Any good links/references on importance of boostering past legal minimum

Well it's back to school week and once again I'm getting peeved by the number of my 2nd-grade DDs' classmates who are going boosterless and am thinking of blogging about it on our parents of multiples club blog. Anyone have some good links, references, etc. in addition to the 5-step test to explain why "legal" (6 years or 60 lbs. here in CA) isn't the same as "safe"?
Thanks!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

I don't know if videos will help (maybe if you do an email mail out?) but here are a couple great ones:

Crash with booster and 5-point harness: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM&feature=related"]YouTube - 5 point harness vs. booster seat crash test[/ame]

Importance of 5-point harness, Belle's Gift: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04&feature=fvw"]YouTube - The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift[/ame]

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Ad Council had the NHTSA recommendation of 4 foot 9 on youtube, but I can't for the life of me find it. Just thinking a well-known link to a government agency higher than the state might carry some weight with more skeptical parents (sorry I can't find any though, do you remember them on TV? Like little kids being too short for everything, and the princess booster ad). IIHS also has a page, but I'm not sure if you can just link to their 'big enough for a seatbelt' video... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/default.html

thanks for the links. I was hoping someone might have some links to studies/data about abdominal injuries that can result from poor seat belt fit. Anyone?

And I *wish* someone would do a version of the "kids under 4'9" need a booster" that was geared to OLDER kids - the princess thing is great for pre-K/K's but I'm afraid that 1st grade and older kids like my DD's would see it as reinforcement of the mistaken notion that boosters are "babyish". Maybe something like Ms. Frizzle and the Magic School Bus kids ("Our bus isn't confined by the laws of physics, but your parents' cars are. You need a booster to be safe") or have Mo Willems do a "Don't let the pigeon ride without a booster" booklet.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Or the short kid on Hannah Montana...

A PSA with the five step test would be so awesome, maybe we need to write letters to the ad council? There's a 'adult belt is not enough' video on youtube that shows the dummy getting gutted by a belt, but it's not polished/professional to show people. Or google for the study that shows kids are fifty nine percent safer in boosters from ages four to seven. I'm on my little 'puter or I'd do it...

outnumberedby6

i have the same problem. everyone around me especially dhs family says my son doesnt need it because hes 11. and these are nurses. i mean really!?
hes over 49 in too so that isnt helping. i have of course said it was a guideline and that if the belt goes over the tummy and neck like for my son than it is a hell no. they are so stupid. ive gone over the 5 step test with them and seat belt syndrome to no avail. they just say well at some point hes going to have to use a seat belt only. yea, AND?!?!?!?

is it just me? why am i surrounded by stupid.

btw the one nurse his sister, works in a childrens hosp. guess she never paid any attention.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC