Question Chest clip on the GN

abttrflykss

Does anyone else have a smart child that can unbuckle the chest clip? How did you resolve the issue? My daughter is a month shy of 3, so I'm not sure how much she understands my trying to tell her that she will get a big boo-boo if she keeps unbuckling the clip. She doesn't take her arms out or anything, just unclips it and lets it sit across her chest undone.

Can I buy a different clip to use? It looks like the clip on the GN is the only style Graco uses, would I be able to use another manufacturer's clip on the GN? I'm guessing that would void the warranty, right?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
One common recomendation is to put a piece of velcro, the "prickly" side, on the chest clip, so it sort of hurts to touch it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She may not understand getting a boo boo, but she will definitely understand that mommy has to pull over to fix my clip, and that means it's going to take a loooong time to get to (her most favorite place in the world, where ever that may be). You may have to pull over a couple times before you she knows you mean business, but as long as the reward for staying buckled is getting to (that favorite place), she'll understand that staying properly buckled up is absolutely required. (my dd just pushed hers down. we sat in the parkinglot at preschool only for about 2 minutes one day before she truly got that mommy means business...this car will not move till that chest clip is right).

Good luck!

abttrflykss

joolsplus3 ~ Hmmmm....that might work, but a little differently. The GN is in grandmom's car, so I will tell her to try pulling over when she see's the buckle undone, make my DD rebuckle it (she usually throws a fit if she doesn't buckle the chest clip when 1st getting in the car) and tell her the car isn't moving til she does it. Although knowing my child, she tends to do things to get a reaction out of you, so she would most likely want to see how many times Mom-Mom pulls over in one trip! :ROTFLMAO:

monstah

Although knowing my child, she tends to do things to get a reaction out of you, so she would most likely want to see how many times Mom-Mom pulls over in one trip! :ROTFLMAO:

Yup, my DD would try to get us to pull over, LOL. It would work for my DS though.
Could you get her something special, like a bracelet, that stays in the car. If she unbuckles, you have to take the bracelet away. Could some variation of that help?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, oh, she's a pesky little cookie, isn't she??? :D

Yeah, just use any creative bribery you think might work and use it. Normally I'm against bribery, but in the case of carseat safety, it's justified ;)

Jennee

dawson will be 3 on sept 20th and he has undone his clip a couple times, i turned around, gave him a very serious look and told him "you dont ever undo that when the van is moving! you leave that done up!"
i think it took me telling him twice and he hasnt done it since. he will undo it when we are stopped sometimes though.
dont under estimate what your daughter can understand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC