I helped someone at BRU today

so I went in to replace a pack n play, and saw a grandfather looking at the 3 in 1 car seats, I was walking around looking for an employee and saw him looking at the efta.. I approached him and said, "I noticed you looking at the 3 in 1's and this, I highly recomend this one over the 3 in 1.. he started talking about how the eddie bauer was so pricey and his daughter thought that if he got that he was just paying for the name.. I told him "I would sooner get one of the cheaper sceneras than pay for the 3 in 1, I explained that kids out grow the height really fast and that they make terrible fitting booster seats.

I told him that while the EFTA only goes to 50 lbs, it is all 50 in a harness, and then you can get a turbo booster..

he then said "well her son is a year, she said he can forward face now.." I said "well legally yes, but remember that the law is the BARE minimum, what happens when you turn a child ffing is that they become 5 times less safe, I told him that if she turned the 1 year old around now he was at risk for internal decapiation, if they were in a crash.. I told him aap recommends 2 years and 30 lbs, I always say just rear face to the rear facing limits of the seat.. as long as the head is an inch below that shell" I explained bent knees being perfectly safe ect.. no documeted cases of broken legs.. I told him he could legally turn the 1 year old around so long as he is 20 lbs, but that it might make sense to research extended rear facing a bit.. that we just turned Fiona forward facing (Pointing at her)

he then asked me how I knew so much .. he goes "well you have three kids" I said yes, and that also I am friends with a lot of child passenger safety techs and am thinking of becoming certified myself..

He purchased the EFTA.. he said he was going to tell his daughter about keeping her son rear facing. yeay!

I am such a dork.. I was so embarassed but maybe I saved the kid from being ffing too soon and having a crappy 3 in 1... (it was one of the newer 50 lb ones, which aren't as crappy though.. but he said he was thinking of just getting one of the cheaper 3 in 1's on line so I assumed it was a 40 lb one )

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Good for you for encouraging ERF. Hopefully Grandpa can be of some influence there!

In all honesty, I wouldn't have steered him away from the 3-in-1. The new ones really aren't bad for RF and FF, just for the booster. Unless someone is looking at a seat that is completely inappropriate for their child, I won't outright discourage it, though I would point out potential shortcomings (i.e., "Please don't ever use this as a booster!")

When it comes to AOE vs. EFTA, I'd say it's mainly a matter of personal preference.

Good for you for encouraging ERF. Hopefully Grandpa can be of some influence there!

In all honesty, I wouldn't have steered him away from the 3-in-1. The new ones really aren't bad for RF and FF, just for the booster. Unless someone is looking at a seat that is completely inappropriate for their child, I won't outright discourage it, though I would point out potential shortcomings (i.e., "Please don't ever use this as a booster!")

When it comes to AOE vs. EFTA, I'd say it's mainly a matter of personal preference.

yea I did mention that the newer 50 lb one were decent.. I guess you are right, I just know they kind of suck to install and make horrid boosters..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC