How did you set up 3 kids in a minivan?

fyrfightermomma

We are discussing how to handle 3 kids in our minivan and what we want to do. We will have two RFing seats and one FF harness.

The problem is that Evelyn is NOT self sufficient at all. She still can't buckle or unbuckle herself, constantly drops stuff in the car and then screams forever to get it back and we are always reaching back there to get her something or give something back. She is an awful car driver. Because of her autism you can't reason with her like a normal child. She just doesn't get it and doesn't respond to discipline.

Sophia is pretty calm in the car as long as she doesn't lose anything.

So our options are

1. Two RFing kids in captains seats, Evelyn in the 3rd row

2. One FF, one RFing kid in Captains seats, Sophia in the 3rd row RFing

3. Both older kids in the third row, one RFing, one FFIng (but I only have one top anchor back there so when Sophia goes FFing shortly after one kid won't get one) and baby in the 2nd row with one captains seat stowed

4. All the kids in the 3rd row. with both captains seats stowed (still have the whole top tether problem for when FFing Sophia. We'll probably turn her around 3 1/2. So only 6 months after baby comes

My concern is, we still have to get Evelyn into her seat and buckle and unbuckle her. WIth her delays, she won't be able to anytime soon. So if I have two RFing seats in the 2nd row how do I get back there or reach her? Plus we have to tend to her the most. I don't see how I can get past two rear facing seats to get back there There's NO space between my RFing seats and my front seats

But if a RFing child is back there, how do I get past the other seats in the 2nd row to buckle. It doesn't seem very convienent. I'd have to climb completely back there to sit next to her and buckle her. I won't put her in through the hatch, sorry. Not gonna do it.

What did you guys find easiest? And what do I do when I have a 4th kid regarding tether anchors? There's only one back there so one kid gets cheated.

I really need ease of use. I have enough drama and craziness in my life and we are in and out of the car multiple times a day.

Oh yeah I have an 06 Grand Caravan.

ADS

APT

You have lots of options with the Stow N go. My sister put the older two kids in the 3rd row, stowed one middle seat for easier access.

I have my oldest FF in the 3rd row, and younger two in the middle. My wife and I can still reach the buckles my oldest some times struggles with. Rear facing may be easier/closer. The doors on the 2006 may have a little less room than our current 2008 as we never had child seats in our 2005/2007 T&C's. She can climb out either side door or hatch as we generaly keep the other side of the 3rd row down.

If your oldest needs the most attention, I'd start by trying oldest FF in the passenger captain chair so you can reach her. RF the other two in the 3rd row and stow the driver side middle seat so you can reach them. Another option may be the two older in the 3rd row as the middle child might be able to help the older in your case (and vice versa). Again, store one middle row seat. You have not quite 6 months and you know how much these little ones can change in maturity in and ability in 6 months.

As for only 1 tether in the 4rd row, you can add more, but I personally would not bother. I fail to see how paying $180 for a strap mounted to a seat bolt is safer than the tether attached directly to the seat frame the bolt is attached to. This is my opinion based on my own life experiences and knowledge, not approved by Chrysler or child seat manufacturers. My initial thoughts prior to DC3's birth.

Last edited:

christineka

I buckle the two in the back by reaching over the captain's chair that has the keyfit on it. I can't reach from the other side. The headrest has to be off the captain's chair or I can't reach. I also have to step up into the van. I'm only 5'2", so I'm not tall at all. I'm sure different model vans are different, though.

When both kids in back were rfing I sometimes went through the cargo door to buckle.

lynsgirl

I'd either put both RFers in the third row, with one 2nd row seat stowed, and dd1 in the other 2nd row seat

OR

Dd1 and new baby in 2nd row and dd2 in third row so that you have the option to reach both dd1 and the new baby if you need to. If dd2 is easygoing enough, I'd not worry too much about her being in the back by herself.

If you put both RF seats in the third row, I'd try to have them next to each other, giving you or dh (or whoever) room to sit next to the baby if necessary.

If it was me, I'd probably avoid putting dd1 in the third row at all right now.

Kayleen

I would definitely only do one child in the 2nd row and the other two in the back. Whatever configuration in safest and stow the unused second row seat so you have easy access to the 3rd row seating.

fyrfightermomma

The best bet sounds like two kids in back and one in the middle row with the 2nd row stowed so you can climb back there. I think that's what we will do. Since I don't want to put an infant back there, I'll probably stick both older kids back there and the younger one can help the older one.

My only concern is, these vans only have one top tether anchor in the back. The LATCH isn't quite in the middle, it's off centered and the tether anchor matches that. However I want the two seats outboard. Can I put a FF seat outboard but still use that centerish tether anchor? It'd be dumb if you cant since they only give you one. And then one kid won't be tethered 6 months later unless I fork over $180 for the tether anchor attachment thingy. I can't use LATCH if they are both back there since it's off centered so both would have to be outboard. Plus I don't want them directly next to eachother to annoy eachother. So how does the anchor work then? Who gets it?

My next van will NOT be this one!

AllieCanada

I have both of my DD's RF'ing in our third row and DS is FF'ing in our second row. I drive a 2000 MPV with only 2 tether anchors in the second row so I don't have the option of FF'ing in my third row. Most times I do up the girls from the trunk but I have also squeezed my butt between their seats and done them up from the inside. I have found that having both of them RF'ing in the third row is much easier than having one child in the third and two in the second row. DD1 is really good about climbing into her seat while I'm doing up DD2 and she can get her arms into her harness and then she just waits for me to do her up.

We have the marathon rear facing on the drivers side mid row, the frontier ffing on the passanger side second row, and then Julianna has the third row to her self with her parkway.. she doesn't like it back there, but it is a horrible bench seat for installing car seats on, I never get them tight back there no matter what.. the pull away from the seat 4 inches.

courtfrog2

I would work on for the next 6 months teaching you middle girl how to buckle herself in :).

Putting E and S in the back (one rear and one forward) is great for now. Sounds like S can help E.

Baby should go in the middle, stow the other one.

Then in 6 months, put E in the middle so she gets a tether, baby in the other middle, and S in the back with the only back tether (By then she may be able to buckle herself with minimal help... just checking afterwards. If you still need to help buckle, you can go through the back and reach over and help her. Thats how I used to get my kids in.

APT

Infant is easy in the 3rd row. Just drop/click right in. BBs don't need much attention prior to 4-6 months anyway.

$180 for a tether is cheaper than replacing your vehicle and the total vehicle cost is still less than even the Sedona when considering new van. Read the links I posted above and look at your vehicle. Specifically post #71 is interesting in using current LA as a tether for the driver side outboard.

K

kzenk

I am going through the same issue right now and my thought is 1 rf and ff in the bucket seats. Other rf in back. Reasoning is that with 2 rf in buckets you can't get through to the back anyway. This way you can go around the ff to get to the back. Once you turn them around, then there will be no worries!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What about E and baby in 2nd row and s in 3rd row. Do you have a 50/50 3rd row? You can flip one side down so you can get to her through the hatch if you need to buckle her.

We have had 2 rf in the 2nd row. I move the passenger seat all the way forward during the week. It helped me and the older kids get into the 3rd row when needed.

fyrfightermomma

What about E and baby in 2nd row and s in 3rd row. Do you have a 50/50 3rd row? You can flip one side down so you can get to her through the hatch if you need to buckle her.

We have had 2 rf in the 2nd row. I move the passenger seat all the way forward during the week. It helped me and the older kids get into the 3rd row when needed.

It's 60/40 if that makes a difference. I really don't want to get her in through the back cause we are naughty and always have stuff back there including our giant stroller. So for those who had a RFing kid in the 3rd row, was it easy to buckle them? I don't want the baby way back there just for the fact that I'm not gonna maneuver a bucket back there or lug one in bent over LOL. But Sophie would be fine back there. I just gotta figure out how tricky it is to buckle them. She's in a radian but I have no clue if it installs well there. That'd probably be the easiest seat to reach over the top and sides to buckle her from the front

melniemi

Which side is the tether anchor towards? I would put E there ffing and stow the captain's chair in front of her. Put the 2 rf'ers on the other side, one in the captain's chair (I would put baby there) and S in the 3rd row.

jerenaud

I have a 2006 Caravan, 2 forward facing harnessed kids and a baby.

When the baby first arrived I had her seat on the passenger side of the 3rd row and one of the older kids ff on the driver's side/ centre of the 3rd row (where the latch/ tether is). I stowed the passenger seat from the 2nd row and had the other harnessed seat in the other captain's chair.

When I tired of hoisting the infant seat that far, I changed things around. Now I have one harnessed seat in the 3rd row (with the '40' part stowed) and the baby and the child who needs help buckling in each of the captain's seats. My oldest sometimes needs help with her buckles; I get into the driver's seat and walk back, between the seats, to help her.

hope that helps,

Erica

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC