Please help me choose a Convertible Carseat (child with shunt)

U

Unregistered

I am needing help choosing a convertible carseat for my son. He has spina bifida and a shunt. I would like something that would be comfortable for his back and also one that has side head protection, bc I feel that if he was ever in an accident it would protect his head better esp. on the side where his shunt is located. He is 6 months right now and weighs around 16 lbs. He is not real long. And I drive a Toyota Sequoia, my husband drives a Jeep Cherokee. I was thinking a Britax Boulevard for my car and possibly the Recaro Signo or Como for my DH's car (the one on sale right now, I believe 2008 model) since he won't be riding in his car as much. But I am not 100% on either. Please help me to find a great seat that will be comfortable for his back and be great protection for his head. I am just lost and need help. Thanks!!

ADS

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Does he have visible hydrocephalus (ie. is his head big?)?
And does he have any head control issues?
Also, one last question, does he have full sensation in his lower extremities?

Hopefully we can help!

jess71903

Ambassador
My son has spina bifida and a shunt and we have a True Fit. It has deep sides with EPP foam all around. It has tons of RF leg room, which is good since he has braces and it would be a pain to take them off and put them back on every time we were in and out of the car. I'm not sure the Britax seats, and especially the Recaro seats would give you enough room if braces are in your future. At 2 years old and braces that com to about 2" below his knees, we have no trouble with leg room in the True Fit.

My #1 concern is to keep him rear-facing as long as humanly possible because he already has a compromised neurological system. Gage also had a Chiari decompression in June which involved removing parts of his 1st 2 cervical vertebre. Since this leaves him even more vulnerable, he will be getting a Radian 65 when the new baby gets here so he can rear-face to 40lbs. You could also look at the new Complete Air as it also has a tall shell and a 40lb RF weight limit.

If you have any other concerns, I'd be happy to help!

firemomof3

I would look at the Graco MyRide, Radian and Safety First Complete Air. All these seats rf to 40lbs. which will enable you to keep him rf as long as possible, which is the safest way for him to travel :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

No my son does not have visible hydrocephalus, by looking at him you would prob. never know that he has it. When he gets old enough we will probably have to use braces on his legs, so this will be a factor as well. He also has great head control right now. Thanks for your responses!

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
That's wonderful! Sounds like he's doing well. In that case, I would also agree with the other posts above....keep him rear-facing to 40lbs in one of those seats mentioned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC