Would you rearface her today?

RFing for 34lb DD in 35lb rfing limit MA for out of town?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

2BunniesMommy

We are going out of town today. Not overnight or anything.

DD1 weighs 34lbs dressed, no shoes but will be wearing sandals, and was holding a toy camera. She has eaten a little today but not a full meal.

I am super anxious on the highway/freeway. DH will be driving, but I will still feel a lot safer if she is rearfacing, as long as she will be safe to.

So, if she eats a big meal, she may go slightly over 35 and I won't know, or she may stick at 34 today...won't know that either.

Which way to go with this?

We are leaving as soon as we are all ready, so this if we do this it will add the time of removing the FN and installing the MA, but otherwise, need answers ASAP.

So, WWYD?

ADS

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I'm in the camp of deciding to FF then sticking with it. Barring a broken collar bone or something medical, I would RF to within a pound or two of the limit then stay FFing even if they lose weight. That is, as long as the child is over 3 years old.

Splash

35 pounds is 35 pounds, not 34 pounds. Clothing, meals, I don't care about that. A glass of water and a chicken sandwich will not make the car seat explode. Leave her there until she is 35 pounds, and then turn her for good.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
what splash said. It kills me when people start talking about how many OUNCES their kid weighs and how much they ate that day.....35 is 35.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
35 pounds is 35 pounds, not 34 pounds. Clothing, meals, I don't care about that. A glass of water and a chicken sandwich will not make the car seat explode. Leave her there until she is 35 pounds, and then turn her for good.

I agree with this. When DD weighed 33.4 lbs (I know the .4 part only because I weighed her at the dr.) and was in a 33-lb RF MA, I actually RFd for one more weekend before turning her FF because we were taking an 8-hr trip to visit my in-laws. I had no qualms about doing so.

(Of course, I turned her back RF less than a month later when I got an excellent deal on a My Ride. She told me "Thanks, Mom. I dreamed that you would get me a new seat that would go backwards again!" :p)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
(Of course, I turned her back RF less than a month later when I got an excellent deal on a My Ride. She told me "Thanks, Mom. I dreamed that you would get me a new seat that would go backwards again!" :p)

:ROTFLMAO: This has to be one of the cutest things I've heard in a long time.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with both Splash *and* skier3. I'm okay with using a seat to the limit, but not with weighing and flipping every other day.

2BunniesMommy

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. We did keep her forward today because even though DH does support ERF, he didn't want to take the time to change out seats because we were already running late. She had to be turned when she reached the 33lb limit of the DC we had at the time and I have really wanted her to still be rearfacing since then (Nov 08). The majority saying to do it does help me make the case for when we go to San Diego in 3 weeks, for those who know SoCal, you can probably understand why I really want her rearfacing on 395 and I-5. Also, MIL and my nephew may be riding in the 3rd row, so I am sure Libby would love to be able to see them instead of the backs of me and DH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC