who have questions about AAP policies are welcome to call Susan Martin or Debbie Linchesky at the AAP Department of Communications. For up-to-date guidance on car safety seats, visit http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm .
    Katy

10. Thank You from: