I am getting certified :)

NewfieMoma

I am just so excited... our city RARELY has CRST training, but Nancy called me at 930 this morning and was like if you can get a sitter for tonight, its on :)
So yay!!!!!! just thought I would share :)

ADS

NewfieMoma

It was fun :) It was an experience... I am doing a clinic a week :) Brampton has about 12 techs and only 1 instructor, so I am gonna try and help as much as possible :) It was really sad that the instructor had NEVER heard of the Radian as anything other then as a "aviation seat"
Plus they are not so much for RF past 1 year and 22lbs... The instructor looked at me funny when I said that my 34 month old was still RFing, which made me sad, but I am still gonna recommend to any parent who asks AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, or to the MAX RF weight the seat allows :)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It was fun :) It was really sad that the instructor had NEVER heard of the Radian as anything other then as a "aviation seat"
Plus they are not so much for RF past 1 year and 22lbs... The instructor looked at me funny when I said that my 34 month old was still RFing, which made me sad, but I am still gonna recommend to any parent who asks AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, or to the MAX RF weight the seat allows :)

Yikes! Is it an SJA course and SJA instructors? I thought most instructors at SJA Brampton was initially trained out of the Mississauga branch and most instructors I know from Mississauga advocate rf as long as possible, etc. But there are always a few instructors we have to hail from different places when our regulars can't teach due to schedule conflict. Anyway, that is pretty sad :(

NewfieMoma

She did originally come from Mississauga. She asked me how my daughter was comfortable sitting RF at her age and I was like umm she sits cross legged... She IS however keeping her DD RF till March, cause her seat goes to 35lbs and she does realize that RF is safer, but most parents are hell betton determined to jump to the next seat phase that they do not even bother. She just did the textbook reasons of why the infant stage is RF... I don't know the way that she approached the subject was more or less, you CAN say it... we do not push the issue, if the parent fills out the form and ask that the seat be turned FF and the child and the vehicle and the seat allow for it then we do it. Don't get me wrong, she is a good tech, she teaches very well, but seemed kinda irritated that I was asking about the RF protocols and studies and such. Like she taught us well, but it just seems like its well get the parent involved with the install, however really don't push the issue cause most parents don't care and so its just counterproductive to argue the issue.
The other tech I think she is a tech anyways... she is a BIG RFing advocate :) She just doesn't do much teaching anymore from what I can gather.

sparkyd

She just did the textbook reasons of why the infant stage is RF... I don't know the way that she approached the subject was more or less, you CAN say it... we do not push the issue, if the parent fills out the form and ask that the seat be turned FF and the child and the vehicle and the seat allow for it then we do it... Like she taught us well, but it just seems like its well get the parent involved with the install, however really don't push the issue cause most parents don't care and so its just counterproductive to argue the issue.

This was more or less my experience when I took my tech course. The unfortunate thing about that is that people who aren't already aware of ERF don't really get the best info in their training; not even any substantial discussion of going to the max of the seat or aiming for 2 years of age. Definitely no push to encourage parents in "best practice". At least not that I recall. I was disappointed.

QuassEE

It's unfortunate that not all instructors stay up-to-date with the latest research and media. Because instructors have a renewal period, and then techs also have a renewal period--if everything came from formal materials published for the curriculum (accounting for update delays there) we'd be looking at at up to over 5 years' delay in the propagation of new information through formal means alone. In my opinion, that's unacceptable..and it's one way in which the Canadian curriculum and distribution needs to be updated. However, there seems to be little interest and even less funding so it's really on those individual instructors (and subsequently, their students) in the end. If an instructor doesn't have a passion for CPS, they end up providing out-of-date and sub-standard training.

On the flip side--being a little too progressive may mean providing some information that has yet to be sufficiently proven, reviewed, or substantiated. It's possible that some instructors are not comfortable running that risk.

-Nicole.

Misty-Bug

that is awesome you are getting certified.
I found just talking to some teachers they were out of date.

lucky for me I have a great teacher not too far from me. ;) :D :thumbsup:

hipmaman

On the flip side--being a little too progressive may mean providing some information that has yet to be sufficiently proven, reviewed, or substantiated. It's possible that some instructors are not comfortable running that risk.

This sure can be the case with many instructors. Not all instructors are trained like we did by a passionate CRS authority either. I found out that many instructors were instructors not necessary because of their extensive CRS experience but instructors because they went through the 'adult learning' process and CRS is their chosen topic (eg. instead of something like Therapy Dog). ETA: they do have to be tech for certain number of years with certain level of experience though.

Last edited:

NewfieMoma

I am not sure, how she got involved, she said she has been in the tech area since 2004.
I am gonna do what I can to keep updated through you guys and my own reasearch and do my very best :)

selinajean

I am taking my certification on October 22nd. So excited!

I was told by the lady in charge that the certification does not expire. I found that a little odd. But it sounds as if it does have a renewal period that needs to be considered?

Misty-Bug

I was told by the lady in charge that the certification does not expire. I found that a little odd. But it sounds as if it does have a renewal period that needs to be considered?

as far as I knew it is a three year expiry. It is better to keep up to date as well along with the certification. there is always something new to learn

hipmaman

There is certainly a 3-yr duration for the national-recognized SJA certification. Are you taking it with SJA?

selinajean

There is certainly a 3-yr duration for the national-recognized SJA certification. Are you taking it with SJA?

I don't know what SJA is. :confused:
The course is through the Justice Institute of BC. http://learning.jibc.ca/TPOnline/TPOnline.dll/Public Class/CLASSNO=CLAS2009090310590205360317
I was directed to this course by the BCAA Traffic Safety Foundation
CPS Program Manager. This is a quote from her email:

There is no expiry date to this certification. You will have to show that you are active to maintain your status on TSF's Educator list. Once a year you will receive a request from TSF regarding your activity.

QuassEE

Not to be down on what Marg is doing here in BC..but that isn't the nationally recognized course. It's a provincial one, and although it is recognized at the provincial level it isn't quite the same as the St. John Ambulance program.

-Nicole.

selinajean

Not to be down on what Marg is doing here in BC..but that isn't the nationally recognized course. It's a provincial one, and although it is recognized at the provincial level it isn't quite the same as the St. John Ambulance program.

-Nicole.

That annoys me. That is extremely misleading. :mad:

So what is the difference between the courses? And how do I go about taking the other one? I just looked in the SJA course brochure online and it isn't mentioned.

*grumble* I'm a little peeved that I just paid $75 for a course that isn't the real deal especially when I really don't have the extra money to spend on this right now.

QuassEE

How long is her course? I believe the National one is a bit longer and a little bit more in-depth. I think Marg does part of her course as home study versus in the classroom.

My recommendation would be to take the course. It's difficult to get into a National course here in BC, because we only have two instructors. The other instructor charges quite a bit for her course, and myself I can only offer the course every so often due to the expense of it. It would be interesting for you to take the course, and then audit/test on the SJA one the next time we run a course.

I would hope that the knowledge you'll gain from the Justice course would be worthwhile, and I know that BCAA/BCTSF has some issues with accepting the *SJA* course, of all things! It's really quite a silly situation.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC